This 'Are you beach body ready' poster debate

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Thelistmaker, May 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I was going to quote that as well via DailyFail

"Fitness model looks like that due to exercise and diet"...shock.

It's what models/actors are paid for? As a model, you don't have to take the actual item, its just the "look" they are requiring to use.
    It's different if she was sponsored by the company.

I've been on a photoshoot/advert in Hong Kong promoting YES! Magazine....I can't read a lick of Cantonese. Under their "criteria" makes me a fake?
    :p

People need to understand separation....

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

define health. for the record the current world health organization definition is "s a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity". therefore, if she is content and has no physiological issues stemming from her being lean, then she is healthy, and anyone commenting on her health may want to consider some passionate egg on face action :p.

in any case, we enter the world of 'if's, and without seeing blood work and other clinical tests, opining on the matter is futile. all we can see is that she is thin, and from there people go off making assumptions. assumptions kill :).

3. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I never said she was unhealthy.

I just said that for many people, being that weight would not be healthy. You have to be built a certain way to have a 22" waist and not be sickly.

That's why I said "frame and metabolism depending".

4. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

...nitpicker :p

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

being.5'2" and 250 lbs isn't "normal" by that definition either, but the statement of said fact is apparently "body shaming"

Vegan is an ancient phrase that means "does not hunt well"

6. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Bold is where this stuff starts bugging me. How do you know that? Because she's skinny? I know multiple people who eat like the hoover from Teletubbies and just don't put weight on, and they're not all people who spend their evenings in the gym either.

Some people are naturally skinny. You haven't said as such I don't think, but if we're meant to accept some people are larger for reasons other than loving the deep fryer why is it ok to make assumptions about her lifestyle based on her size? You want sympathy for people who aren't skinny but make a sweeping, baseless assumption about her based on nothing but her size.

Or am I crazy for thinking she doesn't look malnourished? She looks like a woman who's on the skinnier side, not someone who skips meals or has an eating disorder. I have no idea what some people's definition of "skeleton" is any more.

7. David Harrison

Well, the smiley meant it was tongue-in-cheek.

However, if a person is vegan for ethical reasons, then I think taking money from the industrial exploitation of cows could quite easily be called hypocritical and the person deemed a sell-out. I bet if PETA find out they won't be happy about having her face on their publicity material.

It would be like a member of Hamas advertising SodaStream.

I take it you are not morally opposed to the Cantonese version of YES! magazine?

8. David Harrison

Well, you can hide a lot of them in that mane of yours, so it's easy pickings! :p

9. David Harrison

If we stick to "born that way", as in no outside modification, then 5'2" and 250 lbs is normal, unless you've had saline implants stuck in your gut.

10. Southpaw535

I'm anti-slavery and anti-genocide yet I own a mobile that is almost certainly made from conflict/blood minerals. Most people don't like child labour but Primark is a very successful clothing store. I could probably make a far longer list of things I have in my life that conflict with my morals but I'm too sleepy. Ladies gotta eat. She took a job that I presume she was paid for and that's that. I don't disagree its hypocritical, but damn near everyone is hypocritical over things like that every day.

11. David Harrison

Right.

Because anxiety disorders are hilarious...

And here I was thinking that the only body shaming in this thread was you airing your disgust at women who don't shave their armpits?

12. Southpaw535

Ahem, -finds mod hat-

Don't drag the feminism thread into here guys. Post on the topic.

13. David Harrison

Sure, of course.

As I said, it wasn't a serious accusation.

14. Southpaw535

And now everyone knows I like to skim read :p

15. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Only if by "normal" you conisder a KFC bargain bucket for breakfast a balanced diet

16. David Harrison

I get the feeling everyone thinks I'm against Renee Somerfield.

I'm not. No-one need feel that they have to rush to her aid.

...she's out of your league anyway :p

17. Southpaw535

That might be the first white knighting reference I've seen on MAP :p

I give zero tosses about her either way. But as someone who uses a lot of social media I've spent a loooooong time being exposed to body shaming posts and its become a subject I feel passionate about. Some of the stuff its moved on to clashes quite badly with the value I place on individuality.

18. David Harrison

Hey, I'm not defending the fatties!

Never been one, don't know what it's like to be one.

I'm talking about perfectly fit and healthy women who have a culturally-instilled body anxiety. Which is damn-near every woman I've ever met.

I don't think it's healthy for people or society at large, and I think that companies like Protein World exploit and exacerbate the problem.

By the way, anyone see this?

Attached Files:

19. David Harrison

Fair enough.

I don't even have a facebook page. MAP is the closest I get to engaging with social media.

20. Southpaw535

But even then its "swimsuits for all" but they're showing a women that is what most would deem "normal." Still a good advert though and I do like it.

I'm resisting the urge to post a ton of stuff from the BossGirls page Chadderz mentioned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.