The Revanchists introductory thread

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Revanchist, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Revanchist

Revanchist Valued Member

I recently decided to join the MAP forums, and here I am.

A little bit about me:
    I'm John, 17 years old, 5'5 140 lbs.
    My hobbies are free running, surfing, and of course Martial Arts.

I've been trained privately by a family friend, who is literally the second best fighter I've ever met in my life, it is an honor to train under him.

I've been formally trained in Muy Thai for 3 years, BJJ for 1 year, and Aikido for 6 months. Unformally, I have been training in Krav Maga for 6 years, and Jeet Kune Do for 5. I recently started Tae Kwon Do to augment my kicks and increase my flexibility, which I've been having some trouble with.

I'll sparr with my friends sometimes, and I look forward to competeing in MMA when I turn 18. By then I should have enough training to go lightweight, I hope.

2. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Welcome to MAP, John :)

3. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Hiya John, Welcome to MAP. :)

4. Spinmaster

Spinmaster Valued Member

Bienvenue John! (I was going to use the smiley, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to be a little different than Anth and RedKit :D)

I'm curious, most of your training seems MMA oriented, so the Aikido stands out a bit (I'm definitely not saying Aikido can't help MMA, just that it's not super common in MMA circles: my Yoshinkan coach also does MMA and he says his Aikido training really helps when it comes to unbalancing opponents) - did you take up Aikido to help your MMA in any way or for other reasons?

5. Revanchist

Revanchist Valued Member

I started training in Aikido because I heard positive things about it, and I figured it was worth a shot. However, I stopped because my schedule didn't fit with the training, but i'll start it back up again eventually.