The Style of Monk Wong

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by FightHero, Apr 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

As a martial artist who has spent many years in Traditional Chinese Martial arts, with Chinese teachers, trained in China...who were nothing more than Shifu......mysterious monks....herons, tigers and leopards.....masters.......quickly thrown together web pages that tell you nothing and have nothing to support previous amazing claims.....unknown people showing up to question and later to, almost certainly, support amazing claims......things that show a great misunderstanding of "Traditional" Chinese martial arts...aka a TCM teacher telling a student they are a "master" and for that matter claiming the title themselves.....would not be surprised if he was also not referred to or called himself shigong

[​IMG]

nuff said

Dan Bian likes this.
  2. BJJ Enthusiast

BJJ Enthusiast New Member

Fair enough; I can see why you'd say that and I would say the same frankly. In actuality I'm pretty bored stuck indoors during this whole crisis (and especially missing training) so signed up this morning to see if there were some interesting discussions/new martial arts knowledge around. I'll write up the Zoom chat with FightHero a bit later; it was very interesting...!

Pretty In Pink likes this.
  3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Welcome to MAP, BJJ Enthusiast.

4. FightHero

FightHero Banned Banned

So, to pick up on some points.

1. Yes - I personally witnessed the leopard - tiger - crane incident.

2. Okay, let’s deal with the intricacies of Monk Wong’s style -

Stances - we initially start students with a set of Northern Shaolin stances; we focus on Ma Bu and Gong Bu initially in order to develop power in the legs and rooting. After about a year of training, we relax the stances somewhat, in line with Neijia, with the student often taking a ‘shoulder width’ stance or a light San Ti if facing in one particular direction. I can of course go into more detail here.

Forms - students first learn a variant on a Long Fist form. It has extended positions and focuses on long distance striking, high kicks and large movements. There are then some animal forms to be learned (I can go into more detail) before everything gets smaller; at this stage we focus on internal power, relaxation and moving the body as a unit (in line with the 6 harmonies principle).

Theories and Principles - the style is based on Monk Wong’s spiritual training - with five elements, yin yang etc. all playing their role.

Jibengong - aside from the stance work, we have a number of ‘basic hands’, designed to generate power in different directions using the whole body. These are the ‘alphabet' of the style, training the body to move effectively.

Li Gong - we use a variety of traditional items (iron rings, heavy poles etc.) to develop strength.

Meditation - this is based on the religious training Monk Wong received upon leaving the fishing village. It focuses the mind and regulates the breath, which is essential when emitting power.

-

Any other questions?

5. Dylan9d

Dylan9d Valued Member

This line made me almost fall off my chair, laughing my nuts off.
    You have to remember that this forum is filled with the most sceptical people in the world (I'm one of them).

I would like to see a proper introduction, like your name and age for starters...

6. FightHero

FightHero Banned Banned

I am Jay and I am 32.

7. Dylan9d

Dylan9d Valued Member

Thank you.

And how long have you been training?

8. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Sound. Nice to meet you both anyway, hope you both stick around ^^

What belt are you in BJJ? :D

BJJ Enthusiast likes this.
  9. FightHero

FightHero Banned Banned

Since the age of 13.

10. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Please do. Particularly expand on what you mean by "After about a year of training, we relax the stances somewhat, in line with Neijia, with the student often taking a ‘shoulder width’ stance or a light San Ti if facing in one particular direction."

What do you mean "internal power"? What is your understanding of it?
    What is your understanding of the 6 harmonies?

In what way do these play their role?

Expand upon.
    Are you willing/able to provide an example on video?

How old are you?

11. FightHero

FightHero Banned Banned

Not sure how I can go into much more detail on stances, but it’s akin to starting a Northern Shaolin style and transitioning into Xingyi or Taijiquan. The rigid horse stances etc. are used initially to develop grounding and root. Once this has been developed, we focus on other things.

Internal power simply means using the body and mind as one unit. The six harmonies is essentially a concept that facilitates this, with separate body parts moving together as one, and the mind/spirit playing a role too. The principles are also important; for instance, in the five elements - a metal technique is used against a wood technique etc.

One time I saw Monk Wong truly use the six harmonies was during a winter retreat. We were training in the mountains on a wooden dummy. I was striking it with all my force but it would not move. Wong - moving his feet, knees, hips, shoulders, elbows and hands together as one unit - struck the dummy and it shattered into a thousand pieces.

As I have already stated I am 32. I may post a video but I need to get the approval of Monk Wong first.

12. Xue Sheng

Questions...ok

Who is Abbot Wu, and where, (what province and/or city/ and/or town) is "monk Wong" from, who where Monk Wong's teachers (lineage), and why does the "Learn more" button on Monk Wong's webpage take you to a WordPress page that tells you how to."Create your new blog or website for free" which does not give any information about "Learning more" about Monk Wong or training with Monk Wong

13. Xue Sheng

One more question, where, exactly, did you personally witness this leopard, tiger, crane incident?

14. FightHero

FightHero Banned Banned

Monk Wong is from Henan Province. His teacher was Master Li, who was himself a disciple of Grandmaster Yang. Abbot Wu trained alongside Monk Wong but the two have gone their separate ways - there is a rift in the school. Regarding the website - apologies; Monk Wong is more interested in training that maintaining his Wordpress, but I will alert him of this issue.

By the way, it will soon be Monk Wong’s 70th birthday - if anyone would like to contribute to buying him a gift, please let me know.

15. FightHero

FightHero Banned Banned

... I saw the leopard - tiger - heron incident in the mountains in China.

16. Dan Bian

You're the one who said you could, in your earlier post. :rolleyes:

Why transition from a "Northern Shaolin syle" into Xingyi or Taijiquan? What is the purpose of this transtion? How do the methods differ from each other? What are the pros and cons of each?

How do the six harmonies facilitate this?
    What is a "metal technique", or a "wood technique"? What is the meaning of these terms?

Blah blah, more made-up nonsense.

Apologies, your earlier post with your age was made while I was typing my reply, so I missed it.

Why do you need the approval of Monk Wong? You're a Master, right? Surely you can post a 10 second clip of you demoing something?

17. Dan Bian

Are we at the stage of you asking us for money already?
    Not even the offer of super-secret-kung-fu-skills, now only £9.99 a month? Just, "do we want to contribute towards a madeup monks birthday?"

18. BJJ Enthusiast

BJJ Enthusiast New Member

(Aware this is slightly derailing the current thread) 2 years. Just got my blue belt (hence the enthusiast). But keen to learn/explore more regarding other martial arts too as I've been enjoying it so much.

Pretty In Pink likes this.
  19. Xue Sheng

Happy Birthday to Monk Wong

Does Monk Wong refer to Teacher Yang as "Grandmaster" and what style did "Grandmaster Yang" teach? What style(s) did Master Li teach?

A lot of mountains in China. Which mountain range?

20. FightHero

FightHero Banned Banned

I don’t know how else to explain this issue with the stances as you just don’t seem to be understanding it - we essentially start with deep low stances to develop strength and then make the stances lighter to help with mobility etc. For elemental techniques - read up on Xingyiquan. Our style is similar in some regards.

“Made up nonsense” - you weren’t there, and what I didn’t mention is how during that same retreat in the mountains, a young upstart tried to attack Monk Wong with a Jian. Unluckily for the youngster, Wong’s footwork is second to none; he managed to get behind him and disarm him faster than I could see!

I need approval of Monk Wong because he is my teacher - this is very normal. Similarly, I won’t reveal the location of the mountains as it’s where Monk Wong resides. Grandmaster Yang, Master Li and Monk Wong all (obviously) practise(d) the same style - Grandmaster Yang’s family style.

As for money - I think it’s not so much to ask seeing as it’s his 70th! Have a heart.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.