The return of Windtalker

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by windtalker, May 24, 2008.

1. windtalker

windtalker Pleased to return to MAP

Hey everyone at MAP! Sorry that I've been gone for so long. Been very busy until recently. Hope to get back to reading/posting here on MAP now. Guess I should try explaining the reasons behind my absence?

First the boy crashed our computer big time! Seems he decided to turn off the internet security to get around parental controls. After he visited a fair number of adult sites the computer ended up with a number of different virus related troubles.

Second we visited the Cherokee Reservation down in North Carolina for a couple of weeks. The wife did her tourist routine and bought a lot of crafts while I tried learning more about the culture. It was a great trip and I did learn some new things about these great peoples.

Third I ended up taking JKD classes again. Although I liked the PTK classes the drive and expense of classes/fuel was too much. And I missed JKD a lot. Have also been doing a little Sayoc Kali on the side.

Really missed everyone here at MAP! Hope to be speaking with you soon.

2. nready

nready Verifying DMI pool....

Hey Windtalker

What exactly did you learn about the Cherokee people? You have peaked my interest. I mean you have me wondering what it could be.
    What is PTK? Pekiti Tirisa Kali?

Later,

-nready

Last edited: May 25, 2008
  3. windtalker

windtalker Pleased to return to MAP

Most anything related to Native American culture has always caught my intrest as well. Because many Cherokee peoples live in this (KY.) part of the country I have enjoyed the opprotunity to research various aspects of thier culture. Much can be learned form books about Native Americans of all peoples and I would not entirely dismiss utilizing that resource. Yet spending time with the Cherokee and learning from the source is far more enjoyable and might allow one to find out things which has not been published.

What I learned most recent pertained to some history about the Cherokee peoples here in KY. both present and past. That might sound a little boring yet I have some Cherokee in family (distant) and enjoy learning such things reguardless. The wife does a little research into making various crafts and some herbal remedies. My intrests also lie with learning about Native American outdoor skills (hunting, fishing, etc.) along with what little I have managed to pick up about thier weaponry.

For several years I tried obtaining some knowledge about Native American fighting skills. Authentic Native American fighting skills not that garbage sold on the web sites. Unfortunatly that effort has not been very sucessfull and I fear much of the knowledge has been lost. Although I have tried learning some material that MIGHT be similar to Native American methods it's sadly not the same.

The reference to PTK was indeed Pekiti Tirisa Kali. Although I enjoyed the classes the distance was too great and I fell back in with my JKD studies with the exception of Sayoc Kali which is taught close to home now.

Sorry if the post is a mess. The wife recently bought a %#%* puppy and it chews on everything in the house and constantly wants attention.

4. nready

nready Verifying DMI pool....

Hey windtalker,

The Cherokee there is mainly Eastern Cherokee, if I remember correctly. Yea, they had these games that mimicked fighting.

Games like a ball that had to be knocked over the top of a pole or bounced on a pole. The other team would have to keep the ball going the one that did not keep it going lost. There was another thing similar to throwing a long spear and the Indian of the Cherokee tribe would go and run as fast as they could catch it and throw it again, than another would catch it and go again and again. I believe these was the game of the Eastern Cherokee, might have been the Western Cherokee though.