Thinking of starting, need advice

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by PantherFist, Jun 13, 2003.

1. PantherFist

PantherFist Valued Member

I was wondering if any of you Hapkido practioners out there can give me any useful advice or information, as I am thinking of starting Hapkido next week.

I have practised kung fu for many years and thought I could do with learning an art that would improve my kicks and teach me throws and locks.

Any information would be most appreciated.

2. Sweeet

Sweeet Valued Member

Sounds like you know what you're talking about and have made a good choice - I'm sure your Kung Fu will help and supplement your new art.

There's not really a whole lot of generalistic advice/information I can give you... try hard? :p

Good luck.

3. jejanim

jejanim New Member

your kung fu will definately help you a lot because Hapkido..like kung fu..revolves around circular motions. you'll find that you will adapt quickly and learn faster than most of your classmates. however, i doubt hapkido will improve your kicks anymore than what youve already gotten from kung fu. none the less...i strongly urge you to pursue hapkido, b/c along with your kung fu, it will make you extremely well rounded. good luck man

jeja

4. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Find a good instructor first

Make sure you check out all of the Hapkido schools in the area and find a good instructor who will work with you and who seems able to explain things to you. See if you can do a couple of trial classes before you commit.

If you are at a stage where you wnat to train in another style, my advice is to choose based on the instructor. I love Hapkido because I've had good instructors. The Hapkido schools that I tried out that had no clear curriculum and an often absent instructor, I left and found another.

Any style can be good as long as the instructor is. Good luck and check them out first.

If you have already found a good instructor/school, your Kung Fu training should serve you well. I imagine you'll like the varied kicks and locks. Also, the breakfall techniques are really useful (and a bit painful at first). i think the key for the first few weeks of hapkido is stretching out well and applying heat (or ice sometimes) to the new areas that start to hurt!

5. PantherFist

PantherFist Valued Member

Cheers, thanks for the advice. I'm going on Tuesday, will see how it goes.

6. Jim

Jim New Member

Keep out of the politics as much as you can.