This isn't the same video Mr. Martinez posted, but I would like to hear your opinion.

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by onpoint, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

So where is your video then Kalimutan?

2. onpoint

onpoint Valued Member

Like kalimutan stated corto techniques is a lot of work, it's better to master 1s and 2s and moving around a lot, so I'd surmise it was adjusted to tailor seminars.;) Less technical stuff, more kali culture, makes for really good seminars.

3. Pat OMalley

oh! That's a shame because the corto aspect of FMA is it's back bone. You can't do that you'd better hope your better at the easier long range than the other guy. So I suppose the 'we always assume the other guy is well trained' doesn't count then?? Maybe they need to rename it Larga Tirsia then?

4. onpoint

onpoint Valued Member

Exactly, Pat!

I can understand seminars, you water down stuff for seminars, but seminars is just the slight, ever so sexy, lifting of the kimono, the actual art shouldn't look like a seminar--it should be more like the Kama Sutra.

So I hope for the sake of your namesake close cutting, that you guys will continue with this tradition, instead of marginalizing it. It's the tail wagging the dog.;) It may fool a lot of seminar goers, but without the corto techniques, it's just 1s and 2s and a lot of moving around.;)

5. Pat OMalley

Kali of course denotes the utilization of edged weaponry in combat... NOT sticks. If this is true then why in the videos do we see the sticks connecting so much. Anyone who knows anything about edged weapons knows that blades clashing like that will encourage those blades to be broken.

Surely it just encouraged bad habits if the sticks are training replacements for the blades.

6. onpoint

onpoint Valued Member

Not if you cook your blades with "poisonous" house spiders.:rolleyes:

7. Pat OMalley

oh dear. Of course it's not scientifically proven that fire tends to kill of any toxins that the spiders may have. Even the indigenous tribes of South America who smear their arrows with the secretion of the dart frog know not to put flame to it as this would neutralise the toxin.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  8. onpoint

onpoint Valued Member

Kali, mother art, authentic, lost, chicken blood, yelling KALIIIIIIIII!!! like it's cool, Lara Croft outfits, the list goes on and on... If it walks like a duck, quacks like one, looks like one, it can't be a zebra--"that the vilest form of self-abasement and self-destruction is the subordination of your mind to the mind of another, the acceptance of an authority over your brain, the acceptance of his assertions as facts, his say-so as truth, his edicts as middle-man between your consciousness and your existence".

What I really wanna know is who has retained all this corto stuff from PTK, Gaje's old students only? How about current Tuhons? If Tim Waid doesn't have it, I hope he gets on it, so he's not behind the curve here, and gets out flanked by his old master, who's already assuming his jungle survival course for himself.

FMA is FMA because of all the stuff we've retained in the close range, those techniques are the first to go in the time of forgetting, look at all those Western swordsmen trying to recreate systems, the inside game is the hardest to decipher. PTK lost it due to propaganda, there's a lesson there.

9. kalimutan

kalimutan Valued Member

PTK hasn't lost anything. However, it's apparent no one here really knows anything about PTK and its methodologies.

10. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

You mean no one else has drank the kool aid?

11. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Good thing this is a forum and you have every right and ability to share what you know to enlighten the community! That's what it's for really, read the ToS!

That doesn't mean everything you write isn't going to have the hell scrutinized out of it, and it damn well should be whether you're right or not. There are enough knowledgable people to know if you're spouting crap or not on this site, and people have connections elsewhere to make inquiries as well. If the knowledge you wish to present or inform others about stands up to the scrutiny then you can call yourself proud and you'll sure as hell be accepted here. If not, or if you keep beating around the bush and weaseling around then you get treated like a troll, because you're being one.

Like BurgerKing, have it your way.

12. onpoint

onpoint Valued Member

So who's still doing the close range stuff then? Otherwise, it's getting forgotten. You had it once, but now don't--LOST.

If you can tag me, tag me. That's how this works. If what I'm saying is wrong, then it should be pretty easy to tag me. Prove me wrong, prove us wrong.

We're not talking about secret stuff here, we're speaking in general. If you can counter our assertions, go. That's actually the only way to fight for your Supremo's honour here, not by pouting and saying, "You guys just don't understand.":cry:

13. kalimutan

kalimutan Valued Member

Wow, you want me to inform, but at the same time the people reserve the right to throw disrespectful comments and bad attitudes despite my attempts of a civilized conversation. If you have connections elsewhere then by all means ask them instead.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2013
  14. onpoint

onpoint Valued Member

Bro, if you notice you're the one eliciting "disrespectful" comments and retorts. Read back, every time you've been civilized, I've mirrored you. If you can't apply that same fighting spirit with the blade to a little online debate, what are we to think?:dunno:

You're getting flustered for no reason, when my questions have been really simple.

15. onpoint

onpoint Valued Member

That's where you confirmed that the close range stuff was lost. Did you want to take back that statement?:rolleyes:

16. Ero-Sennin

If you have your skivvies that much in a twist, why are you even posting still? Usually the civilized thing to do with people you find that insulting (hardly, by the way:rolleyes:) you stop communicating with them. Having authority and credential to back up what you say though . . . . that's generally respected on the forum and the back and forth would cease. But apparently you're too good to lower yourself for some reason.

Welcome to the internet . . . . by the way.

(I expect to be acknowledged for my use of the unisex term 'skivvies.' I originally typed 'panties' but thought the term was a bit sexist. Be the change you want to see in the world!)

17. kalimutan

kalimutan Valued Member

I did not confirm that corto was lost as YOU put it. That's just how you'd like to interpret what I said to support your own false assumptions. If you know anything at all, Corto, doesn't rely solely on pekiti disarma, thats just one methodo used in that range. Other methodos are also part of corto.

How it all works is for me to know and for you and the rest of the poorly informed gallery to try and find out. Go find it. It seems some people here are well connected.

After you and the rest of the gallery have disrespected my teacher multiple times you still think you should know about what he taught me directly? I don't think so.

18. Ero-Sennin

I haven't disrespected your teacher at all good sir. I'm truly a third party here that is being informed on MA because my experience is in Boxing, Wrestling, and BJJ as far as MA goes. I like to drop by and read in the Filipino MA section to learn every once in a while. I'm so NOT an authority on this subject, which is why I haven't commented on anything MA related.

However, debate and exchange of information with an important emphasis on credibility and reference to authority is a universal theme in all discussions. Most of them you seem to lack. Just because something seems important to you does not mean it is really important at all in the grand scheme of things.

You write you have a golden nugget of information that's going to change the way people in this MA will train and look at things but by the way you act and other people's reaction to you (who have clout on the forum because they are experienced and knowledgable, and have credentials to back it up) it seems more like it's probably a lump of coal. It's not anyones job to kiss your feet for information. If you think it's important share it. You sound like an offended, selfish little brat who wants respect and acknowledgment without having done anything. How do you think people are going to react to you?

How it all works is for me to know and for you and the rest of the poorly informed gallery to try and find out. Go find it. It seems some people here are well connected.

:eek: The audacity of self worth :rolleyes:

19. onpoint

onpoint Valued Member

OK, so disarma's gone because PTK doesn't do block, but other methodos at close range still in use. Gotcha.

Then why isn't anyone doing these "methodos"? Is it so secret that 1s and 2s and a whole lot of footwork is all we outsiders get to see?:rolleyes:

I don't get it, you come out for a "discussion", then when cornered, you go back behind your teacher, then boast about all the secret stuff you know.:rolleyes:

We don't wanna know your secret, proprietary stuff, but if it isn't at least, at the very least, covered in the most current videos you guys are putting out, then we have to assume that it's not too popular anymore--that much you've also confirmed.

I guess we'll just have to take your word for it, that it's still there, just not too many people doing it these days. Either way, I hope Tim Waid ups his corto game. At least that we can agree with, right?;)

20. Pat OMalley

It would seem we see the A typical behaviour of your all wrong because I say so and I'm right but refuse to explain why and at the same time shout show me yours but he won't show you his.

If your so right. Show us. Because all you've done so far is shout how right you are and how wrong everyone else is and we don't understand. Ok. Show us how we don't understand. Educate us. Or you could just keep skipping round all the questions that have been put to you.

I think the latter will continue.