This 'Are you beach body ready' poster debate

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Thelistmaker, May 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I think largely that's true...up to a point.
    Carrying a few extra pounds is not as important as your activity levels or fitness AFAIK.
    A model that is stick thin and supresses her appetite with fags and bolivian marching powder is a much worse body image representative than a woman with some cellulite.
    The things I hate the most are women's magazines. Where one week "celeb A" is too thin and the next week she "has cellulite".

2. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I agree with the basically non-existent knowledge I have of health and fitness. I mean there's plenty of NFL players for instance who are big but I assume they're still reasonably healthy. Similar with bodybuilders.

Women's mags I completely agree with you. Although to revisit the feminism thread briefly, try pointing that out to the kind of people who complained about this poster. Most body positive things I've seen seem to come from the angle of trying to get across to men that larger women can be sexy, not dogging the other women who are calling bigger girls fat or telling skinnier girls to find a fork. Seriously, women are horrible to other women and ladies entertainment/celeb mags are some of the worst for it.

edit: I mention the above point not to turn this into a thing about sexism or feminism or whatever, but because I gather the controversy other things like this advert is the fear of what it does to women's confidence in their own bodies. My problem is that the blame for that lack of confidence is often focused on issues of what men perceive as attractive, and ignores that women seem to spend far more time being told they're unattractive not by men, but by things like celeb magazines that are filled with crap about diets and fashion and obsessions over weight and size. I feel like its a large, damaging issue that is being largely ignored in the mainstream.

And as an aside, is it just me or does the stuff with celebrity body shaming seem to be a very catty "look this women may be more successful than you, but she has this bruise on her leg so you can feel better about yourself now" type thing? Like the body shaming isn't the primary goal. Its just a by-product of an attempt to bring down someone you feel jealous of?

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  3. Southpaw535

But...the mobile murdering size is what meant I had a whole monitor of boobs...

4. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

exactly.

5. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

This is the internet, dude. A whole galaxy of naked ladies awaits you if you dare venture outside the sovereign borders of MAP

6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Ugh...body builders aren't "healthy" are they?
    Most are roided up, cut silly amounts of weight for comps and dying young is not uncommon?

7. Southpaw535

I have no idea :p Competitive bodybuilders I assume are messed up (I almost brought up wrestlers as large people who are in shape then remembered they all die at like 35) but you average guy who's into lifting, like the kind you see around martial arts gyms, I would assume is generally not going to give a doctor much to worry about. Joint problems aside at least.

8. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I have no issues with that campaign. I tend to agree the woman is too skeletal, but whatever.

Didn't someone say here that they portrayed men in the same light in this campaign? If so, then the advertising is being applied fairly equally.

Sorry to break my reputation as some rampant die hard feminist here, but really - I don't get what the big deal is.

I also am not a fan of the movement to love your body no matter what. I don't think encouraging people to be overweight and unhealthy is good. I am overweight, I need to deal with the reality that it isn't healthy. I don't hate myself but some unrealistic movement telling me it is perfectly fine when it is taking a toll on my body isn't a good thing. (Something I am thinking about a lot lately with my recent bout of back spasms.)

Yes, sometimes the images of women portrayed are not healthy ones either way - too skinny and unrealistic or loving obesity.

But it is a weight loss product - what do you expect?

9. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

If you put a seashell to your ear, you can hear the moans of twitter feminists whining about fit women.

10. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

perspective, people. put anorexia, famine or malnutrition on google images, have a scroll, and you'll see why i don't have the highest opinion of the statement that the woman in the ad is "skeletal". i agree with most if not all of what southpaw has said here. this is a commercial ad for weight loss supplements. the supplement industry is akin to the cosmetics industry, it's full of bogus claims, woo, and aggressive pushing of unnecessary products aiming at replacing as fully as possible that which nominally they're only supposed to supplement. in that vein, pushing someone with low body fat is entirely within their interests, and they're pandering to as many lowest common denominators as possible. it is neither commendable nor productive to anyone but their finances department, but it is essentially business 101. as for whether people like the model or not? meh, some like chubby, some like skinny, some like average, some like muscular, etc, etc, etc. don't put forth your personal preferences as what is objectively desireable health or aesthetics-wise, and i won't secretly mock you and pray to the FSM to strike you down and install me as your supreme overlord :) (but also all women should lift weights, because i say so, trololo)

11. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

12. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

The model is called Renee Somerfield, and yes, she does look like that for real.

Behold.

[​IMG]

13. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

...and the moans of bitter anti-feminists whining about feminists whining :)

14. David Harrison

15. David Harrison

"Renee is also a strict and devoted vegan, and an animal rights advocate. Openly involved with countless animal rights organisations, Renee uses her name to bring attention to issues of importance. Having fronted the LUSH Cosmetics “Divine Whale” campaign, and raised money for Sea Shepherd Conservation Society, as well as utilizing her social media following to create awareness. Renee acts as not simply a model, but also, a role model. This is a responsibility she takes very seriously and holds incredibly close to heart. In 2014 Renee joined the likes of Pamela Anderson, Paul McCartney and Anna Nicole Smith and was chosen by PETA to shoot their next International poster campaign, "Save the Earth, Go Vegan"."

Protein World supplements are not vegan.

What a hypocritical sell-out :p

I did not realise she is a self-made model either: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...s-turning-Instagram-selfies-big-business.html

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  16. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Way to fat for my tastes...and her elbows are a bit pointy!

17. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

Hey I love that movie!

18. David Harrison

You call it a movie...

...I call it a chilling prescient vision.

19. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

20. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

...which is one of the reasons I love that movie!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.