The right time for weight training

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Cain, Nov 29, 2002.

1. Cain

Cain New Member

Ok guys I have been training for about a year now, I do push-ups regularly [can manage about 50 without rest]

I can't yet perform splits, but I have an 'ok' active flexibility [can hold my kick at about chest level]

Now the question is is this the right time for me to start weight train? Or should I give it some time? I had been using weights only for isometrics for my forearms......but now I am thinking of some serious weight training....what do you think?

|Cain|

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Go for it :D

3. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Whens the right time to do weight training?

When your over 16 and know what your doing!

Colin

4. Sean O

Sean O New Member

I guess I don't have to start a thread, this is what I was looking for :)

I've been training with weights for a while, but only with 10-25 pounders. This christmas I'm getting a bench press, and I know that if I could make things bad for myself if I don't know what I'm doing. So far this is my understanding...

No pain, no gain is a load of ****

Start off lifting about half my total body weight, and add more as I get stronger

If I get tired, take a break, then start up again once I feel better.

Of course, I bet theres more to it, and I know I probably said something wrong there, so go ahead, help me out.

Sean O

5. Sean O

Sean O New Member

Oh yeah, I'm not over 16... sorry freeform!

6. Cain

Cain New Member

Thanx for ur reply guys, now I just need a little advice, how much weights should I use? My weight is 49 kg ie 98 pounds [don't laugh ] how much weight should I use for barbells and dumbells respectively?

|Cain|

Last edited: Dec 1, 2002
  7. YODA

Yo Cain

Give me more details of your routine & I'll give you some input.

What exercises are you doing in what order?
    How many sets?
    How many reps each set?
    How often are you doing the routine?
    What equipment do you have?

8. Cain

Cain New Member

9. YODA

Hi Cain - pretty busy right now (Taking notes on some new tapes I've got) but I'll get back to you with some good advice.

Basically the stuff you mentioned above is not the way to go. If you're going to do weights then do it properly or not at all. You will need a bench, some decent weights & a training partner.

More later.....

10. Cain

Cain New Member

Hmm...ok...I am new to this sort of thing....lemme know where I am wrong

|Cain|

Last edited: Dec 1, 2002
  11. YODA

Ok - here's my advice for anyone wanting to train with weights to build strength for martial arts...

Firstly - strength training is hard.
    It involves lifting heavy weights.
    It involves high intensity low volume training.
    It involves BIG compound exercises that place enormous stress on the body.
    It involves proper nutrition & adequate rest & sleep.

Unless you have the time, dedication, equipment & environment to do this I suggest you do not bother.

If your goal is to "tone" or for cosmetic reasons I suggest you do not bother.

Yes - weights can be used to develop endurance, but I feel a good program of bodyweight exercises is a better option in this respect.

Right - the routing I recommend for people new to training with weights. This should be done for 3 months...

Do this twice per week - no more.

10 minute aerobic warm up. EG Bike riding, skipping etc.
    5 minutes general joint rotations & stretches (Maintenance stretch not developmental stretch)
    Free weight squat - 3 sets of 10-15 reps
    Bent leg deadlift - 3 sets of 10-15 reps
    Flat bench press - 3 sets of 6-10 reps
    Chins - palms facing you - shoulder width grip - 3 sets of maximum reps
    Shoulder press (from front) - 3 sets of 6-10 reps

That's it. Done. No baby dumbells. No preacher curls or flyes, just BIG compound movements.

Suggested link...

http://www.cyberpump.com/index.shtml

12. Cain

Cain New Member

Hmm....thanx Yoda, I am sure I can take the training which goes with it otherwise why would I be doing Martial arts, also I am not familiar with the chins and shoulder presses, also thanx for the link I m on my way.

|Cain|

13. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

What are preacher curls and flyers, I'm not good with names, probably do em though ;)

14. Cain

Cain New Member

Preacher curls r when u sit on a bench, ur arm hanging down completely holding a weight, there r many ways to do this, but the only one I am familiar with is that ur arm is hanging down at ur side, in other words if u r using ur right hand then ur palm should face to ur right, from there u curl the weight all the way up

|Cain|

15. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Whats wrong with preacher curles? I thought they complimented bench press by working the muscles on the other side of the arm. so whats flyers?

16. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

16's a rough guide for when your bones are fully developed. You don't wanna lift big weights until your all grown up, if you over do it you run the risk of becoming a warped midget!!!

17. Cain

Cain New Member

Hmm...Freeform, yes I am sure I hv reached my height limit, since it has been the same for about 6-8 months.

Pgm - As for flyes I don't what they r but I m sure it's in one of the exercises I listed earlier, Yoda knows about that....

|Cain|

18. Cain

Cain New Member

Sorry to pester u again Yoda, but I am still not sure how much weight should I use.....

|Cain|

19. YODA

....... as much as you can safely handle.

20. Cain

Cain New Member

Hmm.......ok and thanx for your reply, I will be getting my weights in about 2 weeks. I appreciate that :)

|Cain|