This 'Are you beach body ready' poster debate

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Thelistmaker, May 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

And so I'm not sure Fish O'Doom comparing her to women dying of malnutrition is relevant.

Do you?

2. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Moosey called her skeletal (sorry to grass you up, Mooseman).

Similar comments were made on social media.

People were making such comparisons way before fishboy turned up here.

3. David Harrison

Um, tautology much?

People who responded to the ad and bought the pills did not complain about the ad...

Is that a surprise?

Do none of you know any women who are perfectly fit and healthy but still feel dread at the thought of baring a bit of flesh in public?

Men used to have a generally good culture when it came to body image, but now the marketing departments are gunning for us, too.

Instead of watch men fall into the same neurotic pitfalls as we subject women to, does no-one think it might be a better idea to encourage ourselves as a culture to help women be okay with their bodies?

"The number of people diagnosed with eating disorders has increased by 15 per cent since 2000, according to a new study by King’s College London and the UCL Institute of Child Health. The increase was more pronounced in males with incidences rising 27 per cent."

- http://www.kcl.ac.uk/ioppn/news/records/2013/may/eating-disorders-increase.aspx

4. David Harrison

"Skeletal" as an adjective has a fairly wide remit - from "you can see their ribcage" to dead.

5. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

Having a little perspective is always relevant. I'm a good 25lbs overweight and I don't give a flying hoot about the way men are showed on Calvin Klein billboards. Some people in this world area are just eternally dyspeptic and disputatious. Some pants need untwisting.

The alliteration is on the house.

6. David Harrison

That's funny coming from the man who's knickers are in such a twist he gags on the label whenever he reads a feminist tweet :)

I did appreciate the alliteration though.

7. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

i thought that the girl in the ad is frankly underweight. no normal human being looks like that. she obviously doesn't eat. which is my whole problem with the ad. there's a very real problem with eating disorders among young women, and this ad only exacerbates that problem. but i get it, it's not like every other ad or fashion shoot doesn't sport the same unrealistic body image. and the whole internet outrage thing is, frankly, outrageous and it's easy to go off and the outragees.

but yeah, a little empathy for people that aren't model skinny might be nice. you can say "oh i'm tongue in cheek" as an excuse, but for some people, eating right and getting to the gym isn't exactly a thing. my dad worked two jobs growing up, my mom took care of us in the daytime, then worked nights. they weren't hitting the gym. sure, their weight was fine because they ate poor already growing up in pastoral greece, but nobody would confuse them for fitness models.

8. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Frankly that is every bit as insulting as anything the ad represents

9. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

The question is not "is my body ready for the beach" but rather "is the beach ready for my body" because its coming ready or not.

10. Giovanni

11. Giovanni

are you being sarcastic or for-real? i can't tell. sorry, my sarcasm meter broke.

12. Hannibal

For real

no "NORMAL" person? Really?

13. Giovanni

how am i being insulting then?

14. Hannibal

You are implying she is not normal for being slim - how is that NOT insulting?

15. David Harrison

If by "normal" you mean "born that way", then she's not.

I guess a lot of her appeal is the proportions of a skinny frame with big fake boobs.

I have nothing against skinny women, or boob jobs really, and don't think they should be banned from public view.

However, as I've said all along, it is the cynical way in which industries such as these prey on body anxiety and perceived social pressure that I find abhorrent.

I'm against it as a symptom of a larger problem in our culture, I don't have anything against the woman personally.

Still, it has been entertaining reading VZ and Hannibal vigorously defend a vegan :p

16. David Harrison

That's the spirit! :)

Sadly, you won't find as many women who feel that way, and less and less men are, these days, too :(

17. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

I have to say that probably the best thing in all of this for me has been the laughs I've had based off tweets from the company.

Admittedly I'd prefer to see more women like this in advertising (Strong woman competitor Alanna Casey):

[​IMG]

But that aside, personally I'm inclined to think that the company does what it wants as long as it doesn't breach any laws. And beyond that? I really don't care a great deal.

It just seems like a lot of fuss over nothing.

18. Giovanni

no, that's not what i'm implying. i'm implying that woman is underweight. and she's obviously had surgery.

19. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

What can I say. I have a penis and, well, seeing such showings of shallowness and stupidity...I just can't resist. They're really asking for it.

Don't laugh too hard from the funniness. That might trigger someone's anxiety.

#jazzhands

20. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

Fit body shaming DEFCON 3. We're getting up there.

That's rich. Real rich.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.