think somethings wrong with my core

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by furinkazan, Apr 9, 2014.

1. furinkazan

furinkazan Valued Member

for a couple of months I've been having lower back pain and a strong ache in my front around the pelvic area. I've seen a physio because they believe the muscle in the front and back are aggrivating each other and I've tried to feel around to work out exactly where the pain is.

I'm not super knowledgable on muscles, but i think its one of my deep core muscles. To say where the most pain and soreness is: go to the pelvic ridge at the top and move into the fleshy muscular area slightly on the inside. Then literal push all the way in until your fingers meet bone. I've noticed while its really sore, if I pull my gut as far as it will go, I get niggles of pain in both my back and in that same muscle.

Doing core workouts like crunches feels like its going to tear, and sometimes pain shoots down my leg on that side.

I've also noticed that the muscles up my side (obliques I believe) and the ones that go all the way up to connect with the bottom of my rear shoulder muscles feel tense and sore down, and dont give much if I try to stretch or turn, usually with horrible cracking noises and popping feels.

I believe some of this muscle tension is down to a stressful few months of my life, but I'd like to get some recommendations on what I can do to relieve the tension and regain my flexibility. I want to get into some serious bodyweight training and once uni is over, focus a lot more on my martial training, so getting my muscles and flexibility back and improoving that would be a massive help.

2. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Are you sure is a muscle issue? You may need to see you GP as you may need to rule out things like hernia, appendicitis, etc etc.

3. furinkazan

furinkazan Valued Member

I've been going to the doctors about a bowel issue they believe could be a hernia, but they havent found one when they look... now that you mention it, it's not far from the appendix, but I dont think I'd have to push all the way in till I can feel bone to find that. I'll have to make a note of that though.

The shoulder gives me grief if I reach up or move my arm behind my head, Im convinced thats muscle based considering how utterly lop-sided my strength is there even when I lift, and my range of motion is utterly pants as well. I think a lot of these are connected because its all mobility issues on my left side.

tight neck, weak shoulder, pulled side muscles, that thing in my hip, when Im sitting I get discomfort in my buttcheeck and the muscles to the top of my leg (roun the side of my hip and on the hip joint) I will need to keep stretching it out a lot but do you think its worth talking to the physio again?

That appendix thing is a concern though.

4. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi 'furinkazan',

People to ask.... Medical professionals - YES; random people on MAP - NO.

5. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

The 'go see a doctor' thing is the first thing to do, followed by advice to go and see a good physio. Do you spend a lot of time sat at a desk using a PC? Your issues could be postural RSI type issues related to lifestyle. Tell your physio exactly what hurts, what causes it to hurt, what you do for work and sports etc.

Stop doing crunches for core strength! There are much better exercises that you can do, that don't contribute to lower back problems - planks for example.

6. righty

righty Valued Member

You said you went to see a physio. What did they tell you why didn't you continue seeing them?

7. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Any physio and medical professional advice you've received will probably be more valuable than anything we can offer on MAP.

I myself can't be of much help, but my wife might have some ideas. I'll ask and get back to you.