the sparring adventures of hewho!

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by hewho, Dec 20, 2013.

1. hewho

hewho Valued Member

Hey guys and gals!
    As some of you know, I am a boxer, however I have encountered a problem! My club is very small, and I have no one to spar with! However I really enjoy sparring! My answer to this problem has been asking local clubs and dojos if they're interested in sparring!
    Mainly I've got negative answers, in that they don't allow people outside of their club to spar, or that they only do very light contact. However a local wado ryu dojo have said that I could spar with their guys, semi contact, which will at least help my footwork and broaden my style so to speak!

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Really, noone at all?

3. Kave

Kave Lunatic

This really doesn't make sense to me. If there is one other person at your club then you have someone to spar with, even if the only other person at your gym is an instructor. If you are not sparring in class then what you are doing isn't boxing, it is probably a boxfit class. The basic rule of thumb is that if a gym isn't producing boxers (ie people who are boxing competitively in either amateur or pro competitions) then it has no right to call itself a boxing gym.

Perhaps you should try to find a different boxing club.

4. hewho

hewho Valued Member

I'm 17, the others there are all 10 or under except for 1 girl who is my age but we can't spar properly (work hard on pads, and distance drills) and the coach won't spar with me

5. hewho

hewho Valued Member

Sorry, didn't see that, was posting. Originally there were three older lads I'd spar with, but ones joined the army, the other two quit. At the moment I don't have the money to join a new club

6. Kave

Kave Lunatic

Then you are not at a good gym, and you are wasting your time. Training at a place like that is essentially throwing away money. You will never learn to box where you are now. If you post up your location and why you want to train (ie self-defense, fighting competitively, getting fit) then perhaps someone here will be able to give you a recommendation for a good local club, maybe even a genuine boxing club. You never know, it may even be cheaper than where you are now (most boxing clubs are pretty cheap).

7. hewho

hewho Valued Member

It's free and the fitness is good XD I'm in Bridgnorth, Shropshire, main goal is competing, but also slightly SD

8. Dead_pool

You can either spar lightly with the girl,or be content with drills untill more join, or travel to a decent place, your slap bang in the middle of wolverhampton, telford and shrewsbury, so why not see what is travel to able.

nearest 'boxinglike' gym to you I can find is here -

http://www.revolution-mt.com/

looks like there boxing is fitness classes, but the kickboxing is harder contact

9. hewho

hewho Valued Member

Thanke :) will have a look at getting there in the new year, starting a PT college course in Telford

10. Kave

Kave Lunatic

Wolverhampton has an ammy boxing club:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wolverhampton-Amateur-Boxing-Club/117275935011561

Why won't your instructor spar with you? the only valid justification I can think of for a boxing coach being unwilling to spar is that he is a very old man. What is his fight record?

I really do not think staying where you are will ever allow you to achieve your goals of competing. You really need a good quality gym that consistently produces fighters for that. It sounds like your gym couldn't even rustle up enough people to work as cornermen for a fight, do they even have the industry contacts to arrange a fight for you?

11. hewho

hewho Valued Member

He has dodgey elbows, just had surgery. It's not really been talked about, I've only recently thought of competing, when I started it was mainly for fitness. When I have some regular income I think I'll hit an MMA gym in Telford.
    Thanks for the advice, I'm off to bed :) look after yourselves

12. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

So you're in the West Midlands? If you ever find yourself in the East Midlands feel free to give me a shout. I can do Boxing, Kickboxing, or Thaiboxing.

13. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

If someone doesn't punch you in the face at least once every session, you're not a boxer.

14. hewho

hewho Valued Member

Damn XD You guys are right, time for pastures new and more painful :D

15. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Do judo too.

16. hewho

hewho Valued Member

I loved Judo :D gonna start attending MMA and no GI a few times a week in January, but if the opportunity for Judo comes up in an affordable way I will definitely consider it!

17. Dead_pool

Telford judo club is excellent, I would put them leages ahead in skill terms to the local mma gyms In telford.

Theres also reaper gym in oakengates,, good thai and and a new bjj class with two gracie barra bluebelts teaching.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  18. hewho

hewho Valued Member

Don't really have the income right now for attending Judo and MMA, but hopefully will be getting some work when I qualify :) I will post how I get on

19. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Why can't you spar the girl? You scared?

20. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Judo is possibly the cheapest of all martial arts.