The Single Leg w/Shoulder Throw... in boxing

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by slipthejab, Oct 16, 2011.

1. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Man... what's this all about. That last thing I wan't to see in boxing :

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHOFraXlPms&feature=feedf"]Bernard Hopkins vs Chad Dawson - Round 2 & Decision - YouTube[/ame]

:rolleyes:

Opinions people?

I'll try to track down some responses from both fighters. The brief bit I heard was Chad Dawson talking trash. Hmmmm... that doesn't bode well in light of the fact that B-hop is well ensconced in the boxing world as a person who can hold his own and doesn't back down. So for Dawson to tell Hopkins that he's not *bleep and that he quit... it makes Dawson look like a total chump... especially given that it's Dawson in the ring throwing tackles into the mix. The referee needs to be taken out back and shot. :bang:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Wow, so many questions to be answered.

The ref called time, but later said there was no foul. If that was the case why was there not a 10 count given and B Hop counted out.

I question how much pain B Hop was in. While on the ground he showed signs of pain, stopped to complain and showed signs of pain again.

Is there going to be an enquiry into the actions of the ref? I saw the takedown as illegal and I agree that maybe it should have been a no contest.

3. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

At 0.35 he tried to guillotine i swear
    you can definitely see them both fighting for clinch and trying to set up footwork for throws.

How can you not call it a foul?

4. slipthejab

Landing on your elbow like that is a great way to separate the shoulder. I think it shows on the face of Hopkins on the some of the angles when they show the replay. I don't think it'd be easy to fake that instantaneously.

I think Dawson was frustrated because he wasn't able to break B-hop down. B-hop has always been frustrating for fighters because he is so crafty and he is very, very hard to break down. Lots of people think he's a dirty fighter... and many fans don't like his style as the reckon he should be the type of fighter who comes out guns blazing... but I don't think you survive as long as he has in this sport with that type of strategy.

This controversy on top of the whole Mayweather punch that KO'd Mr.-looking-the-other-way-even-though-the-clock started-Ortizcontroversy ain't great for boxing.

Or is it?

5. slipthejab

You realize you're watching boxing right?

Yes obviously they're going to work the clinch as much as they can... it's a legitimate tactic... especially if you're B-hop.

But I don't quite get what you're on about setting up footwork for throws. It's boxing it's not MMA. Which is why the tackle, throw and resultant decision by the ref is so controversial.

6. Mangosteen

B.Hop srsly did look like he was trying for a sweep at one point, judging from his foot work.
    And Dawson was really trying to aggravate with the fore-arm on the throat, way longer than any accident.
    The ref should have warned him then.

7. Simon

Are we all watching the same fight?

8. Mangosteen

No no. sorry Slip's post before mine clearly explains Hops tactics.
    He did some things i've haven't seen in a boxing match before.

9. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

He rolled along with it. I've dropped my Dad harder than that, and he was alright.

I think he faked it, it was a dirty tackle, but it was also crap for B-Hop to just fake an injury like that.

10. Simon

We've all been dropped harder than that and not been injured. On the flip side we've all had the slightest of knock and got injured.

I agree with Slip that the jarring effect of landing on the elbow can have a big effect on the shoulder, I do though doubt those (like footballers) who show signs of pain, then stop to argue their case before looking in pain again.

For me the biggest thing is the ref. If no foul there should have been a 10 count.

As soon as B Hop went down the ref waved his arms across his body to signify no foul. Now I understand the ref has a duty of care toward the boxer, but as soon as he saw B Hop was not concussed should he have started the count? The bell did not sound until much later.

11. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

According to WBC rules it should have been listed as a technical draw if considered accidental. If considered intentional, Dawson should have been DQed. Now Dawson is saying he'll never fight Hopkins again because Hopkins never wanted to fight in the first place. Bollocks.

12. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Awful awful reffing, as bad as anything I've been in MMA and I thought boxing refs were generally better! One fighter clearly threw the other one to the canvas. Hopkins didn't slip, Dawson threw him down. He should have been DQed. Worse case scenario for Hopkins is that it's judged accidental and called a draw. But a TKO.....?????

I think it's telling that even Gary Shaw wasn't happy about it, this isn't good for boxing, thats no way to win a fight, much less a world championship and he knows it. 0 credibility for his fighter and for the title in general.

13. Pretty In Pink

Amateur MMA refs are notoriously bad. But pro refs are normally quite good. Are you maybe thinking of the judges? :p

14. Mangosteen

Vale Tudo refs are usually pretty good.

15. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

The referee was the one who signaled "no foul".

16. Pretty In Pink

I meant MMA judges. :p

17. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

Whether or not Hopkins was really hurt or not is definitely in question. He seemed to transition in and out of showing pain. That can happen with adrenaline flowing though and there is a reason we all learn not to reach for the ground when falling. However the single leg was definitely deliberate and illegal! I couldn't tell where the ref was when it happened. The only feasible excuse is that he was out of position and didn't see what caused the take down. Otherwise he should never work in boxing again!

18. slipthejab

Sadly there are some ref's in boxing that are beyond bad. Boxing still has tons of issues like this. Boxing in some ways is almost something out of a dystopian comic book. Fans tend to know who the fighters are... but everyone defers to the nebulous bodies like the Boxing Commission etc., the judges, the refs... 99% of the time no one knows who these people are actually. What is their track record? Their involvement in the sport? Were they boxers? Just how much do they know? How many questionable decisions do they have under their belt.

It's crazy... man if boxing ever needed some reform it's now. Not that I expect that to happen. It's an absolute crap state of affairs... people calling themselves "the best pound for pound fighters in the world" who fight maybe twice a year. Ridiculous.

I will stop typing here before I have an aneurysm.

19. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Hopkins was legitimately injured.

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news;_ylt=Avapx3qzfiPD1Ct_6fpAb2eUxLYF?slug=ki-iole_hopkins_dawson101611

"Hopkins was examined at the California Hospital Medical Center and after being examined by Dr. Sam Thurber, it was discovered he suffered a dislocation of the A-C joint, which connects the collarbone to the shoulder blade."

I pretty much knew he was from his expression when he hit the mat and his reactions afterwards occasionally to someone icing it or touching it.

20. Mangosteen

Never include those words in the same post.
    Unless you're trying to get cookies from the 1%.

on a serious note - i agree. how can only fight twice a year. for S&C its a great thing.
    but the level diminishes because of it.
    old skool boxers fought year round!
    in short - future boxers won't be as tough.