The usual new questions...

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by Skinneh, Nov 21, 2003.

1. Skinneh

Skinneh Skinny Theif Ninja Spy

Well I have a few questions to ask, please be patiant and my writing skills are horable :D

First off, Im interested in taking kickboxing. Basically im kinda small 5'10 around 145 pounds. Some random useless history.... Ive never been in a fight, ever. I have only been punched once ( a real punch not some gay random punches :p )and that was a in highschool hehe. Lately a couple of my friends have been in some scraps, and it makes me wonder. I want to be able to react if the time ever comes, to protect my familly, my GF, my friends. I still dont plan on being in a fight, but knowing that if I had to, I would beable to do something instead of stand there and cry :eek:, would be awsome. I also think training would be a great way to get some anger out.:Angel:

Is sparing with a friend a bad idea ? :D My friend who has done a bit of (something I cant remember back a few years ago) is going to sign up with me, but I dont want to spar if its going to cause bad blood. He is alot bigger then me though so im sure it would fall on me, to not hold a grudge as he kicks my ass.

How has training made you more confident? How has it strengthened you? Do you find it fun? and why exactly? What is it that you enjoy about it ?

The only thing im worried about is my wrists are skinny, I dont know how they will hold up to hitting things.

I want to choose kickboxing because, ... I want to actually hit stuff.. I want to be hit... and I dont want to do crazy ninja flying kicks, I just want the basic hehe. And finally my friends dad works with one of the teachers... so atleast I will be in good hands.

I think that is it? No real point to this post heh. :cool:

I know you guys will tell me to go down there and watch ect, but its intimidating, not knowing anything about the "sport" and being smallish, and asking dumb questions :D So I thought I would ask them here first hehe.

2. thiaboxr2

thiaboxr2 New Member

Welcome to MAP!

If its kickboxing you want, then go for it. Its always better to train in something you want then in something that may not hold your interest.

There is nothing wrong with sparring with your friend(s). But you have to know each others limits.- How hard of a punch/kick can you recieve without wincing in pain? Do you plan some heavy sparring or some medium contact? If you want to be punched or kicked harder, let him know.

When you start classes, they will teach you the correct way to throw punches which will help in strenghtening your wrist. Plus you will get an overall body workout.

To answer your other questions...I have been doin Thia Boxing for about 2 years. Overall physical strenght and endurance has greatly increased. I also like the ' contact' sparring provides. I also spar with a good friend. I can punch or kick him with a good amount of force as he does to me. We know what we can handle.

:)

3. zun

zun New Member

My trainer is 5'8, and triple world champion. So don't let size worry you.

Difficult to say whether it would protect you or your family. At the end of the day, it does not come down to your art, it comes down to you - as a fighter. Training will help.

KB is great for fitness and confidence. Great way to burn off anger and frustration.

Only a good idea, if both of you are chilled and can take getting hit. Also if he's better and bigger than you, it means you'll improve faster cos you have to catch up! How's that for incentive :D

Yes. Yes. Yes. Everyone has personal reasons. LOL! It's also made me more attractive to the girls!

Note: it's not for everyone cos it's harsh and hard. All my friends that I signed up with - dropped out. It was for me! It might be for you... only one way to find out.

They'll have wraps and will improve with conditioning and training.

So do it already!

No dumb questions. There was a website out when I started about 3 years ago. It was called something like girlbox.com (I can't find the link sorry!), and answered many of questions. Just go out buy some books and read some old posts here. It'll help you.

Enjoy.

4. Fluffy Wabbit

Fluffy Wabbit New Member

I'm pretty new to the kickboxing (few months) and had similar requirements of a MA as yourself Skinny. If i were you i'd go to classes for a while to grasp the basics before even considering sparring with anyone.

Learning to throw a punch and conditioning your joints (esp. your wrists) does take a little time, but if you rush in and damage yourself then you can be out of action for 2-3 weeks which, at the beginning, can be enough to put you off.

If you can find someone to start with you then you can jointly buy some focus pads and safely practice what you've learnt in class. This way you can both get used to eachothers way of training and develop a good sparring partnership.

To help strengthen wrists I personally recommend doing push ups on your knuckles (knuckles pointing away from your body about level to your sternum). Start with just one or two and increase as much as you can. It makes a dramatic difference in a very short time.

And as for fun? Well I never expected to get the kicks (pun intended) from it that I got. Im still sometimes nervous when i start but 5 minutes in I am loving every second. You might get a bit brusied and battered but when the adrenaline is pumping you just dont notice. The next day you do, but hey, thats how you know you're putting the effort in. Within a 6 weeks of starting you'll be comfortable and, because there are only a few moves to master, also able to train properly.

Give it a go. You have nothing to lose and plenty to gain. But be warned, this stuff is addictive.

5. Yan

Yan New Member

Okay, first things first. In the arts, any art, a very important thing to remember:

Have respect for other people and above all yourself

Stop cussing yourself mate. Height and weight are irrelevant when you know enough. There's a boy in my kickboxing club who is lanky, about six foot with pipecleaner arms. I sparred with him and the footwork he was pulling off was incredible, I couldn't get a decent hit on him if I tried. It's not all about how hard you can punch.

Another very important thing is to join up with a friend, just one friend who you know will stick it out with you. An hour a week (or more) will not suffice - you have to practice day-in, day-out, and the only way to do this is with someone who knows your sport. Untrained people can be dangerous in sparring both to them and yourself as they don't know how to attack or defend properly (assuming)
    Also you will not remember everything and the instructor won't be around waiting to answer your questions. You need a friend who's heard and trained in everything to verify and practice with you. If you can't find a friend to join then just go it alone and bash some pads at home but KB is simple, fast and fun so you should be able to get someone to tag along.

By your post I can tell that you don't have much confidence in yourself. Kickboxing will improve this dramatically. Once you learn the rope you'll be wondering how you lived without it: becoming fit, muscular, more attractive (as zun said), have a more stable state of mind and be able to deal with any violent or aggressive situation. It can also keep you calm when the pressure's on for anything, even a high school test.... it has a vast affect on your mental well-being which is one of the biggest advantages.

As for the kung-fu stuff, you're right to want kickboxing. It is one of the simplest fighting styles around, designed I think for the average teenager or young adult, where street-fight situations can be common. Kung fu in these situations would be very difficult to utilise, with all the complex moves and stances. So choose the right martial art for you.

What worries me is that you've never been in a fight. I've been in more than I can remember (not something to boast about) and now the hits don't affect me. But in the first few fights I had, the shock of being hit in the face totally fazed me out - I didn't what the **** to do. So definately get sparring with someone of your level as soon as you learn the ropes, don't go in too hard but try to be hit a little. You won't be able to block every shot and you need to be ready for that smack in the jaw when it (inevitably) comes.

Kickboxing will help you in all of this. I hope you take my (and others) advice to heart and actually join. Personally I think it's the single best thing you can do for your life at any age below 50.

Good luck!

Last edited: Nov 27, 2003
  6. RubyMoon

RubyMoon New Member

Be careful with this. When you spar, try to do it in a controlled environment with the proper equipment and, preferrably, with someone to act as a referee. "Friendly" sparring outside of the training hall can easily get carried away. Invariably, when friends know you are studying a martial art they may want to goof around and spar with you. I really recommend avoiding this, because it can be extremely hard to keep things controlled when one side has little or no training.

At the very least, be sure to put on the gloves and headgear and agree to some simple rules before going at it. Decide when you will start and when you will stop beforehand so it doesn't become a problem when one person wants to quit and the other doesn't.

There's nothing wrong with sparring with friends as long as you do so with self-control and a healthy attitude.

7. Skinneh

Skinneh Skinny Theif Ninja Spy

Thanks for the feedback :D

I talked to the guy and checked it out, it sounds great. Unfortinatly I cant go untill monday. ( stupid work ). He said classes go from 7pm till ... sometime later lol, 6 days a week.

I do lack confidence in the physical aspect. How can I not. Basicaly since I was born its pounded into you that a skinny or fat man is "inferior". Dont get me wrong though, im quite happy being skinny :) I get to make alot of good jokes to, it depends how you look at things. Also im a bit nervoius because of the fact ive never been in ANY sort of fight ever, nothing not even pushing matches, or little scuffles. Im just not that type of person, no one has even tried to pick a fight with me ever lol.

I agree with the sparing with your "other friends". I know they aer gonna say.. hey you are in kickboxing lets go at it hehe. Of course I will decline :D.

Oh well I cant wait. Im extremely competitive, and love challanges. This looks to be one of my best ones yet. A month from now I will be laughing :Angel:

anyways I was bored so I thought I would post. I already have learned alot from this forum, and from this post alone. Back to work hehe....