The Sweeping Generalizations Thread..

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by TheDarkJester, Aug 8, 2006.

1. TheDarkJester

TheDarkJester 90% Sarcasm, 10% Mostly Good Advice.

Now firstoff.. the intent of this thread is to go through the misconceptions many have about certain systems and blow them out of the water, by placing them on the table, and having represenatives of their respective systems counter-post on here, and dispel said rumors.. Because lets face it. Many people have a predetermined idea about what many fighting styles are like... such as for example a few common ones..

All Brazillian Jiu Jitsu people are squat, no neck wrestlers who couldn't strike to save their lives.

Or... all Kung Fu stylists are in reality modern Wushu stylists who can look tough, but certainly can't dish it out.

Or even worse is the mentality that all Taekwondo scrappers are kick pulling point sparring poseurs who wouldn't know a jab from a right cross..

Or THE WORST ONE OF ALL, is that all Filipino martial systems are inhabited by a bunch of stick weilding psychotics with a penchant for caning people with rattan (this one might be the closest truth to the misconception IMHO ;))

So anyhoos. On with the show..

My major misconception I have with a certain style is in regards to Japanese Sword Arts. Now I understand the important need for safety, even with red/white oak bokkens and hitting your partner, but I'm under the impression that some if not most of the japanese sword systems do not incorporate flow drills like you would see in filipino systems, which in turn lead to semi and/or full contact drills.

2. [Capoeira] Mudo

[Capoeira] Mudo Valued Member

Capoeiristas go to classes and the teacher says "ok class, today were gonna learn how to show off".

3. kickgirl

kickgirl New Member

Muay Thai generalization

Originally posted by Drangonspawn: I agree. But since from what I can tell Muay Thai doesn't require any actual technique or skill, other than randomly whaling on each other with the 8 limbs of doom, they can start whenever they want.

I thought this one was priceless, it was in reference to the question "when should children start training?" :eek:

4. Tommy-2guns...

Tommy-2guns... southpaw glassjaw

western martial arts are pure larp for bored middle aged men

boxers are all inner city criminals

because your teacher is asian he is a badass who trained in the mountains,killing thousands of round eye barbarians in his home country before immigrating and becoming a kung fu instuctor in your local fitness centre

because you do kyokushin karate you automatically as hard as mas oyama and bulls fear you and allow you to freely mate with their cows....

5. medi

medi Sadly Passed Away - RIP

I think you're erring on the generous side, to be honest

6. TheDarkJester

TheDarkJester 90% Sarcasm, 10% Mostly Good Advice.

BWAAAHAHAHAHAHA.. I hope this thread continues on.. this is some great signature material.. :)

7. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

hmmm... let's see....

Well, we all know that Kung Fu stylists do insane conditioning and repeatedly strike each other in the crotch just for giggles. After all, an iron crotch is better than a plain old woody any day ;)

8. HwaRang

HwaRang Just don't call me flower

Hapkido happened cause an ex TKD McDojo student learned some Aikido.

9. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Karate chops look like the ones captain Kirk did in Star Trek (to knock aliens unconscious in 1960s gravel pits with a light tap to the shoulder)

10. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil wants to go climbing...

All real Muay Thai fighters kick trees and roll hard objects up and down their shins to toughen them.

11. Cannibal Bob

Cannibal Bob Non Timetis Messor

Yep, I've been there. Anyone from any culture is capable of being a bad martial artist, just like anyone is capable of being a good martial artist with enough training.

Really!?

I'm so joining a Kyokushin dojo now. :eek:

12. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Shotokan is useless, made for little kids and an oi tsuki is weak due to the mechanics of the punch :mad:

13. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

Krav Maga is the deadliest martial art on earth, because the Israeli army uses it.

MMA is "Just brawling."

oooh, my favorite, Aikido allows you to defeat your attacker without hurting them.

14. NaziKiller

NaziKiller New Member

Actually I've seen so many here and on Bullshido that really f'ing hate RBSD. Which it is, isn't it? I'm just guessing here.

15. funnytiger

funnytiger Earthbender...

One of my personal favorites...

Martial arts are soley about fighting and anyone who doesn't think so shouldn't be taking a martial art.

:love:

16. NaziKiller

NaziKiller New Member

So what are they about? Englighten me.

17. Origami Itto

Origami Itto Walking Paths

They are about becoming a better person through fighting ;).

Here is another one:

You can never beat a boxer, ever.

18. funnytiger

There is more to martial arts then just fighting... or do I have no business taking a martial art? lol

Last edited: Aug 8, 2006
  19. franksv

franksv Valued Member

How about all the magical mystical things that practicing some kung fu styles will bring.And the reason you are not experiencing them is cuz you are somehow just not enlightened enough yet,or your understanding is limited.I call it guru symdrome :D .

20. funnytiger

Lol! This is what I'm talking about! :rolleyes:

Here's another one I like:

Anyone who takes an MA just to fight is a chest thumping, knuckle dragging neanderthal. :D

Both statements are sweeping generalizations are they not? Or is it only a sweeping generalization when you agree with the statement. Otherwise their just wrong? :rolleyes: