thoughts on this video (warning CHI)

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by airweaver, Apr 25, 2008.

1. unfetteredmind

unfetteredmind Valued Member

I don't really have the time to answer all these points thoroughly so if I may, I'll just pick a few that jump out at me. Please don't think this is dismissive, if there is anything in particular I don't address that you'd like me to let me know.

I agree that at the heart all practitioners are doing the same thing. Huang's method definitely emphasises the vertical circle, it is fundamental to what we do.
    It's not forbidden!! My understanding is that Huang emphasised training the Yi. He adapted a White Crane form which we call the Quickfist and taught it as a key part of his system as he felt this enabled the Yi to be trained more fully than it was in CMC's system. Some say he emphasised training the final part of the vertical circle, the issuing of force, whereas other practitioners emphasised other aspects such as yielding or neutralising. I'm not sure I agree with that but I can see why it is said.
    [/QUOTE]

2. unfetteredmind

They're not really facts then are they?
    Perhaps you have seen things that look similar, doesn't mean they were the same. I've seen loads of people look like they're getting shot in movies but none of them were. Doesn't mean no-one ever gets shot. To judge Huang by what other, unconnected people do is not very sensible.
    How do you know this?
    Actually he's too dead but what a strange thing to say. How could you possibly know what kind of man he was?
    Is it. Who claimed this and where? And what constitutes an objective environment?
    Now this I can agree with.

Well I agree that they are beliefs. As for the no reasonable facts or evidence consider this; I have met and trained with 2 of the people in the video. Talked with them about the years they spent training with Huang. I was thrown around like a rag doll by both of them. I have trained this system for 8 years and am able to apply what I have learnt against people from various arts, not just others who train Taiji.
    As for the conclusions you have come to: You have never met anyone involved, never trained with them, your beliefs are based on limited video footage of Huang, doing a very specific training exercise and largely seem to be based on the fact that you have met other people who claimed to be able to do something you consider to be similar but couldn't. Oh and those "facts" that you say you don't know to be true.
    I know who I think has the most evidence.

As for the whole physics thing, one of those people in the video has a PhD in physics and so does someone in my class. Both are of the mind that what you see Huang doing is based on sound physical principle. As am I.

Yeah I like it - good advice.

3. unfetteredmind

Fortunately I am not concerned about looking daft. Which is great because it enables me to explore what I want to without worrying what others think. It's very liberating. Imagine giving someone else the control over your direction just because you worry what they think. Now that would be really daft.

4. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Any good TCC guys in North Alabama?

5. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Be careful this is what happened to the last guy that crossed the mystical, magical mushie chomping martial artist.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBsxqQIu_5s"]YouTube[/ame]

6. jorvik

jorvik Valued Member

I used to train with a guy who was blind ( not Zatoichi:p)..........and he was about 5ft tall, I'm 5ft 10 and weigh about 15stone...and I like weight training and hitting bags. However when I did sticking hands with this guy he could use his positioning so that I would immediately find my self "compressed" I would end up stooped over and finding it hard to move or breath..the only way I could negate this was by shuffling back, sometimes he was quicker and I would end up jumping back.I have no doubt that what I did looked fake or even daft. Now when I see stuff in vid clips that looks false or fake I think of that guy...............(and don't misunderstand me now, in a streetfight I would give him back his head)..but you need positioning and body strategy. The clip of the tai chi guy I posted has all that
    here is another clip of this
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrjiVwGHN14&feature=related"]Punch in Taijiquan - YouTube[/ame]

you see folks will listen to something in a language that they speak...some folks relate to a "hook and a cross" others to Zanshin or whatever, but it is all martial speak:).....look at this "mystical " rubbish ( Joke)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcHWP_uuM_U"]Val Riazanov and Systema Ballistic Striking - YouTube[/ame]

For the record they are both Good in my book.just different expalanations from different cultures

7. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

Oh really? So tell me, what do you know of eating bitter?

8. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

Well then tell me - why don't MMA people do that? Or boxers? Why haven't they developed that kind of ability?

And even in China - why is it that san da people don't do that? I mean, they've got access to all the top guys in the world in CMA pretty much - so, why don't they do that?

9. jorvik

jorvik Valued Member

RANDOMNESS
    ( sorry to shout :)).......IMHO anyway .......Real World violence is like that..unexpected, unanticipated, unprepeared and at the most unlikely , unexpected time...random.that is what the Samurai trained for ( with Zen ) ......how do you prepare for 9/11?......... you must accept the time to die...and it is not your time, it is inconvenient, you haven't made your first million, or got laid enough, or whatever...............that is real world..but I don't want to depress folks too much:eek:

10. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

ALL of that can be explained by kuzushi and maai. The guy in the first video is moving in on the punch and to the side before the guy can focus the strike. Simple.

The other guy is striking to the solar plexus while timing it to the uke's breathing. NOT ballistic..simple.

The reason the MMA guys have not picked up on these deadly techniques is because they don't exist.

A deadly technique is catching the guy the instant after he breathes out and striking a weak point into a weak point of balance.

And WHY learn to "counter" a punch by bouncing it off your stomach. I thought the idea was not to get hit while hitting the other guy.

regards koyo

Last edited: May 7, 2008
  11. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I was summoned?

12. unfetteredmind

I don't understand what you are asking me.

13. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

"Don't stop believing...."

14. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

Only if you've brought your magic bag! ;)

15. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

I'm asking you, when you get all "I have the courage to be laughed at", what laughter have you taken in your quest? I've eaten more bitter on this forum alone, in the process of attempting to say what's true in CMA, than you have in your entire career.

It's not like I dislike you - you just irritated me with that.

16. unfetteredmind

You'd have to know me a lot better than you do to really know this. In any case, I don't think it requires much courage to be comfortable with being laughed at.

17. koyo

I never started believing nor, in a lifetime of training and cross training have I ever seen anything to make me believe.

below I am demonstrating kusushi (unbalancing) In the composite the photo on the left shows Derek being unbalanced over and down by my right handblade. My left hand blade is about to cut upward and to the side unbalancing yet again.The instant he lands on his left foot I shall throw him over the edge of it. My solid posture provides the power.

In the second photo I have returned to natural posture after the throw.
    Anyone who knows what to look for shall see use of the basics anyone who"wishes" to shall see a small man "effortlessly" throwing a giant .
    I am 5'9" Derek is 6'4"

All there is,is basic principles and decades of training.There are NO secrets in martial arts.

regards koyo

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 8, 2008
  18. Rebo Paing

Rebo Paing Pigs and fishes ...

Waste of time speculating ...

Weeell, I'll toss in my two bit's ... I think it's a waste of time speculating on video "evidence" because experience informs me that everyone's got their own set of distinctions through which they view these things ... and that makes some experiences "real" for us ... but maybe not for others.

A case in point, my great-great grandfather had a retainer who was a shape-shifter (I'm saying this straight faced, honest truth), and his skill was to change shape into a white tiger before battle (he is still supposed to be around guarding my ancestral home ... AND people have seen it!). Another of my direct ancestors was a famous swordsman who could fly ... in one legend he fights for ownership of a famous horseman/stablehand, the retainer of a neighbouring nobleman ... and when he wins, he flies back to his own lands ... but the faithful horseman lops the tops of the coconut trees on the way back so that his previous master can follow the trail ... I forgot to mention that my ancestor had a magic iket (head dress sort of a Jawanese turban) that made him invincible, but it was also his Achilles heal (so to speak).

These stories are true ... but how true are they for you? Lucky for us, we didn't have You Tube back in those days :rolleyes:. Magical skills are only magic for those who believe in the magic.

Having said that, some people are very good at what they do, and make some things appear effortless ... but I too will only draw that conclusion after I feel it for myself (or at least I'm in the same space!).

Cheers.

19. Rebo Paing

Rebo Paing Pigs and fishes ...

Sheeiite ... YOU are a giant! ... I suppose that makes Derek a behemoth :eek: ... I'm 5' 6 1/2" lol.

I don't think that basic principles should take decades of training. Agree that continuous use keeps us well oiled!
    Anyway, it's easy for you to say ... going around claiming to be a "small man" when you're secretly a big man! And it's a pretty sneaky thing to do IMO :p.

20. koyo

I am Scottish and we are all BIG for our height.:)As for being a giant. See photo below. Me with four of my students. SAS troopers.

regards Koyo
    If there was a "secret" to martial arts it would be a mastery of the basics.

Attached Files:

• sas.jpg
      sas.jpg
      File size:
      67.2 KB
      Views: