Thinking about changing from Aikido to Ju Jitsu

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by dsm, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

No I absolutely do not

I was using your measure to illustrate how it is flawed.

You need to learn to understand context within a debating framework

2. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

So again...

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Your logic and reasoning do not exist in a vacuum within this context

What JJJ have you trained in?

4. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

OK, lay out the context for me.

5. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

"Aiki" is a concept utilsed by the Koryu of fuedal Japan long before Aikido existed.

It had a different dynamic to it however, and wasn't a major part of most systems.

Aikido in the form we know it today has more of a spiritual edge to it (for want of a better word), but a lot of the actual waza originates from older Japanese Bujutsu systems such as Yagyu Shingan-ryu, Kashima Shinto-ryu and of course Daito-ryu.

Gary

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  6. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

What are you defining as JJJ?

7. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

@HANNIBAL..

Oi come here....

Love it so direct...

Lmao on a friday night in
    LONDON

8. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

Never mind London, what about the Elmsleigh?

9. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

There too Gary ...

10. KLavoie

KLavoie New Member

There are different flavors of Aikido. I had tried one "Iwama Ryu" I believe, many many moons ago for a few months and did not like it at all. My friend on the other hand teaches "TenShin" Aikido, and it is totally different. It is a harder system in its application, more dirrect with it's techniques and uses smaller, tighter deflections. Although I do not train with him, we do share ideas and speak about how different paths are.

11. Richard Stevens

Richard Stevens New Member

It doesn't make sense to make blanket Aikido vs. Jujutsu statements. What Aikido? What Jujutsu? Is it some modern interpretation or is it Koryu? You can't even begin to make comparisons until you are specific about the arts in question.

Shindo Yoshin Ryu Jutsu vs. Yoshinkan Aikido is a much different conversation than Aikikai Aikido vs. Yoshitsune Jujutsu.

If you're interested in striking, add training in a striking art to your schedule. If you want the fastest route to being able to handle yourself in a confrontation train BJJ and Muay Thai.

12. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Welcome to MAP.

This is based on what? These are not self defence systems.

13. BoroGrecian

BoroGrecian Valued Member

I'm not looking to change from Aikido to JuJitsu, but I am looking to make JuJitsu a part of my routine in order to improve my Aikido.

As I have got older I have become less aggressive in my approach to martial arts, as a youngster I did Kenpo and in my 20s I did TKD. I found while doing TKD that I was less inclined towards the striking arts and wanted something more defensive, eventually I found an Aikido club which I love attending (very small attendence and an instructor who is willing to teach one to one if no one else turns up)

However I can see the value in JuJitsu for my Aikido practice and also as a means of anger management (something which I have had issues with over the past few months because of various reasons)

If I don't like it, I won't stick with it just for the hell of it, I'll just continue enjoying the aikido

14. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

I was right with ya till you mentioned Krav Maga.

Yeah, no.

15. nunchaking

nunchaking New Member

Aikido practitioners consider themselves a starter when they get to 5th year. In general, Aikido focus mostly in wrist locking, joint locking and throwing. JJJ focus on ground art. I do not know too much about JJJ since I have not formally trained on it but do work on it a bit with experienced practitioner.

Aikido will take a very long time to 'master'. Techniques are easy to learn but the effective of execution and the mindset can take long time to master. There are many varieties of Aikido. Tomiki Aikido would be probably fit you if you want something more aggressive. That style has 5 effective strikings techniques (atemi) and spar (randori). Remember, Aikido don't go out and attacking people. So their striking techniques are really just defensive (shomen,aigame, gyaku, gedan and ushiro) .

In our dojo, we usually finish off a successful thrown with Judo pins (e.g kata gatame) or armbars if opportunity present itself (nothing too fancy). Another example, if hikiotoshi didn't work, we turn it into soei nage (judo technique) if opponent too resistant and stable. Every dojo is different, you will need to check out what type of Aikido you are into. I would say most people do not see the effectiveness of the art before they dropped out from the dojo. (we have very high drop rate). Whoever had been there for a few years full time are not easy target. Every martial arts have their advantages.

Aikido is not an art for you to dance with another fighter on the street. It mostly evasive and defensive. If you 'plan' to show how big you are and accepting challenge from someone, you will need to know striking art (karate, tkd or muay thai) and jujitsu/judo/wrestling to complete a full fighting package. In that situation, things can get ugly and fatal. If you win, you go to prison (unless you have solid case that you are defending yourself) and if you lose, who knows what happen.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  16. Dean Winchester

Compared to the likes of BJJ and Judo I think you'll find JJJ is rather limited on the ground, they tend to have a slightly different outlook.

Whilst it's going to depend on the ryu-ha in question generally speaking I wouldn't say it focuses on the ground, taking people down or preventing a weapon being drawn against you yes but that's a little different.

17. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

In my experience the JJJ is very limited on the ground compared to those two.

18. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

and i'll add...

even if there are techniques taught that are ground-oriented, without adequate pressure testing, those techniques won't do anyone any good anyway.

19. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

aiki jujutsu is the best if you can find a dojo near you that teaches.

20. Dean Winchester

What makes it "the best"?