Thinking about doing some self defence

Discussion in 'Women's Self Defence' started by Su lin, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I'm getting slightly worried and fed up by the bad advice you see out there for women and self defence.I know there is some great stuff, but it's just starting to niggle me.
    I have done one bad course many years ago and not really touched it since,but the teaching of women specifically is really starting to interest me.

So, how would I go about learning about reality based self defence- what would be good courses to go on and books to read?

JWT- I know you know a lot about this, can you give me any pointers?

I'm just thinking,rather than moaning about the rubbish stuff out there,I might actually try and do something about it. It's just a vague thought right now,but I keep returning to the idea of it.

It just concerns me that women with no ma experience at all get told to use a punch, which is wrong to me in so many ways. Basically,it was only when I started mma (and I am not evangelising here) that I realised exactly what it took to try and get a man's weight off me,and that's when I started looking around at provision and getting really concerned about the lack of good stuff.

Also,working in an isolated environment where there have been attacks has made me very aware of my own training and lack of.

So,any advice on training so perhaps one day I can get out and do my own training with women would be really useful or at least pointers as to where to get it.There may be a chance I could get it paid for through work.

2. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Hi Lou,

My immediate recommendations with regards to books would be:

De Becker, Protecting the Gift
    Grossman, On Killing
    Grossman, On Combat
    Thompson, Dead or Alive

There is a huge amount of other good stuff out there, but the above cover the really important psychological elements that form the basis of a good programme.

With regard to training, talk to TKDMitch who is hosting a small course this month in the north midlands that you might be interested in.

Give me a call (phone number on my website) if you want more ideas etc... - my posting time is rather limited at present. :)

3. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Cheers JWT, was hoping you would see this!

What about Dave Turton's courses, any good?

4. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Dave Turton enjoys a good reputation but I haven't personally trained with him. TKDMitch has trained on courses with both of us so could give a very balanced view. :)

5. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Interesting you should say this. I'm thinking about doing a women's self defense class here at uni, just to see what it involves. I've never done one and am interested to see how much bad advice is offered!

6. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Do it and find out! How long is the course?

7. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I think it runs once a week over the course of the term. I'm not sure I'll be able to do it this term. I might have to see if it runs next term, but just out of interest I fancy doing it at some point

8. old palden

old palden Valued Member

I just want to encourage you to go forward with this. Your perspective on what would actually work, and your ability to relate to, and empower your students would be inherently better than what most men could offer.

I'd also be interested in future posts about what you did to prepare for the classes, and how they actually went once you started teaching.

Good luck.

9. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

This is what I'm thinking and what I am interested in. You get a lot of men teaching women's self defence,and I am not saying there is anything wrong with this where the content is good. I just wonder if a woman teaching it would be any different.

I'll definitely post my progress though,here and my blog too.

10. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

A woman teaching it would be better than a man. I think it is most difficult to instill fighting spirit and effective techniques into a timid or weak person.However, a woman showing a positive and confident attiude and PRAGMATIC technique would encourage other women more so than a man who obviously "knows" martial arts.

I would first of all concentrate on making it most difficult for an attacker to control you before considering attack.Enough noise and a good defence can stop the situation escalating whereas if you strike, it BETTER be effective or you shall enrage the attacker.

Fighting for anyone should be a last resort but when under attack simple and effective strikes to the throat or groin and ALL actions must be with the intent to escape.

My wife was attacked and she escaped by breaking his little finger and in the instant of shock striking the carotid artery and then running away leaving her high heeled shoes behind.Like my daughter she is 2nd dan aikido (hard school) but said that no technique came to mind she simply applied what I had taught her during self defence class.

regards koyo

11. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

This is something I'm in the process of putting together at the moment.

You will have a PM and an invitation in a moment Lou :)

Mitch

12. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Thanks Mitch :D