Throwing up ?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Bon, Dec 16, 2002.

1. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

Often when I'm training, I train to the point where I throw up, or I get very close to it. I generally go pretty hard when I'm training, as close to full out as possible. Tonight I think I wrestled somewhere between 10-20min before I was easily being thrown around like a rag doll, as someone else puts it, 'my missus would have beaten you up!' I had a cup of coffee, piece of fudge, piece of caramal slice & a le rice about two hours before training.

In my previous training session, where I was doing laps in the pool, I did throw up after doing around 13 laps and I only had a glass of juice about an hour before (no breakfest).

Does anyone have any ideas why ?

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

.... TaDaaaaa........

Seems pretty obvious. An engine can't run without fuel in the tank!

3. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

Yeh, what about tonight though ?

I have been jogging before on an empty stomach and haven't thrown up..

4. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

from my some experiences(good n bad) u should take something lite at least half n hour-45 min before practice... especially some orange juice... it helps...
    but i never throw up because of empty stomach...
    -TkdWarrior-

5. Cain

Cain New Member

Our MA teacher once had made us sit in a position where u lie in ur back and then bring ur torso and legs up and hold there for 20 minutes Some guys were even crying and the teacher told them to to rest after they could bear it no more, but he was really hard on the experienced, I threw up after about 5 minutes...my god my stomach burned like hell the next day...

I think u should choose ur exercises which to throw up, I mean when I was once doing puch-ups till failure, my arms simply lost control and SMACK The sound of my chin kissing the floor......believe me it ain't funny nor is it pleaseant to being smacked like that.

|Cain|

6. KarateKid1975

KarateKid1975 New Member

It happened to me a few times. When I was still in TSD, I trained hard. We were doing a lot of jump and spinning kicks ..... OMG!!! I ate before I went too .... big mistake! I just made it to the bathroom. The other time was during a sparring clinic. I was going hard there also, and I lost it after about five minutes. I ate before that too. Now I eat light before class (about two hours before). I have a class of juice an hour before class, then it's nothing but water or a sports drink. I seem to do fine with that. Everyone is different, though. Find what works for you.

7. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

Okay, throwing up isn't necessarily bad... :D

Everyone is different, though. Find what works for you.

True, nice!

8. Cain

Cain New Member

I never said that throwing up is bad I just meant that you should'nt throw up in some exercises unless of course you have a spotter, surely you would'nt want to throw up in a bench press without hving a spotter otherwise you can get a BIG heart attack even at ur age :D

|Cain|

9. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

lol!

it'll be more motivation to get that bar off me! :D

10. dredleviathan

dredleviathan New Member

Chunder

Erm... just my opinion of course but do you really think that you should be training to the point that you vomit at all? OK it happens that way sometimes but this shouldn't be your aim. It seems to me that this is an indication that you are over-stressing yourself and that your body is reacting against that. If you don't listen to your body then somewhere down the line you will do yourself more harm than good. How often are you talking about by the way - every day, twice a week, once a week, once a month?

And what the hell was that about not throwing up unless you have a spotter (apart from the obvious catching the weights)? What its suddenly ok because you have a witness or someone to fetch a bucket? Would you want to spot for someone that was aiming to chuck up?

There's a difference between training intensely and training beyond your abilities. I mean train hard but train sensibly please! Training progressively with small regular increments is going to have better long term benefits than pushing yourself to voimit point all the time.

I think I've been training in various martial arts for about 8 years now (at different points in my life) and I've never puked as a result of training. I have seen it happen in really hard sparring classes but this wasn't the aim of the person to get to that point. I think once in a while I've felt a bit light-headed or dizzy - thats about it. That's not to say I didn't give it all I had but it just seems a bit nuts to be vomiting all the time. I've bled, spat bits of tooth out, broken bones, strained ligaments, pulled muscles etc etc but please note not on purpose.

As other people on this forum have suggested you should look to your pre- and post-training nutrition to make sure you are fuelling yourself correctly and then maybe the next time you are having a hard session perhaps ease off just before throwing up. Then build the intensity up again and then ease off a bit if you feel ill. Eventually your stamina will increase through such a progressive approach. And then if you really insist upon it have a vomit session once in a while.

Come to think of it one of our Thai instructors does call his hard workouts a "vomit sesssion" but they always leave me fighting for air not to keep my food down. How many others of you regularly push yourselves to this point?

11. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

. It seems to me that this is an indication that you are over-stressing yourself and that your body is reacting against that. If you don't listen to your body then somewhere down the line you will do yourself more harm than good.
    words from wise :)
    good post dre
    -TkdWarrior-

12. Cain

Cain New Member

My answer is 'failure' throwing up does not necessarrily mean u aim to injure urself, but you are training for endurance, doing an exersice until u can go no further, ie reps till failure.

Remember injury and training till failure are two totally different things.

|Cain|

13. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

u know wat u throw is corrosive n u r used to do regularly...it'll harm ur teeth...??
    -TkdWarrior-

14. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

My last post was reeking with sarcasm, btw.

I don't aim to throw up, but it does seem to happen a few times a month...

15. Cain

Cain New Member

:confused:

Did not see wat exactly u mean.....if u r talking about my chin smacking the floor, I meant to say that you hv to choose carefully which exercises to continue till failure...after all wat can happen to you except for muscle soreness which recovers easily.

But I never try flexibility exercises like that that u know.... a pulled muscle is wat u get from it [Or at least wat I get from it :D ]

|Cain|

16. mattsylvester

mattsylvester One proud daddy!

I throw up through over exertion as Yoda can testify! I was training with some guys at Dave's grappling seminar and was blowing chunks after only about 5 mins of sparring.

I think fitness and breathing have something to do with it as well as I also puke after and during boxing training.

17. dredleviathan

dredleviathan New Member

Sorry perhaps I should have been more accurate with my opinion previously.

My point wasn't that this doesn't happen i.e. people puke through exertion all the time. My point really was that if this is happening to you on a regular basis then maybe you should lay off these sessions a bit or chill them down a little and work on your conditioning until you can handle the sessions? The other alternaive that I suggested was to push yourself to the point just before puking then calm it for a bit before upping the intensity again. Kind of like the interval training that Yoda has mentioned before (i.e. sprint a bit, jog a bit, walk a bit, then sprint again). If you're training for competition then it sort of mimicks that quite well. You don't go full blast in the first round at the risk of burning out shoudl the fight go on to further rounds.

Or if the vomit thing is simply a nutrition thing then sort this out and save yourself the trouble. Maybe I'm wrong.

I think that vomiting regularly could have the potential for causing problems in the stomach or digestive tract due to the amount of acid it contains. Also as mentioned this can cause problems with your teeth if it becomes such a regular thing (as with Bulimia and other eating disorders). Again I could be wrong but personally I don't want to experiment on myself to find out. Also I hate cleaning puke up even when its my own.

Its not that I don't train hard myself or condone hard training in general but as I said before its best to train hard but also to train smart (sounds familiar).

Doing any exercise to failure or beyond must increase the likelihood of picking up an injury as you have technically lost control. This is obviously most likely when training with weights and unspotted. Its seems less likely doing body-weight exercises. I'm pretty impressed at your commitment to this regime cain_charlie - taking a nose dive into the floor! Do you also do sit-ups until you get a hernia and pull ups until you fall to the floor?

Have you heard of pyramids or ramping? I think you might find them useful and less injurous!

But then its possible I'm wrong and the reason I'm not a fantasitc martial artist is that I simplty haven't puked enough.

18. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

the reason I'm not a fantasitc martial artist is that I simplty haven't puked enough.
    lol that cracked me up...
    count me in dude with u...i havn't puked it once(only once had a feeling that too becuase i ate 1/2 hr before)
    actually u r rite...u increase the chances of injury with over training ur body...
    if u got seriously injured then u don't get sensu beans to heal u up :)
    -TkdWarrior-

19. Cain

Cain New Member

I agree that it definitely is not advisable to train in such conditions.

I hv often felt like puking sometimes and I hv stopped training immediately the moment I felt like puking.

But then that is not called as 'throwing up' ...throwing up I think is pushing ur body to the limit to gain endurance, in other words endurance training.

|Cain|

20. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

"throwing up I think is pushing ur body to the limit to gain endurance, in other words endurance training."

endurance is when u reach ur body limit n u do a jut a bit more...

throwing up is when u reach ur body limit n u try to reach it again by over excercising...with this way u gain endurance i hope not...

-TkdWarrior-