The trapping hands myth

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by Monkey_Magic, Apr 10, 2018.

1. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Quite right that's why wing chun is so well known as an effective fighting art and there are loads of clips of its practitioners making its principles work for real...... Oh wait my bad there aren't

2. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Seems to be working okay for Lomachenko in the video posted by Smitfire.

3. Yanli

Yanli Banned Banned

I am not sure if you are trying to be sarcastic, but I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you are not, I would hate to think that you would show disrespect to a fellow martial artist. Well, I can tell you from knowledge and experience, Wing Chun is a very good martial arts form, and it does make great use of trapping. Of course, you can not compare boxing trapping to Wing Chun trapping, that is like comparing ballet to Wushu performance.

Grond likes this.
  4. David Harrison

I don't think that is a good comparison.

Artistic performance is subjective, whereas fighting is a rather more objective activity.

5. Yanli

Yanli Banned Banned

My comparison of ballet to Wushu performance was to indicate they have artistic value that are completely different from each other, just as you can not compare boxing trapping to Wing Chun trapping, or at least not how the other gentlemen was trying to compare it.

Grond likes this.
  6. David Harrison

My point is it either works or it doesn't. It is easy to compare the two by that distinction.

7. Yanli

Yanli Banned Banned

Keep in mind, it working or not working may not be the form itself, but the user. know, I am sure you are aware of this, but to argue a point from only one viewpoint, where is the sense in that? Know, seeing all your response, I see that you were being sarcastic before, sarcasm is a form of ignorance, and I would think that your Sensei would raise you out of that ignorance. I would especially think towards a fellow martial artist, let alone an elder, and I am not speaking age. I will let that one disrespect go, but I hope you have the honor and integrity to show respect, especially to an elder.

Grond likes this.
  8. David Harrison

I'm sorry, where was I being sarcastic?

9. Yanli

Yanli Banned Banned

Quite right that's why wing chun is so well known as an effective fighting art and there are loads of clips of its practitioners making its principles work for real...... Oh wait my bad there aren't. Like I stated on the following post, "I am not sure if you are being sarcastic". I realize that many people, especial U.S. people have a bad or wrong impression of various forms, such as Wing Chun and Wushu, so when I hear a smart a@@ remark towards those particular two forms, I do take offense. My wife and I have been studying those forms longer then many have been alive, so we know when something is ridiculous or bull. As far as the trapping, I completely know it in the Wing Chun form, and so does my wife.

Grond likes this.
  10. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Yeah, that was someone else. Not David.

axelb and Grond like this.
  11. icefield

icefield Valued Member

It was me I'm the sarcastic one, although I'm being serious wing chun talks a great fight but there are is very little evidence of anyone being able to make it work , anywhere in any environment where someone is actually actively resisting the wing chun guy

12. Yanli

Yanli Banned Banned

Lol, oh my god, I have been rushing through these postings that I mistakenly thought it was him, I really need to apologize to him. Thank you such much for pointing that out.

13. icefield

icefield Valued Member

The world is full of people who have done arts for years and deluded themselves into thinking they know the real Kung Fu, the real wing chun, they can spot the bull a mile off and would never be silly enough as to train in a bad martial art for years

Of course said people can talk about how they know the real stuff but for some reason can never put up clips of themselves actually using their art against any one semi decent

14. Yanli

Yanli Banned Banned

I deeply apologize to you, Ap Owyn pointed out to me that it was not you that was being sarcastic, I was rushing through the postings and other things, I mistakenly thought it was you being sarcastic, once again please forgive me.

David Harrison likes this.
  15. David Harrison

Of course, I accept your apology, it's not a problem.

16. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Yeah, sorry Icefield. Felt a little like throwing you under the bus (though I doubt you'd have minded). :)

17. icefield

icefield Valued Member

It's a bus I've been under before both here and at the old Kung Fu magazine forum so don't worry :)

18. Yanli

Yanli Banned Banned

Something you should keep in mind, not everyone feels the need or ego to demonstrate their form. My wife and I have been in martial arts for many, many, many years, but have not had the need or desire to video tape us. There are those that make videos to truly teach, and those for personal gratification or ego. We posses none of those reasons, and just because you do not find a video of a particular teaching form, does not mean that it is worthless. So, be careful how you judge things.

Grond likes this.
  19. icefield

icefield Valued Member

It's funny how so many people who join forums offering advice suddenly have no ego or wish to prove anything when asked for video evidence

Just an observation

20. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Where's your video evidence Iceman? I'll wait.

Talk about observations. You're all talk. Stop putting yourself on a pedestal.

Who cares about other forums? Get over yourself, and give this new poster some good advice, or do us all a favor and shut up. You're one of the most egotistical bodies on this website, and I'm positive at this stage you're just a troll with no real skills at all.

That's not "Flame Mode" either. That's 100 % brutal honesty, something you can't handle.