The Snake Pit - Billy Riley - CACC

Discussion in 'Western Martial Arts' started by slipthejab, Dec 6, 2012.

1. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

This was an absolute gem of a find. Wow. :eek:

Old CACC Wrestling - Billy Riley, "The Snake Pit" and Billy Robinson in his youth

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqq_LWudBek"]Old CACC Wrestling - Billy Riley, "The Snake Pit" and Billy Robinson in his youth - YouTube[/ame]

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Have you not seen that before Slip? Its been out for a while now

I love watching Billy Robinson move in his prime - you can just tell he was a real handful

3. Hannibal

You might also enjoy this!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQl6mmAtkbE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQl6mmAtkbE[/ame]

4. slipthejab

Nope not seen it till now. Brilliant. Man would love to train some of this style!!!

5. Hannibal

I am hoping to hook up (pun absolutely intended) with Billy this year

6. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I posted this video a while ago, I am honestly thinking about taking a holiday in Wiggan, since they re-opened the Snake Pit.

7. slipthejab

So it's been reopened... who's the instructor there? What's the set up? Anyone know?

8. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

the guy who teaches now is roy wood. one of the kids in the OP - billy mentions him by name

he reopened the snake pit. he taught freestyle at aspull cos no one wanted to leanr catch but he restarted teaching catch.

http://www.snakepitwigan.com/

IIRC tommy heyes is the other kid - he teaches in bolton wrestling club (2.50 a session)
    (i posted all this on my fb)

IMPORTANT TO REMEMBER:
    - tommy heyes calls in Lanchashire CACC
    - there are other styles of catch e.g. american styles like iowa and new york athletic club or even eastern european style
    - the reason lanchashire CACC became so famous was because many judoka arrived into liverpool and lanchashire ports where the first challenges were catch wrestlers.

9. Pompeythegreat

Pompeythegreat Im Very White Aparently

Stupid catch! Why are do you have to be so uncommon! Thats my usless input. Thanks for the video.

10. slipthejab

I'm curious how the catch would work in with BJJ and who are the best examples of this type of mixed game?

Off the top of my head would Kazushi Sakuraba and Eric Paulsen. Anyone have any other ideas?

11. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

IIRC Erik talks about how they fit together in the rolled up episode from budo videos. I think its on youtube now.

Edit - If you want to see high level female cacc vs bjj

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WuH_TI1dDQ"]SUPERFIGHT: Penny Thomas vs Shayna Baszler at Grapplers Quest at UFC Fan Expo Las Vegas 2010 - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  12. february

february Valued Member

Yeah Paulson talks about how catch is more aggressive in seeking the submission, whilst BJJ is "slicker", if I remember correctly.

I did a year or so of Paulsons CSW which has elements of both and the above pretty much matches my experience. BJJ (at least in the Gi) has more focus on position and pressure and a much more technical passing game, at least IME. CSW was definitely "nastier".

BJJ in general has better standardisation, you're more likely to find a good BJJ school than one that teaches catch (or elements thereof). That in addition to the fact that many people have been selling their snake oil in the Catch space for a long time now. I think Catch can be somewhat overly romanticised because of this. Even the standard of CSW varies wildly IME. A shame really.

There's an interview somewhere of Rigan Machado stating something along the lines of "grappling is grappling"' (apt, as he is Paulsons BJJ coach). The osmosis of styles of a number of years means that to an extent everything is a hybrid of one sort or another - and that this is for the better. A position I subscribe to.

13. Hannibal

In addition to those two, Josh Barnett is probably heavier towards the Catch end if the scale, but he is probably a pretty good mix having been under Paulson. And if course Gene Lebell (God) was trained by "Strangler" Lewis and Thesz.

The Catch game is definitely more aggressive, but there is nothing necessarily unique about that. Marcel Louzado will occasionally pull submission from a transition thanks to his wrestling experience. I like the fact that a lot of Catch has "teeth" to it. The inside shin lock counter to rear choke is one example and the brutal toe holds are another.

Erik once described how he was hand wrestling a Japanese catch guy and could not throw him or move him at all because his hand wrestling was so good. After a while Erik pulled guard and swept him easily simply because it was a tactic he was not used to.

Edit: Forgot Megumi Fuji as another hybrid fighter

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  14. Pretty In Pink

15. icefield

icefield Valued Member

roli delgardo lol

16. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Awesome clips. Catch is awesome. History is awesome. The two together are way more uh... awesomer. :)

Best regards,

-Mark

17. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

Its in the title..you catch what you can and hold/tie up or break or whatever. It can just be good to have that minset as oppose to a BJJ ground chess like minset.Its more agressive. Things not allowed in BJJ or Judo comps are in CAC.You dont always need to mess about playing a tehnical ground game...just take something and work it,if it doesnt work, move on.Good CAN often involves more than one hold at the same time. Painful.
    This crosses over great when combined with striking by applying a sub at the same time as striking. Painfull.The sub sets up the strike...or does the strike set up the sub? I dont know but it hurts.

18. Hannibal

Another name to add to successful Catch guys - Harry Smith just took gold in NAGA SH division.

19. Pretty In Pink

Can you post some videos?

20. slipthejab

Is this the Harry Smith:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cCAj0dTzFY"]Harry Smith & Dave Batista WWE Superstars - Catch Wrestling Americana/Key Lock - YouTube[/ame]