Thoughts on this school

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by ap Oweyn, Jun 13, 2014.

1. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Yep, I'm asking for thoughts on a school. I'm trying to relocate my family (though still within the DC area). And I'm thinking I'd like to join a proper school when I get there. Thoughts on this place from people with backgrounds in karate and/or muay thai:

http://www.ashburn-karate.com/

A quick word about why it appeals to me so far: I like muay thai. Always have. That said, I've never gotten around to training in it regularly. At 43, I'm obviously not competitive. And, frankly, I'm not wired that way anyway. I'm interested in the technical performance, culture, and fitness. Not in actual competition.

Along those same lines, I'm not especially interested in training in an "MMA gym." Anyone who's read my posts for any length of time knows I'm an advocate of the format. At the same time, personality wise, I'm an odd fit for that environment. And I'd like to spend my scant spare time in a setting that feels like a fit.

But not if the muay thai is rubbish.

I was discussing with Lily Sunshine the idea of potentially going a little more traditional again as well. I've never studied karate, save for about 6 months of Shotokan in college. So I don't really know what I'm looking at there. It looks like legit karate to me. And I recognize some of the names involved. But I want others' thoughts. I'm not sure I'd pursue the karate there. I'm not a kata guy at this point. But this teacher's approach to the topic is intriguing to me.

Again, if it isn't rubbish.

Thoughts?

2. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

3. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Yep, I had a look at their YouTube stuff as well. The karate kata are interesting. As I say, it's not something I know very well, but the bo kata looked more credible than most of the twirling nonsense I've seen.

By the way, apropos of nothing, I was thinking we need to do a sort of DC-area mini MAP meet. See if it garners enough interest to try a full-blown one.

4. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I think that's the style Patrick McCarthy is the head of?

Mitch

5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Yeah that's what I thought. In terms of Karate it seems very legit to me and well regarded by people like Iain Abernethy that I think are legit. For what it's worth.
    From what I've seen of Koryu Uchinadi it's still traditional karate (kata, gi's bowing and all that) but with a very pragmatic base and intent.
    If there was a club nearby I'd certainly consider it.

6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Damn it does bug me when people say "Muay Thai kickboxing". That's like saying "Boxing Thai kickboxing".
    It's Muay Thai. Or Thai boxing. Or even Thai style kickboxing. Not Muay Thai kickboxing.

7. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Yep, McCarthy Sensei is mentioned a few times on their site. And I thought his name was legit, but wasn't sure.

I like that this teacher seems to be occupying a weird no man's land between a fairly traditional cultural approach and a fairly contemporary technical one. If that makes any sense.

8. armanox

armanox Kick this Ginger...

DC area makes it a nice, easy area to work with. And nobody in their right mind actually wants to live in the District - that's utter insanity.

9. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Granted everyone is outside the beltway, I meant 'why limit it to the Mid-Atlantic area', my poor choice of words.

Those lucky MAP members across the pond, all they've to do is "MAP meeting on XX @ YY and that's that ( except for those on the Continent of course )

Ero's likely to be in Florida, IIRC - which is closer to my location, since our move over the last couple of weeks.

My neck should be red enough to make a respectable showing at a South Eastern MAP mingle, if I stay out in this horrid sun long enough.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  10. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Because that's a much wider scope than I, personally, am up for organizing at the moment. MAP Meets have been going on for ages there, so someone could travel, book lodging, etc. with a fair level of assurance that it was worth their time. Because it's been done before, many times.

I'm proposing something smaller than that because, if it's a low turnout, etc., nobody's lost anything other than a few hours and a tank of gas.

But it's not as though I have a monopoly on proposing meets.

11. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Hell, if it took off and people were interested, you could always broaden the scope, sure. Might even lure Saved in Blood in from the Eastern Shore.

My forehead is red. Does that count?

12. belltoller

I'm all for monopolies at present.

13. belltoller

English football takes a bit of getting used to, lol. Sure, it'll count if you'd like ;)

14. belltoller

I'll just put on my Union Jack tee and go running 'round the woods out 'back of the house, here. I'll keep an eye out for the bloke with the coon-skin hat and a shot-gun pointed at me.

15. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm not moving to Florida! Sheesh. I'll only be there for a month and a half hopefully. I'm hoping it doesn't turn into a 3-6 month stint! Where are you? Sounds like you're in ol' Alabama or something from your mentioning the KKK in other threads. :p

On a DC meet, are there any people on MAP who are instructors? It seems from conversation on the subject that it would be more of a get together than an actual event if we didn't have a format to follow like they do over the pond there.

16. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I teach sometimes

17. belltoller

FMA?

18. belltoller

Close...Georgia - Not too, too far from the mountains/hills - whatever they're called. Ever see an American film called "Deliverance"? An hour or so's drive.

I'd be just fine with a simple, informal get-together. Takes the pressure off; but I could definitely see why someone who'se travelin a bit for it would want more.

I think a relatively informal meet should still be the better option, with perhaps, Owen bringing a kind of capstone to things with some instruction.

The only thing I could provide is a living example of why 50yr old fat men are unlikely to snatch Boxing titles from their owners :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  19. armanox

armanox Kick this Ginger...

I could probably recruit one of my Shorin Ryu instructors (both are 8th dan) if the desire is there. One of them has also done Iaido (ZNKR) seminars, but that would require people bring equipment with them (and my last round of injuries left me unable to do kneeling techniques). I'm fine with doing an informal gathering before we try to plan a formal, day long seminar. But, if there would be interest in me getting one of them, let me know. I also have a friend who teaches at his Hapkido school that I may drag along as well (regardless of formality).

20. belltoller

It seems there's talk of two eastish, 'Murcan meets; one, a more formal one of the Mid-Atlantic denizens and another, less formal for those of us in the Southeastern parts up to the Seaboard.

Is tha aboot reet ?