This 'Are you beach body ready' poster debate

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Thelistmaker, May 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Naughty but I had to do it. :)

2. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

You just said that the body shaming was one-way traffic.

I'm not trying to have an argument with you. I agree that being derogatory about her being thin is wrong.

I think the problem is not that advert in particular, but the general culture of body anxiety due to unrealistic expectations. Not that many people are born with a frame that would be at its healthiest at Renee Somerfield's weight. But that doesn't mean I begrudge her being able to carry it off.

I'll repeat that I have no problem with her, or how she looks. It's the scum in the advertising, fashion, diet, and media industries who deliberately profit from body anxiety and shaming that I have a problem with. Protein World and the company that created their advert included.

3. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Now you can sue him for emotional damage ;)

4. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

to be fair, skeletor is a jacked badass
    [​IMG]

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I would have thought "Beaker" myself......

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Beaker most certainly is not

[​IMG]

7. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

and then he can fight me, since i'm he-man. i even already foiled his plans once :D (cf. 'the curse of fish' during my uk trip)

8. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

Not only is that debatable but even if correct, the first question that comes to mind is quite layered and complex though I think I can summarize it as follows:

And?

9. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

Surely I'm not reading too much into this, am I?

10. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

11. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Purely my own comments (not related to MOD team):

im sick of the feminism related threads on MAP.
    especially from members who normally contribute so greatly to MAP's martial arts related discussions (you know, the purpose of this site).

Theres nothing breaking the TOS here but for my own damn sanity - can you folks at least self moderate your private grievances with different parts of the political spectrum so there isnt a new thread on it almost daily?

12. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Was gonna post a similar thing. Well said. It has got too much.

13. KarateMum

KarateMum Valued Member

Agreed

I haven't been on here very long, but I am already astonished and I must admit a little shocked by the level of anti-feminism portrayed on this site.

At the end of the day, if anyone does have an issue with feminism, then I hardly see that harping on about it on a predominately male dominated site dedicated to a minority sport is going to change the bigger picture. It is probably doing nothing more than massaging a few ego's to be able to post personal 'feelings' about the subject to what folks think is a 'sympathetic' audience. In reality I am afraid it actually comes over, in my opinion, as reflecting rather poorly on those posting the anti-feminism comments for, it would seem, the sheer hell of just being able to post them. I am sorry to say that there are already a number of MAPpers that I would be pleased never to meet in real life on the basis of what I read into their anti-feminism postings and I think this is a real shame as I do like to see the good in people.

If anyone does have an 'issue' with feminism I might suggest that folks could be doing something rather more constructive to resolve this perceived issue in their minds than just posting provocative comments on MAP which, as noted above has no real overall gain, at least, to my way of thinking.

Last edited: May 7, 2015
  14. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

i always know there's trouble when i read someone using an allusion to a bad sci-fi movie from the 90's.

15. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I think the last few posts bring this thread to a natural conclusion.

Thread closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.