The year of Shenmue

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Dan Bian, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

So it turns out that 2018 is to be the year of Shenmue!

One of the first the first "open world" games, the story of a young martial artist setting out to investigate and avenge the murder of his father in 1980's Japan was a real emmersive experience, integrating open world exploration, qte sequences and free battles based on SEGA'S Virtua Fighter series.
    The first game was released on the Dreamcast in 1999, with the sequel coming out in 2001.

In 2015 the production of Shenmue 3 was announced at the E3 conference. Originally slated for a late 2017 release, the game was pushed back to late 2018 when additional developers came on board to support the project.

Just this weekend gone, SEGA announced they are re-releasing Shenmue 1 & 2 in HD for PS4, Xbox1 and Pc. They are expected to be released in time for Shenmue 3's release at the end of 2018.

These are by far my favourite games I've ever played, so you can probably tell that I am hyper excited for this year :D

Original game trailer,:

Shenmue 3 announcement;

Shenmue 3 trailer;

Anyone else a fan of the old games?

Dan93, Knee Rider and Jaydub like this.
  2. Jaydub

Jaydub Valued Member

I'm a huge fan of the original Shenmue and the Dreamcast console in general. I still bring the game out every once and a while and play through it.

I may just have to break down and buy a PS4 one of these days.

Dan Bian likes this.
  3. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Never played it, always wanted to.

Definitely up for this.

Rand86 and Dan Bian like this.
  4. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

My friend works for Sega. I know hes got a Confidentiality Agreement but I'm still throwing stuff at him to tell me something..

axelb, Jaydub and Dan Bian like this.
  5. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Sorry, to hear you got fired. But look at the bright side of it: *I* now know, that you can play a person!
    ;)

Heard of the games, but didn't play them.
    I guess, I will keep my ears open about them and might take a look at them.

6. Dan Bian

UK retailers are now starting to take pre-orders for the rereleases of 1 & 2 :)

7. Dan Bian

My DC is still going (just about!) I love replaying the originals (though I prefer the Xbox version of 2, as they did away with the horrible combat-blurs during free-battles).

The day after Shenmue 3 was announced at E3, I went out and bought a PS4 and a HD tv in preperation :D

Jaydub likes this.
  8. Jaydub

Jaydub Valued Member

I also played the second one on XBox. I liked it, but there will always be a special place in my heart for the original.

Dan Bian likes this.
  9. Jaydub

Jaydub Valued Member

Please ask him to have Sega make another console.

Knee Rider likes this.
  10. Dan Bian

Definitely - no.1 has a little something that I think was missing from no. 2. I think it was the more subtle bgm in number1 that made that bit more special.

11. Jaydub

Jaydub Valued Member

I'm not sure if I'm going to play the remake. I think the game is perfect as it is.

Much like Final Fantasy 7, and other classic games, the dated graphics add to the charm.

12. Dan Bian

It's not a full remake, it will still have the classic graphics, but enhanced for HD display :)

13. Mushroom

Im basically saying... "I know that you know that I know that you cant say anything..but..."

14. VoidKarateka

VoidKarateka Valued Member

I can't wait for this! I'm pretty sure they're doing these remasters because we're very close to a release announcement for Shenmue 3.

For thoe who enjoyed Shenmue, I recommend playing the Yakuza games too. They were made in the same sort of open world style but with quite possibly the coolest manly-man in games as the main character.

15. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

I never owned a Dreamcast first time round, but I bought one and some VGA/HDMI adaptor box thingy in the intervening years just so I could play Shenmue I and II. Paid top dollar for near mint condition copies of the games, and I spent most of the time driving a forklift. Pure magic.

Dan Bian likes this.
  16. Mushroom

That 2hr long ending where you basically walk to no where...

17. Dan Bian

I loved the last disc of no.2, with the long walk through Guilin :)
    And now, finally, we'll be able to see what happens next! :D

18. Dan Bian

Boom!!
    Shenmue 3 has landed, and it is AWESOME!!

Got my kickstarter copy a day early on Monday, and spent all day Monday and Tuesday playing through.
    Absolutely faithful to the feeling of the originals.

Jaydub likes this.
  19. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Im sorry, I do not mean to intrude, but I have to say this. Every-time I see the thread title my brain translates it as 什么 (Shénme) which is Mandarin for "what"

Sorry, I did not mean to intrude.