Throws for Self-Defence

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Punchy, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Punchy

Punchy Purely Practical

Hi All,

Would you comment on whether you have found Judo throws effectivefor self-defence? Does the need for kuzushi (getting the opponent off balance first) to make Judo throws any less effective cause any problems?

Are wrestling throws (or other throws) better for self-defence?

I am focusing on standup grappling not groundwork, and trying to determine whether some Judo training may be useful for self-defence or whether I would be better with wrestling or some other grappling style.

Thank you!

2. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

In my opinion Judo and wrestling are pretty even in the self defence stakes. Its the knowledge and understanding of how your and anyone attacking you's balance, weight and body movement act in a clinch situation that make them good for self defence not necessarily there individual techniques.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  3. Punchy

Punchy Purely Practical

Thanks for the quick response.

So does that mean you are better off simply trying both systems and seeing which suits you best, rather than trying to compare techniques at a technical level?

4. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

I would say to not only "try", but actually work on one for awhile then move onto the next.

You really cannot get a good comparison nor any good understanding of either if you only "try them"

5. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Good responses so far. Both Judo and Boxing are really geared towards self defense. Both apply a no-nonsense approach. They both have little if any spiritual baggage and they both tend to stay away from idol worship of the instructors. So that makes it appealing to many.

If your focus is on standing then Judo is most likely your best bet. Primarily because it's far more accessible than is wrestling if you are not in a high school or college that has a program. And even then it's very groundwork focused.

As 47 martial man pointed out... it's important to get a grounding in one or the other. Just scratching the surface usually doesn't do it. The ideas or concepts in boxing and judo are not a million miles off from each other. Timing, entry and balance are big big concepts in both styles.

6. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

this is pretty much my advice for any what martial art should I do questions.

7. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Just as a note, you'll need to unbalance someone to mount any effective takedown. It's not exclusive to judo, it's a fundamental part of any grappling, standing or otherwise.

8. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

judo and wrestling share many takedowns as well as the concept of unbalancing. heck so does aikido an every grappling.

do either judo or wrestling and work on SD style situations

9. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

no

10. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

kuzushi!

11. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

The wrestling single leg or double legs may be faster to execute. But if you miss that leg, you may end in an uncomfortable position. If you "press" your opponent down, when he resists (trying to stand up), you then borrow his upward force and throw him, you won't be in any dangerous if you can catch the right timing. The more that you can give, the more that you can take.

12. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

gesundheit!! :banana:

13. finite monkey

finite monkey Thought Criminal

In a SD setting judo shines. When playing judo with a judoka, so much is to do with tricking uke to react in a certain way to set up the throw or combination

If some random attacker launches a commited attack there is no need for subdefuge as your uke will, in thier attempt to grab or strike, put thier balance and thus themselves at toris' mercy. All tori need do is chanel the momentum of uke.

14. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

ευχαριστώ :love:

15. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

Happy Feet Cotton Tail Valued Member

I may break the mould here and vote for Judo rather than -both equal-... ..purely because Judo includes Gi work. While we are talking about pure "self defence", I think an understanding of how clothing can help and hinder your grappling is a MASSIVE advantage.

I'm a reasonably competent No-gi grappler but when I roll in Gi with BJJ, Judo or JJJ guys I am often quickly reminded of all the things that you can and can't do when grappling in loose sleeved clothing, that you wouldn't and would be able to do in rash-guard and shorts.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  16. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

For the same reason somebody might say Wrestling BECAUSE there is no-gi. Thus a more realistic standard of training. Not that I'm saying that, I'm just kinda playing devils advocate xD

17. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

Because so often in life both the assailant and yourself are dressed tight spandex when fighting.

In all fairness that's what I used to think, however I now recognise that most "trouble" is going to happen when at least one of you is dressed. And chances are those clothes that you are wearing while waiting in a cue for a club or walking home from work aren't skin-tight (designed for grappling) rash guards.

18. Oddsbodskins

Oddsbodskins Troll hunter 2nd Class

H'mm, but then you have to allow for the relative insubstantiality of most clothing, even a fairly robust hoody will rip when used like a Gi, which changes the result of the technique all over again.

19. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

Clothing isn't going to tear off you like the hulk, even if it does rip it will more likely than not just lose its form but still remain attached to your body. To actually tear away -and completely free yourself from someone who has gotten a good two fistfuls of even an office work shirt requires a good bit of force. So I don't think "clothing rips" is such an easy dismissal of Gi work.

Seriously even simple level drop takedown gets stuffed by someone holding onto one of your lapels and pushing against you. What is a safe position in No-gi is easily threatened by gi chokes etc etc

Clothing isn't a massive game changer, the mechanics stay the same but certain concepts and techniques come in to play that complicate matters. If I want to hold onto the sleeve of your hoody in a clinche, I can stump most -if not all- of your attempts at under or over-hooks just by holding my arm out and down. Likewise if you get hold of my jacket and apply a quick gi choke in the clinch, it's lights out for me. These are just some of the tricks and tactics that appear when dressed.

Considering the technical efficiency of Wrestling and Judo aren't too far apart from each-other the fact that Judo will teach me how to deal with other peoples clothing and teach me grappling habits that will help me minimize the disadvantages of my own really does tip the scales for me. Assuming all other factors are equal.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  20. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

That's what I used to think, then I realized that no-gi can be used for BOTH situations :p