This 'Are you beach body ready' poster debate

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Thelistmaker, May 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thelistmaker

Thelistmaker bats!

Recently there has been a debate over this poster:

http://www.theguardian.com/media/20...ion-planned-over-beach-body-ready-tube-advert

I'm interested to see if people on his site were also offended by it.

I'm honestly surprised anyone pays attention to tube adverts they're not interested in.

I do understand some people might be upset by those images, but I just can't empathize. I went to an all girls' school and the only thing we did with magazines like vogue was laugh at the advice pages. Personally I've always considered them 'background noise'.
    Being insecure about your body is something most humans go through and just have to grow out of, annoying media or no.

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

It's an ad campaign. If you don't like it, don't buy the company's products. Simples.

Everything else is a massive overreaction.

3. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I was not offended, however I also have a bit of an odd sense of humour.
    I'm also say that people got more offended of the phrase rather than the model.
    And there are posters way more obvious when it talks about weight issues. Where are these people defacing weight-watcher posters or low fat food adverts?
    Are they also not "fat shaming"?

I don't see the male version of the poster being defaced. Rippling 8 pack, smoothed skin and rugged facial growth on that gorgeous jaw..glistening pearls of sweat, beading down that well gym'd body.....er...what was I on about again?

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I thought the Twitter PR responses were actually better than the ad

5. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I don't like it, simply because of the implication that the rather skeletal lady in the photo is the definition of "beach body ready". It pains me to align myself with twitter feminists, but I think it's a poor advert and a bad message to send to people, particularly the impressionable young.

Gah, and now I extra hate it for making me one of those censorious types who complain about adverts.

6. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

This is the kind of realistic beach-body advert we should be supporting (shame Southern Comfort tastes so sickly):

Attached Files:

7. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Bro, she's not skeletal.

Girl got all kinds of hip and chest going on.

Certainly not runway model skinny anyway. She's hot.

8. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I agree.

Hit the gym, fatties.

9. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

I can't help but feel that it would be the same outcry had it been a fitness model.

10. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

That was pretty much their twitter response to the outcry!

11. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Should have seen their rep on UK breakfast tele.

Attached Files:

12. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I think people have become very precious. Lady's hot, and the majority of men would rather see a smaller women in a bikini than a fat one. Pointing that out isn't sexist or body shaming or any other crap. That's without even getting into the fact someone's trying to sell something.

The body image counter-movement has become incredibly hypocritical too. They moaned about how people say larger women aren't seen as as attractive as skinnier ones, and did rightly argue against the size zero sort of stuff, but now its got to the point that skinny or smaller women are being attacked in the way calling large people fat was slammed as wrong.

Even here you've got someone already saying she's skeletal when to me she looks slightly smaller than normal. Not exactly Keira Knightley.

I'm just bored of all the body image controversies. I like that people are trying to make you feel comfortable with yourself however you are. That's a good goal. But you either apply it equally or not at all, don't just shift the goal posts on what you think is acceptable.

And the responses from them have been fantastic. Controversy sells, and everyone whining and attacking them massively fuelled their sales while the company sat back and laughed.

13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

What I find odd is that we have an obesity epidemic and constant advice about how bad being overweight is health wise AND larger women wanting to be accepted for being fat.
    So which is it?
    Which one should society embrace or promote?
    Aren't hey mutually exclusive?
    I mean personally I like a woman with some junk in her trunk but there really does come a point where it gets too much and that's not an aesthetic judgement at all.
    It's a health judgement.
    Being body confident and accepting of being overweight is all well and good right up until you get type 2 diabetes and heart failure.
    I watched a "plus size" model programme the other day and while the main subject was pretty she really needed to lose some weight.

14. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I dunno dude. Those ribs and cheekbones look like she needs a good bowl of porridge. I'm definitely no "chubby chaser" but the "hourglass" figure you can see in that pic is just the shape of her skeleton. She doesn't look athletic, she looks malnourished.

I'd say that this stock photo is more like a slim woman who supplements her exercise with the occasional dinner:

[​IMG]

That's a healthy and achievable "beach body". Ribby McXylophone up there just makes me want to donate money to Oxfam.

15. David Harrison

Men definitely get away with more guttage than women, on the whole.

I just hope we don't end up going the way of The Land of the Free, because we've already seen where that leads...

Attached Files:

16. David Harrison

Breast implants and Photoshop ≠ fat.

Runway models are generally chosen for their androgynous frame, so you're not going to see any hip there.

17. David Harrison

Oh, and on the subject of Photoshop; let us not forget that the model on the poster is very unlikely to look just like that in real life.

Plus, the company is selling overpriced weight-loss pills. Of course they want to induce body anxiety in women who see the advert. If they didn't, they wouldn't sell any.

I don't have anything in particular against skinny women being in adverts. It's more the product that I have a problem with.

18. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Yeah I'm guessing here...just a guess mind...that in real life she's not sepia. :)

19. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

From what I've seen its going the route of trying to prove people can be large and not be unhealthy.

The bold is basically what I have a problem with though. Society as a whole should give zero tosses either way. This whole thing attempts to pigeonhole what people as a collective either like or don't like, or what they should or shouldn't like, and its all bollocks.

Like the time all the pictures of rounder women were doing the rounds with captions "real men like meat on their bones" where the correct response is "men like whatever the hell they as an individual want to like, as do women."

Discussing body size as a healthy issue is one thing. Especially somewhere like here with a socialized health service where it has an impact on others. But the discussions and movements about body size as an attraction or turn off need to die in a hole.

20. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

This thread needs Kelly Brook.

[Only if it contributes to the discussion and is a less mobile-murderingly-huge picture, please! - Moosey]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.