Those punching machines

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by SteelyPhil, Oct 30, 2007.

1. SteelyPhil

SteelyPhil Messiah of Lovelamb

Was out in town last night and we got to playing on one of those machines where you pay £1 and get to punch a ball 2-4 times and you get a number (not sure what the number actually relates to though, the high score was 804 by a big guy though??). I spent about 30 mins watching the people play then when it died down I paid for all my group of mates to have a go (i had a a pocket full of pound coins). ANYWAY, I thought i'd take the opportunity to give a quick test of my various punches. With a boxing style (from my brief experience) I got the 577, with my WC punches i got around 500 and I got 400 with an elbow.
    The guy after me had as far as i could tell 0 formal training and was about 5 stone heavier than me, and his punch only got 560-600 at most. Just seemed odd, I thought at first it was the style of punch but he was hitting it pretty straight and was running at it AND was twisting his body. I guess my point is this, if the "average" street thug can only produce marginally more power than ME (however abstract the machine is) I feel slightly less worried about fighting big guys!
    Wondering if anybody has seen similar? Or perhaps has seen someone who wasn't big generating a lot more power than someone huge (the bouncer only got 700 and he was frigging massive).Or smashed the 999 barrier etc. Was an interesting evening.... my mate got 66 with her punch.

2. Oli S

Oli S New Member

Each of these machines has difference scales and difficulties so I'm not sure other peoples scores can compare. I played a few on Holiday last year and was getting between 800 and 900. (12.5 stone, 2 years TKD/Kickboxing) and was beating everyone apart from my mate (no MA experience, similar weight). The main reason because I was doing a mainly static punch, whilst he was running into it more and following through, which is all well and good on a machine but would have been bl00dy obvious and telegraphic if done for real :)

3. Alonzo

Alonzo New Member

I have a background in Western Boxing, and my high score on one of these machines is a 1071. It broke the record at the bar it is at, and if I'm not mistaken it is still the record. I threw a right cross and landed solid, the numbers kept climbing and I got free drinks for the rest of the night. Also, consider that I am 6 feet and 6 inches (1.98 M), and I weigh 308 lbs (22 Stone). I have also had extensive training as an American Football player, and hitting is in my nature.

It is true, however, that these machines vary. I've hit other onces, and not been able to break 800, but those same machines, I haven't seen anyone hit over 600 either. So, they are adjusted accordingly, just different from all machines. There is no standard, unfortunately.

4. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

I get what your getting at Steely.

But ive never got around to punching one of these machines.

It seems much more appropriate to tornado kick it - usually get in the region of 2070, something like that.

The girls love it.

5. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

Those machines don't mean anything save for a crackingly funny time.

There's one in the nearby Sports Cafe and being out and drunk with my kung fu lot one night we must have spent damn near £30 straight punching, back fisting, hooking, spinning jump kicking, head butting, round housing, elbowing the hell out of it.

A running headbutt can get you about 400 if it's a long run up and you don't mind risking splattering your face. :D

Last edited: Oct 30, 2007
  6. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

my friend knocked himself out on one of those machines :D

7. Orangeseger

Orangeseger YouTube =/= Training

Never seen one of those hear in the states....I'd love to try it. I wonder hwat porcesses the machine uses to determine your score.

8. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

My then boyfreind (kickboxer/aikidoka) managed to break one of those a few years back. In all fairness he is 6'1 and built like a brick-youknowwhat house.