The Simpsons Movie

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Archibald, Mar 19, 2007.

1. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

Ok everyone, The Simpsons movie arrives in June...

Let's hear your thoughts, hopes, fears and expectations.

I for one hope they go back to the 'old' flava of the simpsons - back when it was still a satire on family life and not a zany 'rollercoaster' that really has none of the wit of the originals.

The original series (everything up until around season 10) had what Matt Groening calls 'rubber band reality' - They can do the cartoon moments like people getting ridiculously hurt - stretching reality - but it always has to snap back. Marge used to be the anchor that kept the show grounded, and realistic enough to be interesting. Now EVERY character is insane, and the show is just like any other cartoon on TV.

Following on from that is my number one hope, as sad as it sounds...

I hope they end the show with the movie.

A) The show is dying....give it a dignified departure.

B) By ending the series with it, the movie could go where no episode ever could. It could really look into the characters which, really, we all care about (anyone remember the episode where Homer finds his mother? That scene at the end where he sits on his car and watches the stars always brings a lump to my throat) and would stop the movie being simply an overly long episode.

So that's my thesis if you will, on what the movie should be like.

But that's just my thoughts! I want to hear yours!!! Bring it on everyone....this highly anticipated movie is only months away :)

2. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Yeah the Simpsons TV show has jumped the shark. Too much "acid trip" humour and not enough real gags.

I pass your thesis with no corrections, congratulations Dr Archibald.

3. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Yeh the old episodes are beter than the new ones, they used have a stong story teling backbone, now the story is bent to fit gags, poor ones. It also used have more movie references.

One thing I do know they'll have is plenty of guest stars no one would turn down the chance to be in a simpsons movie.

EDIT: end the show with the movie. Definately.

4. Verx

Verx "Darkness Approaches"

End it with movie, the only one I liked recently was the Homer goes to India and the England one and even those are a year old.

5. karate princess

karate princess Savvy??

I love the Simpsons so I really want to see the film, however, I normally find that movies of a T.V. series spoil it a bit.

6. Fishbone.

Fishbone. Banned Banned

I've been hating the simpsons for ages. The gags aren't even funny, and it's the same old junk over and over. I've long ditched that series.

Futurama and family guy > Simpsons

American dad too :)

7. Angelus

Angelus Waiting for summer :D

i was raised by the Simpsons :D
    cant wait till the movie :D

8. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

*Mr. Burns voice*

Excellent....

Anyone have any theories on the plot? Keeping in mind James L. Brooks (I think it was him) said they were going to release several 'fake' plots and clips to throw people off, just like the second part of Who Shot Mr. Burns.

9. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

I just wish the show would end. It must be close to the twenty year mark.... no show can stay on that long and still be "Fresh."