Three questions about grading

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Brigid, Jun 27, 2015.

1. Brigid

Brigid Kung Fu Mother

Anyone who's even had a brief squint at my training log might have noticed that I have been planning to do grading for my black sash in a month's time but that I have had an ankle injury and patchy success with maintaining what I would think of as sufficient preparation for said event.

So I've got the form to fill out and am asking myself a question which I would like to ask others - is there any point in doing a grading if you are fairly sure you're going to fail? I'm planning to continue to prepare but because of my ankle injury I feel passing is a reasonably remote possibility. BTW - I'm expecting most responses would be a simple "no", but would be grateful for any thoughts please.

A second question is whether there are people here who do martial arts without gradings either because they choose not to do gradings or because it's not part of the MA they do. How does that work in terms of your development as a MA?

And a third question to black sashes is what does it mean to you to attain that grading and what is it's significance in your MA?

2. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I have done grading and have been completely sure that I would fail. Completely certain. I maintained my composure though, did not give in to despair and as often as not passed anyway.

I no longer do a graded martial art really. I mean, someone sticks a new belt in your face in BJJ, says alright you're ready now, or they don't. In terms of my own development, it's made me focus more on the techniques and praxis of jiu jitsu. I think this has helped me - I thrive in a more freeform, low pressure environment. Not sure why, I am an anxious creature and prefer martial arts to be like play than like work.

3. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I have never looked into you log, so sorry if that's a stupid question now: But what about just waiting a few months longer with the grading and do it, once your ankle is well again?

As for my own experiences: Since it was only two gradings so far (one in JJ and the first in Judo last Wednesday) I can hardly offer anything useful.

I was rather certain (well, actually: Absolutely sure) that I would fail my first and so far only JJ grading.
    My teacher essentially laughed at me, told me that he would deny me my judgement in that case and forced me to be tested anyway ;)
    I passed, but again: It was the first grading. So I could probably have danced my name and would have passed :D

4. Robinhood

Robinhood Banned Banned

It's OK, usually you need some kind of progression to learn everything and reference stuff for passing along system.

Later on it will not mean much. It is only after you learn all that stuff, you move past it and start learning again from the real life stuff. It is like learning to spell, then words, then how to use them together.

5. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Interesting situation. My sensei doesn't invite anyone to test if he isn't at least reasonably sure the student will pass. Tests cost money and time, after all. My suggestion-talk to your instructor about the injury and ask if it's a good idea to test now. I've found that good instructors are concerned about student safety.

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I returned to ITF Taekwon-do a few weeks ago after some years away. During the "break" I was doing karate. I'm only a 1st Dan in ITF even though I've been doing it since I was about 15 or 16. My focus has only ever really been on competition, so black belt was just something I had to get so I could fight the best people. I got to 2nd Dan in WTF TKD and 3rd Dan in karate, but those were because I was in a coaching position in both sports and needed to progress in terms of teaching qualifications.

I don't spar anymore (even in class) because of long-term injuries, but because I'm focused on forms competitions, rank is yet again a criteria for facing better skilled opponents. So in the next 6-12 months I expect to take my 2nd Dan in ITF TKD. And that's all the black belt/sash means to me.

7. Brigid

Brigid Kung Fu Mother

That's an option I am considering for sure because it's the obvious thing to do. But it's difficult to see in advance exactly how far out I am from the standard I need to be at. Unlike other gradings, there is a much bigger focus on sparring which is not my strong suit. I do need to have a longer conversation with my sifu but I was interested to hear about other people's experience and views on the issues I have asked about.

8. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I would talk to your sifu, and if possible take some time for your ankle to heal, rehab it, and concentrate on your week points untill you can grade again, its better to be a great black sash then an OK one.

9. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

But if that's the case it can only be good, to get a little more time, so you can progress there as well?
    Plus: How good can you perform, if you're concerned all the time of your ankle (or maybe you aren't; I probably would be)?

Personally I would give my ankle the time it needs to heal properly, because I wouldn't gain anything out of it, if I rush it and it takes even longer to heal properly.
    (I didn't do it with a groin strain that wasn't even bad and ended up running around with it for nearly a year until I took a *total* break for six weeks and got slowly back then; my broken arm didn't take so much time :eek: )

Then again I prefer to be good with my current grading instead of a "meh" next belt :D
    (EDIT: Before it comes to a misunderstanding: Not saying you're different there; I wouldn't know after all ^^)

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  10. Brigid

Brigid Kung Fu Mother

Yes, yes and yes again....I have been thinking about this specific point for quite a while. I really don't want to do the grading, be middling and just do enough not to fail. I really don't want that.

Thanks to all for your thoughts today. I'd still welcome any further thoughts on my questions.