Three Styles Too Much?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by nintyplayer, Sep 17, 2013.

1. nintyplayer

nintyplayer Valued Member

I've been doing Shaolin kung fu for a little over a year and tai chi for a couple of months. Recently, I heard that one of the Japanese professors at the University I go to is willing to teach Aikido for free if enough people come to him and ask him about it. I'd love to learn some Aikido, and as a student the price tag seems excellent to me, but I'm already doing CMA for about 4-5 days a week, clocking in at around 2 hours per day. Would adding Aikido into the mix be detrimental at this point, or is it a good opportunity I shouldn't pass up?

2. shootodog

shootodog restless native

Yeah, why not? I'd do it.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

At one time I was doing Thai, sub-grappling/mma, Rapid Arnis and BJJ all in one week.
    It was great. :)

4. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

I'm doing 3 styles at the moment. Not a big problem if you can manage time well. I'd go for the class if I were you. :)

5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

My weekly schedule (training, not teaching) consists of Full Contact Karate, boxing, Judo and No-Gi, and I do just fine.

6. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

If I were you, I'd try it!

I'm doing Tai Chi, and going a couple of times a week to the sparring class at my Kung Fu school (pretty much kickboxing), and getting ready to add some JKD/FMA as well.

I'm not sure how long I can keep all that up, but I will see.

I think it is worth a shot - try it an you can always re-evaluate later.

7. OwlMAtt

OwlMAtt Armed and Scrupulous

No reason to turn down free training, if you've got the time.

8. hext

hext Valued Member

Yep, go for it..

I'm Karate, BJJ, Jujitsu (Modern) and MMA

9. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

is there any concern of not getting really good at one, just being kind of average at a bunch? i'm just wondering what people think. for awhile recently i was doing grappling at my gym and adding boxing once a week. now, i'm pretty much full on ground/standup gi/no-gi grappling, no striking. but that's really only because i don't have time for anything else except grappling.

10. cheng oi

cheng oi American Nightmare

I was going to do the same thing - but I just cannot accept something that isn't Chinese - I tried though - I know so many forms that I don't have time to be good at any of them

11. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

A word of caution: if you already train 2 hours per day, every day, then adding more will get you the risk of burning out on MA altogether, unless you have enough free time left to relax and unwind.

12. cheng oi

I can't even find time to get to most of them & if I did - I probably wouldn't have energy that day ---- always something --- I need to get back to my physical conditioning - some people are probably really good at 1 thing -- & that probably works out well for them

13. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

Do what you like.
    Do not leave what you enjoy for a maybe.
    That is how i see it.
    Now i often moonlight with other styles but i break from one for a week or a couple days and train with others and then go back to my first love. Jun Fan Gung Fu.

14. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

what does this mean: "i just cannot accept something that isn't chinese."

15. cheng oi

as far as martial arts go - it's just my personal preference - nothing bad -

16. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

It means he posts before he thinks

17. cheng oi

no it doesn't - it means I like Chinese - I like all the Asian people - but not all martial arts

18. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

And if you never try anything BUT then you have no frame of reference - Other than ethnic origin what makes a style "Chinese" anyway? It's such a ridiculous statement because the disparity between the individual arts there is huge. Is there an elemnt of "Chineseness" that marks it out?

19. cheng oi

I have tried other things - I am just not interested -

Argue all you want - you wont change me

I guess what makes them Chinese is that they are CHINESE

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  20. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

That... makes no sense whatsoever? :confused: