throwing techniques

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by mike-IHF, Aug 16, 2003.

1. mike-IHF

mike-IHF Valued Member

I like throwing and entering techniques the best because its quick and allows you to focus on more than one person at a time.thats something you don't find in TKD.

2. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Some people teach TKD with throws. It seems to be down to the individual instructor.

3. John_IHF

John_IHF New Member

Mike... Mike Merchant???

4. hapkiyoosool

hapkiyoosool Valued Member

Throwing techniques as well as the immobilzations are very good.
    I have seen TKD takedowns. You cannot compare them. At all.

TKD mind and HKD mind are completely different.

Having grown up with Koreans and in Korea, I can tell you this truth.

Hapkido has no kicks in the techniques.

TKD is 90% kicks.

You cannot study both at the same time and be proficient at both, one as well as the other.

If this opens up a can of worms, I could use a few to go fishing.

5. TigerAn1

TigerAn1 A Southern Praying Mantis

"Having grown up with Koreans and in Korea, I can tell you this truth.

Hapkido has no kicks in the techniques."

Master Allen:

I've seen publications showing kicks used in hapkido techniques. One reference is Robert Spears, Hapkido- The Integrated Fighting Art. Spear outlines at least 4 kicks to use in a combative situation. Our Master was born and raised in Korea. He attended and graduated from your Yongin University. He is 6th Dan TKD, 4th Dan HKD, and 1st Dan Judo. He teaches us kicks in the HKD class, although it is not expounded upon as our other techniques. I'm only a yellow belt in HKD, but I cannot understand why kicks would not be used.

Steve

6. hapkiyoosool

How it changed

The original intent of learning kicks in Hapkido was to learn how to defend against them. Kicking someone in a confrontation takes one of your feet off the ground and unbalances you. It also opens you up to tackles from the attackers friends. People in general do not attack alone. You need to defend against each person as fast as they attack and make sure they will not attack a second time. Some can take a direct kick or punch (except to pressure points-you better be acurate and perfect which is not always possible in combat), rip out their joints whether it be limbs or spine and they do not get up. If I have a hold on someone and try kick someone else at the same time, Where is my center of balace to throw the held person? what if that person catches my foot or I miss because they see it coming. What they are street wise to kicks and seem them too often and expect them, then I am in a deep problem. Kicking is great if you keep it below the waist as long as you are not holding on to someone who can pull you off balance. I would never use a kick as a defense, myself. Your feet are made to balance your body and support you, pull your foundation from your house and see what happends. Hapkido has changed from person to person through the years. Most Hapkido teachers were TaeKwonDo first. Hapkido is rooted from AIkijujutsu where there are no kicks but steps into the leg joints. Not Kicks. People tend to misread movements from books and other sources. What may look like a kick to you may not be to the author. Sometimes in books the movements must be overexaggerated so they may be seen clearly in a still picture that would otherwise be overlooked. In result, it looks like a kick when it is not. It looks like a hard punch when it is not. I hope this helps you understand more.

7. TigerAn1

TigerAn1 A Southern Praying Mantis

Master Allen:

Thank you for the explanation Sir. Most of the kicks we were taught to use are lower body attacks to the ankle, knee, and shin.
    The other kicks were not taught in the context of combative HKD. Rather, I believe they may have been taught for learning the basics so to speak. Just my opinion.

Steve H

Last edited: Jan 14, 2004
  8. Silver Dragons

Silver Dragons Valued Member

Master Allen:

This is great! I had already started a discussion about the likeness of Classical Hapkido and Daito Ryu Aiki Jujitsu....and here I have a master of Classical Hapkido right under my nose. I have been trying to research alot about your style of Hapkido since it is unchanged of how Dojunim Choi taught it. I am a student of a Ji Han Jae style Hapkido(Song Moo Kwan) which is more to my liking (what can i say I love Kicks!!!). However, since I love Hapkido in all its forms I plan to train in its other style besides the one derived from Grandmaster Ji. The ones I am most interested in are Combat Hapkido and your style which concentrates more on Aiki jujitsu. feel free to check out the website of my dojo and Grandmaster Song-il Park www.hapkidopanama.com

9. hapkiyoosool

Thank You for the compliment!

Silver Dragons:

Thank you for the compliment!

If you need any information you may contact me through the website at http://www.hapkiyoosool.com or the American HQ website at http://www.intlhapkido.com

We are inviting everyone to our seminar with Grandmaster Jang from Korea in Florida at the American HQ. You can see all the information on the events section on the American HQ Website.

I saw your website, unfotunately I do not speak Spanish at all. It is a great website. I congratulate you.

10. Kosh

Kosh New Member

I was looking at your site and notice a picture of GM Kim Duk In, he is my Masters father.

11. Silver Dragons

Silver Dragons Valued Member

Kosh:

I have been trying to look for more information on GM Park's peers at the time of his training. Apparently they were some of the first to ever train under Ji Han Jae. I would like to know more about GM Kim Duk In.

12. Kosh

Kosh New Member

This is the website for the Durham branch of Duk Moo, GM Kim's academy.

http://www.dur.ac.uk/hapkido.club/menu.htm

There is some info there as well as some pictures if GM Kim, including one of GM Kim with GM Choi and a group of prominent Grand Masters, including Ji Han Jae.