thinkng fast in kumite...

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Terri63, Nov 25, 2011.

1. Terri63

Terri63 Valued Member

HI..I am a green belt in isshin ryu karate...it has always been a challenge to me...im a bit of a slow learner i guess...but..I have a question...

Im doing pretty ok w/ everything except kumite...

I want to be mentally faster and mroe ready for the punches/kicks my opponent throws..I have never been a fast thinker "on my feet"
    any ideas on what i need to think of or concentrate on to react faster and be mroe prepared in kumite?

Thanks

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

It sounds trite but do more kumite!

Also where do you look whilst you spar?

3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I have the same problem. I'm not a fast reactor at all. In point karate that can be a real problem because it's all about that speed of reaction and counter reaction.
    In TKD sparring I get jabbed all the time.
    However...how I get round it is being prepared to take one to deliver two.
    Constant forward pressure, trying to fight in the "pocket" where no one really has time to react well at all (thus minimising my weakness). Keeping a good guard also helps. :)
    Sorry not got anything else to suggest.

4. Terri63

Terri63 Valued Member

reaction time

Hannibal...

I tend to look... actually around at differnet places.... right at the chest...face..lookin ffor open areas to strike..i think i might think too much...they tell me "muchin" no mind..just let it flow...i find it very hard...thanks for advice...

im rying to go over in my mindhow i wouldreact to the strikes/kicks my opponents ahve thrown...but..this is after the fact...ugh

5. Hannibal

Ok - I recommend the chest area as it tends to give away the most and allows full peripheral vision to be utilised.

When you say you look for strikes do you mean specific techniques (eg a roundhouse kick, a reverse punch, etc...)?

6. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Chest is good.

It's not really about speed so much as timing, angling and distance. Being able to read someone and control when he can and can't attack and with what actually plays a much larger part than reaction time. That, and the cool confidence required to act and react without hesitation comes only with sparring time. Get comfortable and settle in. You've got thousands of hours of it ahead if you want to get good at it.

7. Keep at it... after 10,000 hours, your brain will be hardwired, or you'll be dead.
    Either way you won't need to think! :D

Osu!

8. Terri63

Terri63 Valued Member

ya..I am looking at the opponent thinking of catching them striking really fast so I can counter... but im afraid this occupies my mind in what spot too much..like..im trying to hard..thinking too much

9. jorvik

jorvik Valued Member

You need to practice combinations and setups, and really you must develop your own combos based upon what will work for you, and of course there are techniques which will always work well for you. I always used to use a high left roundhouse kick in combination with a left jab. If I got close and jabbed and the opponent moved back then he would be in perfect range for a left roundhouse kick, if he moved back off that then I would use a spinning right back kick.now if he stayed still after the jab I could throw a right, or if he stayed were he was after the first high left roundhouse kick, then I would lower the kick and make it to his ribs.
    There are lots of different combinations that you can make up yourself. One other thing though, to make the stuff work you need to keep moving off the line and angling. So get a few techniques down that you like ,practice them at home as combinations, then use them when you spar.keep the ones that work and build upon them.get rid of the ones that don't.really the secret is committed practice on your own......and don't be afraid to copy other people or steal their techniques, and even modify them to suit you. I used to try and copy Bill Wallace
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEO9JvAWW2w&feature=related"]Bill "Superfoot" Wallace: Setup for Sparring Kicks - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0xu6jnumU0"]"Superfoot" Wallace Kicking Drills - YouTube[/ame]

Although of course I was no were near what Bill could do...an other thing is to think where you are tring to move the guy to, back, sideways etc and target your next attack for there

10. Hannibal

Also try to attack more - action beats reaction as often as not and you can make THEM do the worrying

11. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

first thing is to relax. treat it like a game, stop worrying and start internalizing how it all works. reactions are ALWAYS slow, because they happen after an action has already started. instead of worrying about reacting to someone's attacks, study the way they move, and you'll eventually start seeing what they do BEFORE they attack, and that's when you have to jam them to attack (or by attacking, which is even better).

but first of all, relax. also i like looking at the throat or the clavicles while sparring

12. JKMann

JKMann Valued Member

Fish of Doom is right. You need to relax. Stop anticipating.

Years ago when I ran track, I was taught that in order to have the fastest start out of the blocks, you shouldn't listen for the gun. Just get into the set position. You'll hear the gun and know what to do. Listening for, or anticipating, the signal to go actually slows your response.

Of course in sparring things are a lot more complicated. The "signal" to go could be any of a number of punches, kicks, etc. And they all require different responses. However, you either know a correct response or you don't. If someone throws something you can deal with, you'll just react according to your training. (If it's something you're unprepared to deal with, you'll get hit. That's fine. It's sparring.) If you're anticipating the strike, your reaction will be slower. If you're anticipating one attack and other comes instead, you'll get hit. Don't overthink. Don't overstrategize.

This is sort of related to the concept of mushin, but mushin is a lot richer than this simple remark. It is not simply unthinking response or automatic reaction. If you want to explore it more, look into Takuan's The Unfettered Mind.

And be patient! Just train, enjoy training, and the progress will come. Don't be in a hurry. Be in it for the long haul.

13. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Stare straight down the barrell.

I teach a boxing drill where one guy is backed against the wall using defence only. His job is to stare straight down the barrel, never averting his gaze. He is only defending punches.
    The other guy is slowly (building up speed, but not power) throwing both straight and curved punches.

As soon as you move your stare and look at the punches you get hit. Keep the focus and look straight ahead and it is easier to find the correct defence to these punches.