thoughts on this video (warning CHI)

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by airweaver, Apr 25, 2008.

1. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

A disgrace and embarassment to martial arts. BOTH OF THEM.(in that last video)

hard facts=cross training.

regards koyo

2. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

Well, you should know, not "think". I know, not "think".

3. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Hi

I have been training in aikido riai for more than forty years now. There was/is a training method called Tai no henko meaning body movement. originally it had uke grasp the arm solidly and tori had to move in such a manner that he utilised his entire body to align himself in a position from which he could unbalance uke. This was a basic EXERCISE.

THEN it became just as he attempted to catch you moved and "he followed" (for some reason)
    Then the explanation came that you were "leading his ki."

Soon they have people chasing after the arm going round in circles for no other reason than they have been trained to do so.

The original hand grabs were exercises as I described now they are "to stop a sword being drawn" Nonsense since stopping the sword drawing is achieved by control of the scabbard or the hilt.

However many modern teachers cling to these ideas simply because they have been "manipulated" into believing them true.

I have experienced judoka in my club and unbalancing them without a strike is like trying to uprout a tree. Another principle is to realise experienced martial artists may be unbalanced but they shall remain unbalanced only for an instant.

This experience colors my attitude to the videos being discussed.

regards koyo

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  4. unfetteredmind

unfetteredmind Valued Member

Here we go again. The posting of videos that are unrelated to Huang's method is meaningless. And you obviously know little about Huang's life. Soldier that he was, fighting the Japanese in the jungle, he certainly didn't lack "mustard".

5. Jamesm

Jamesm Outraged

The two videos are entirely related, but they are the flip-side of the coin. One shows fraudulent "martial arts" techniques on a complying partner, the other (kiai "master") shows fraudulent "martial arts" on a non-complying partner. It comes as no surprise that the kiai dude is KTFO. You are seeing what would happen to the Tai Chi master if he tried his techniques on a guy who had come to actually resist or fight.
    Sure, he might have been a brave guy during the war, but that is hardly relevant to this discussion.

6. unfetteredmind

I'm having a break for a few days. Speak to you all later.

7. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

The truth is Billy, I can't even count the number of people I have trained with possibly into the thousands. I have never met ANYONE who can do this kind of stuff against a resisting partner. Nobody I have met has ever seen anyone who can do this stuff against a resisting partner. Anyone who has seen stuff ALWAYS says its fake.

The Bear.

8. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

I agree - and have very similar experience. Not only that, I've known and met a couple of top level martial artists from China, including, briefly, a member of the Chen family, and they knew many, many, top, top level guys in China, naturally, and no one believes this stuff - not the top level masters from China, not other genuinely experienced martial artists, and not me.

The only people who believe it are people who want to believe it. There is another category, though. I know myself, some people I can throw around like a rag doll doing push hands, some people I can't. The former, well, I could lie to them, and say it was qi and secret powers, or mystical application of physics, and they might believe it. But they would have been cheated.

Again, I echo Wang Xiang Zhai - even people with no martial arts experience know clearly that this stuff is fake. It makes us all look bad.

9. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Got evidence for that or is it more anecdotal evidence? Additionally, you're pretty dense if you can't see the glaringly obvious similarities between what he's doing, and what these other guys are doing. Same garbage, different degree?

Why? Are you really THAT insecure that you bug out when people start questioning your ideas?

10. piratebrido

piratebrido internet tough guy

I used to be up for arguing with these guys but I don't have the will anymore. Can't be bothered. You could say they have sapped my qi.

11. Yohan

I'm not arguing. I'm just stating facts. Old boy can waffle and deny it all day long, but he knows the deal. He knows he's wrong. He knows he can't support his position. He's welcome to deny it all day long, but he's wrong. It's quite literally an argument one can't lose.

it's like shooting fish in a barrel.

12. unfetteredmind

What evidence do you require? Perhaps some video footage of him on night time search and destroy missions? And I doubt that you even have anecdotal evidence for your view that Huang lacked "mustard" but that didn't stop you posting it did it? Of course we both know that you were simply trying to get a rise out of me and were unconcerned as to the accuracy of what you said in the process.
    Okay yes that must be it.
    No, I just haven't had access to a computer since friday. But don't let that get in the way of yet another personal attack. People have been questioning my ideas throughout this and other threads and I have posted many replies - that's hardly bugging out. But to be honest I am tiring of your repeated insults and it is precisely because I am secure in my knowledge that I can choose to disengage without worrying what you think.

Last edited: May 27, 2008
  13. unfetteredmind

Well it's very relevant to Yohan's insinuation that Huang lacked courage - which was the point I was responding to. I agree that this is not particularly relevant to the discussion but that is the nature of ad hominum arguments.

14. Yohan

How about a video in which he does this stuff to a person who can reasonably be established as an unbiased 3rd party?

I don't remember any personal attacks . . . all I remember is telling you you are wrong, which is true, but I didn't insult your person at any point.

If you were secure in your knowledge and weren't worried about what I think, you wouldn't have replied to this thread. Your words betray your intentions.

15. unfetteredmind

You called me "pretty dense" about 5 posts ago and have called me brainwashed earlier in the thread. Not to mention that whole, rather weird evil thing you got into earlier. Now of course these things don't bother me in the slightest but they do count as personal insults.
    This is bizarre - by your own reasoning you and everyone else who posts here is insecure. But you know what, now I am getting bored with the deterioration of this discussion into pettiness. So I won't be responding to anymore of your posts.

16. Yohan

I didn't say you were pretty dense . . . I said if you couldn't see the blindingly obvious similarity between two videos . . . you must be pretty dense. I didn't call you dense, you just made it seem as such by your actions. But yes, I so heavily inferred that you are brainwashed, I might as well have come out and said it. :p

Not so much, because none of us are attempting to defend (attempting being the key word) our practice. I'm confident in my practice. You can't argue against it or call it fake. You can deny a lie but you can't deny the truth.

I've tried to help you out. I'll be happy to continue ridiculing crap when I see it. I'm sure we'll have more nice discussions in the future as you seem more than happy to champion this kind of nonsense. :p

17. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Where abouts in the UK are you?
    I'd happily be your test subject to prove your claims. I'm sure even Yohan would accept my judgement on this.

The Bear.

18. RAbid Hamster

RAbid Hamster Herr Trubelmacher

At least get him to put up some cash Bear :rolleyes: ... your membership is due soon!

19. unfetteredmind

And how exactly would you coming down here as my test subject prove that Huang didn't lack "mustard" and fought the Japanese?

20. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

I was offering a chance to prove your claims about the power of Qi but I see the usual Tai Chi back pedal is in effect.

The Bear.