...the wolverine has just been let out of the cage.

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Microlamia, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

Less so in deadlift apparently, though I aim to do about 30 reps in total in a workout, with 6-9 at work set weight, whereas on squat and bench more like 50 reps with 20+ at work set weight.

"...since the deadlift involves more muscles and more weight than the other lifts , it is easier to overtrain and should not be trained using sets across. It is really easy to get really beat-up doing a lot of heavy deadlifts. One work set at the intensity of a real work set is usually quite sufficient to maintain improvement." Rippertoe p.298 'Starting Strength'

2. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Last session that I forgot to log consisted of:

OH press 7 x 3
    Squats 7 x 5
    Pullups 3 x 10

Tonight's one:

Deads 10 x 3 (asked on Iron Nation about it, apparently if you don't suffer any neural fatigue afterwards you're safe to do high volume)
    Powercleans 5 x 3
    Posture like a moron in mirror
    Complain because external obliques, while visible, are not huge a la Cyborg Santos
    Drink some chocolate milk to get insulin going

3. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

aha! i wonder who said that?

if you want to gain a whole bunch of muscle an strength 10x3 is your friend IF you have the recovery and work capacity to use it.

i'll send you an awesome 2 day 10x3 set up if you'd like? everyone i know did well on it during the season.

4. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Yes please!!

5. seiken steve

IMO that's way to little volume, while 10x3 is a little extreme those desperate for more mass need to be a bit extreme.
    Personally I never bought into the one heavy set of 5, my progress went no where and I believe that only using sets of 5 ala Mark riptoe is ineffective for improving ones total. Doubles tripples and singles for strength along with sets of 5 and 6 for mass has always been my go to.

When I started training I got to a 405 pull by simply doing one set of 5 one set of 3 and a single every Friday. The condition was I had to set a PR in one of the sets.
    Every week I got either a new 1RM, 3RM or 5 rep max.

Anyway sorry for the hijack corona hope some of it useful.

You have a PM.

6. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

Volume isn't just the number of reps. Volume consists of the weight, the time and the frequency. One should vary the number of reps based upon the goals they are trying to attain.

7. seiken steve

I know what volume is...

8. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Hm...
    Interesting.
    im currently going 3x1 at my max then dropping down a little and hitting 5x1. i might include your method into it...

9. seiken steve

If your pulling it 3 times it ain't your max buddy! What your doing sounds pretty cool but remember to make progress in all rep ranges (within reason) heavy singles are obvious but doubles, triples and 6s (my personal faves) are important too.

10. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Your probably right!
    i've been working on form a lot. time i start hitting heavier.
    im definitely gonna change to a 3,5,1 format.
    next cycle ill include doubles a 6's

11. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Ok, apologies for being a lazy bum and forgetting to log all my sessions...

Last night's was just 3 x 10 pullups, as I have somehow harmed my sacro-iliac joint...

12. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Annoyed as hell at not being able to work out as usual.

I can still do weighted pullups, though. LOL.

13. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Ok, attempt 2 at keeping a log...

Today: 20 pistol squats. Reason: working on 'unstable' exercises to help with proprioception.