Thinking about kenpo karate

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by yannick35, Oct 27, 2007.

1. yannick35

yannick35 Banned Banned

After struggling with back pain for six years now and going to see a chiro for almost a year i am about ready to start to live a full life again.

I did have plans to go back into martial arts back in 2001 before i injured my back true weight training and terrible forms.

When i was younger i practived shotokan karate for six months then the school closed so i found a kyokushin school, i loved kyokushin but the sparring was really hard for me because i was 16 at that time 5 feet 10 and 142 pounds, most of the students in the class where in there 20 and close to 200 pounds. I stayed with kyokushin for a year and a half and go tired of getting beaten up, my friend father was opening is tae kwon do school so i decided to join.

I practiced tae kwon do from 1989 til 1994 and then school and job got in the way, i sort of lost interest in the martial arts at that point too, i was more into weight training. I was also fed up with the school policy and jalousy, and i had been cheated to many times in competition.

Back in 1998 i started boxing which i did for three months before starting an independent wrestling career for fun (pro wrestling in church basement LOL).

I feel more mature now at 35 and ready to commit to martial arts.

There is this kenpo karate and kickboxing school five minutes from my house i visited the place and it looks amazing, its packed with wavemaster punching bags, targets, hand mits, and a kickboxing ring. The only thing is that i dont know nothing about kenpo karate?

http://www.karatesunfuki.com/ is the website for the school i know they compete a lot , there is a lot of forms kata and also sparring my guess is point sparring.

There kenpo style is from Nick Cerio from what i have seen Nick was a great martial artist that studied a lot of combat sports.

I dont know if anyone is familiar with Nick Cerio Kenpo style and what they incoroprate in the system.

My main goal this time around is to just have fun and learn a discipline, i would like to know if Nick Ciero had some judo, boxing, jiu jitsu in is kenpo system he studied so many arts. I really dont plan on competing, i had my fair share in tae kwon do.

What goes on in a kenpo class? compared to say a shotokan class where you usually start with some basic stance and punches and then kick. There is a list of gear that everyone has to have to spar, adult need to wear the chest protector, hand and feet protection, head gear. I wonder how the sparring is if all this protective gear is worn? semi or full contact?.

The fee for this dojo is 50$ per month and i can go six times a week if i want, the adult classes depending on the days are from 6:30 pm to 8:30pm.

Thanks everyone and i really hope that i will enjoy kenpo, Jeff Speakmen rocked in the Perfect Weapon.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2007
  2. Nuck Chorris

Nuck Chorris I prefer North South

Well, at least the price doesn't suck.

Unless you are kidding, I would sit back and re-evaluate what and why you want into a particular martial art.

judo = no
    boxing = no
    JIU jitsu = hell no
    Kenpo = Yes

Most kenpo schools these days don't do a lot of fighting. I am not sure about this one. I don't read French so well anymore, but it looks like the head coach is a former full contact fighter. You may want to double check that with whatever organization he fought with. Be sure to ask because there are a lot of frauds. Then double check the organization. Are they a fraud?

And I guess Jeff Speakman Rocked the perfect weapon...only cause Bas Rutten wasn't in it too.

3. yannick35

yannick35 Banned Banned

Thank you very much talking about bas rutten

I am a huge fan of bas rutten, i have is whole dvd career and is training cds.

Its awsome cardio and the 29 all around fighting cd is a killer.

Thank you very much for input.

I can try a free class to see if i like it or not, the website was suppose to be transalated in english too sorry for the french.

Yes the sensei of that school if a former kickboxer himself.

I really like the fact that you pay 50$ and there are six adult class a week.

Me and my girlfriend will certainly try out a class in January, my back pain is not fully heal and of course i dont want to re-injure myself.

Today i found another private karate school that just opened its shorin ryu, they call it fitness karate for the same price 50$ per month you get 2 classes per week 45 minutes each? that does look like a so called mcdojo.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2007
  4. Nuck Chorris

$50 for 2 classes I wouldn't call McDojo, unless you were living in Mexico where the currency is a lot less valuable. In the case, it would be a McDojo...it would be a Dojo Bell.

5. yannick35

yannick35 Banned Banned

Great

This time around i will enjoy myself, the dojo was opened today there are classes Sunday morning i had the chance to talk to the sensei.

They spar a few times per week, they do have some grappling and ground technics but they are shown at brown belt and up.

There are weapons has well.

In class its semi contact sparring but in competition its always point sparring.

I dont really care because i wont go into competition.

Guess that in January i will be learning kenpo.

6. dianhsuhe

dianhsuhe Co-Founder: Glow-Do

Hmm

I personally would stay away from a place that teaches "Fitness Karate". LOL

2 hour classes can be quite long but it sounds like you are getting good value for your money at the Kenpo place.

You can do a search for "Cerio" so you can read about your lineage---and please keep in mind that jujitsu comes in a variety of flavors. BRAZILIAN jujitsu/ Jiu-Jitsu is grappling but there are other styles that are wrist-locks, takedowns, etc. It is not all "Wrestling"...

It actually sounds to me like you want MMA style training but I guess there is nothing within a reasonable distance from you?

Keep us posted-

7. bill007

bill007 New Member

Hi Yannic, if you are ready to travel a bit I suggest to come see us in St-Jérome at Studio Unis d'autodéfense, we are the Nick Cerio's Kenpo of Canada and our Grand Master is the 1st Successor of Professor Cerio, if you want information about us i'll send you the phone number in private.

Dominic

8. yannick35

yannick35 Banned Banned

Thank you but i live in St-Eustache and sunfuki is at 5 minutes from my house.

There is an MMA place called Sparmax in Rosemere but its a bit to far from where i live.

Like i said i met the sensei at sunfuki and i really like the place for 50$ per month i can go six times a week, and they do teach some grappling but at higher ranking.

A friend of mine lives in St-Jérome well Bellefeuille and its quit a drive to get to work, we all work in St-Eustache, he did ask me to go with him at is karate school he studies shotokan but the drive is a bit to far.

I would just get tired of driving 40 minutes to go to a class and then 40 minutes back.

Your school does look quit amazing and the website is great, maybe one day if i move to bellefeuille or St-Jérome i will drop by.

9. yannick35

yannick35 Banned Banned

Yup the fitness karate place looks like total scam in the add they say burn up to 800 calories per hour and the class only last 45 minutes twice a week.

MMA, i am an avid fan of mma for sure i have all the UFC dvds Pride DVDs (such a shame they are no more), if there is MMA on tv i watch it for sure IFL and more.

But lets face it i am 35 my age doesnt bother me but i have been injured with back pain, its getting better but there are still some adjutments to be done.

If i would ever go into an mma class i would have to wait another year to make sure that my back is totally healed up.

THen again i really liked what i saw in Kenpo, my girlfriend wants to train and some of my friends want to join too, that for me is pertty cool, and i can train and take my time to get a black belt in a legit martial art, MMA is not a legit art its a combination of martial arts, boxing, wrestling and BJJ.

Kenpo looks to be a way of life, pertty much like most traditional arts today.

So its better for me to stay on this side of the cage and enjoy that sport for what it is then risk getting injured again.

I have six years of my life to get back, i still need to lose 20 pounds and i have a bet running with my mother that i can fit once again into my 34 inch pants i am down to 38 now.

10. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

I prefer "Del Dojo" or "El Dojo Loco" myself.

11. Nuck Chorris

Next Kaju gathering, you need to do a standup routine. You and James can do a Gracie and Burns style comedy show for all of us. And while some of the guys are asleep and drooling, I'll be in the back ****ing myself from laughter.

12. yannick35

yannick35 Banned Banned

Ho my god where do theses expression come from too funny

13. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

Yeah, I know. With all the subtle, sophisticated, yet biting, humor here on this forum, mine just comes off as crude and juvenile. ---sigh---

14. dianhsuhe

dianhsuhe Co-Founder: Glow-Do

hmm

"El Dojo Loco" IS funny, there is no way around that...

I enjoyed your continuous fighting video also Dan, well done.

15. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

Thanks bruddah. I'll be in better shape for next year's event.