The sandwich replacement thread

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Timmy Boy, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

I'm on the StrongLifts routine and I'm loving it. Only problem is, I'm constantly ravenous!

My job requires that I'm out and about for most of the day, so I like to make myself some sandwiches. They're just so convenient that it's hard not to. However, it's my understanding that bread is bad if you're trying to shed some fat, so I'm looking to replace them with something else. Given the popularity of sandwiches for lunch I would have thought this was quite a common problem!

What do you guys put in your lunchboxes instead of sandwiches, if anything?

2. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

A meat and some salad. Bit of fruit, some nuts. Easy really ;)

Edit: I travel around a lot for work...so yeah, it can be a bit of a pain in the backside figuring out what to eat.

3. Timmy Boy

4. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Why not?

Yeah, cook meat and prepare salads/veg/fruit in bulk and then just throw it in the box before you leave the house. That's what we do.

My girlfriend usually takes protein bars to work too.

5. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

This is where the salad is king because you can pick at it all day without over consuming calories.

A chicken pasta salad can be packed with so much.

Protein from chicken, turkey and/or nuts, then whatever you want for fill.

Carrot, bell pepper, onion, mushroom (raw) and I like to chop sweet potato, cube and shallow fry just until there is some caramelisation. It's a good source of carbs and a really nice flavour addition.

There is nothing better than your work mates watching their weight while you eat all day without worrying about calories.

6. Timmy Boy

I'm nit picking here but isn't pasta also bad if I'm trying to cut down on carbs?

7. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

For snacking, I'm on a spicy houmus/hummus (sp) and crunchy veg mode such as carrots and cucumber.
    Easy to nibble fruit as well such as grapes, where you can just graze over the day may keep your mouth occupied till you get to your main meal.

8. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

It's about balance. I'm all for a low carb diet, but without knowing more about you, your lifestyle, sleep habits etc, it would be wrong to recommend a low carb diet.

It's all about experimentation.

It's worth keeping a food log.

Write down what you eat, what time you get up and go to sleep, how you feel each morning and so on.

A good nutritionist will have you keep a diary for a week before making any recommendations.

If you've eaten a lot of carbs and wake feeling heavy, or slept poorly, then the diary will show this.

Rome wasn't built in a day, trial and error is the key.

9. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Pita bread, with a lot of meat, and salad

10. Timmy Boy

The kebab diet! Ding ding, we have a winner! :D

11. righty

righty Valued Member

Just remove all the innard you would normally put inside a sandwich. Times it all by 5 or more. And there is your salad.

12. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

alternatives

I can think of a couple of portable treats that you can either make or modify to give you a quick fix...

http://www.cookingsgood.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/wasabi-9-11-768x1024.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/aa/Yellowzongzi.jpg/200px-Yellowzongzi.jpg

The first is a japanese rice ball stuffed with salted plum..the second is chinese sticky rice/stuffing steamed in a banana leaf... but keep relatively well, are portable and filling!!

Worth a consideration!

LFD

13. Timmy Boy

So I put my chef's hat on and came up with this:

[​IMG]

Salad of roast pork, crackling, spinach, fennel and shaved apple with cider vinaigrette!

14. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Ok I have a packet of brownies, a packet of flapjacks, some chocolate mousse and a large strawberry trifle. Need ideas??

15. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

a sweet potato and a nicely seasoned chicken breast does the job for me.

3 mins to prep, 10 to cook. i generally do 3-4 as i eat 6 times a day when possible.

this also rocks:

http://www.weidermailorder.com/65-6-pack-bags

but i cant afford it. :(

16. Timmy Boy

Mix it all together, batter it and deep fry it.

17. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I've got a nice bottle of Shiraz or champagne, which?