The Rat Files

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Rataca100, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Indeed, it's hard to get non iron bru sometimes when In scotchland.

2. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

Im getting a flash back to that Monty Python sketch of people turning into scotsmen now. :p

Funnily enough on the topic of irn bru, someone brought 2 litre bottles of the extra and im going to fill up some 500ml bottles and drink it like that.

(so totally didnt forget it was Scottish...)

What is it you do again? (as in style)

edit: Now i really crave the irn bru icream. :mad:

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Pretty much everything. BJJ, Muay Thai, Jun Fan kickboxing, boxing, wrestling, Judo, MMA, kickboxing.....

axelb likes this.
  4. SCA

SCA Former Instructor

It can help with memory and cognitive function.

5. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

18/10/17
    Breakfast: Scrambled egg on toast.

Exercise:
    running on the spot
    Squats
    Okinawa rattle(?)
    stretching the arms.
    jumping jacks
    I figured out how to do the alternating foot running thing to some degree
    sideways jumping
    10 reps of squats with shoulder presses tagged on. 5kilo dumbells
    (most of the things counted in reps i try to do 8-12 of them)

The distance i do the running is 21 paces counted heel to toe for future refrence.

tea: I belive i am having battered chicken and curly fries. one of those days.

edit: I may substitute brekfast for Huel when its economcially sound to buy some.

Not going to lie, i completely forgot about doing forms and just remembered i could do them after i came inside.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  6. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I wouldn't bother substituting your breakfast. Scrambled eggs on wholegrain toast is about as good as a breakfast gets, so don't worry.

Keep up with the exercises, you're doing well. :)

Find stuff you enjoy and do them, but also experiment with new stuff. There are tons of variations on burpees, all of which are good. Look at lunges, and any of the squat variations in videos like this:

Even in a small space you can play with ladder drills like the ones below. You don't need the ladder, some tape on the carpet, some belts, bits of string, anything that marks out a "ladder" for you will work.

Most of all, have fun with your home training, we should enjoy this stuff :)

Mitch

axelb likes this.
  7. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

I need to try wholegrain toast again, last time i had it i didnt like it. :p

How well would kali sticks work if i stuck them in a triangle in front of my punching bag work for footwork do you think?

edit: I put those two videos on my youtube history for future refrence. :p

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
    Mitch likes this.
  8. Mitch

The sticks are fine as a marker, but if they are round you run the risk of standing on one, it rolling underneath your foot, and you injuring yourself.

I'd go with literally anything thin and flat. Belts, string, strips of paper, old headphone cables, coathangers, folded plastic bags, strips of cardboard, folded up food wrappers, could be anything and doesn't have to cost anything either.

As for the toast, try lots of different types of wholemeal bread and see what you like. They genuinely taste very different so experiment. I used to like a Coop wholemeal unsliced loaf, nice and crusty :) But try things for yourself. Remember that you can freeze bread, so if you find a wholemeal sliced that you like, buy a loaf then chuck it in the freezer. You can then use one/two slices at a time and just toast it a little longer. If you can find your favourite loaf reduced and do this, even better. That plus eggs is a great breakfast.

Do you make the scrambled eggs?

Mitch

9. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

I don't personally make them, but they are homemade. No idea whats in them its just egg, milk salt and pepper. I believe the only milk in the house are fully skimmed and semi skimmed and i have semi skimmed.

10. Mitch

The only reason I ask is because if you make them, you can make an omelette. And if you can make an omelette, you are well on the way to making a variety of tasty meals that will be incredibly good for you.

If you could learn how to make the scrambled eggs, you'd be at the start of eating a brilliant diet :)

Mitch

11. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Those TKD squats look great. Ladder drills as well. You'll make some great progress @Rataca100 with the advice from @Mitch !! :)

Mitch and Jaydub like this.
  12. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

20/10/2017

Breakfast: Bacon in a bagette.

exercise:
    Standard jumping jacks and running on the spot and wrest, forearm and arm streatches. (rotating them in a circle)
    Okinawa Rattle.
    Did 5 normal squats. (i do them with my fists by my jawline)
    6 squats with kicks. (counted it squat one kick, as one, so needed to do 6 to blaance the legsl)
    I did a few one two cobos on my punching bag
    did 4 reps of the TKD patterns.
    Two notes, i have joint pain in my right wrist and right ankle. My right calf also hurts more than my left one indicating bias to have my right leg stretched further in the stances.

Question on kicking: Is it better to kick with the ball of your foot or insole for spinning kicks? I kick with my foot stretched out with the intent of having the target hit the lower part of my calf/ankle joint. Kind of like a weird round house (?) mix. Thats opposing to what i get told to kick with the insole of the foot and hit with the foot. Bear in mind, home kicks are with trainers on as i do it outside. (Edit: I also dont think i can stretch my toes well enough to kick with the ball of my foot like that and dont want to jam one of my nails into something to break it or jam one of my toes etc. )

tea: Chips, Sasauge and beans.

13. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

are you wrapping your hands?

also do you cookfor yourself?

if the answer is no to either theni would suggest changing that. especially for the first question.

i would always suggest striking with the ball,heel or shin. You may be told otherwise in TKD and if you are then do it that way for them. personaly I know that if your are striking with any kind of actual power you are risking damage to your foot if you strike with any other contact area. Might explain the pain in your ankle.

SCA likes this.
  14. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

I dont, and i dont know how. I dont really want to fall into a pitfall of being too used to hitting with gloved hands when i would be fighting bare handed. (full sized boxing gloves are out for that reason, i consider it part of hand conditioning) The wrist pain i only just noticed when i was doing wrist warm up, i dont have it at all in the left hand, might have more to do with being on a computer usuing a mouse all day with my right hand.

Its "homemade". Meat fresh from a shop, chips made at home and beans from a can, i dont cook either.

Kicking: Thought so, i felt the force on my toes when doing that type of thing. Have to say, dont try doing those instep kicks on a punching bag, the ones that you aim for the groin or if the opponent is downed head/torso with.(your opinion on instep front/up kicking specifically?) But i have not done TKD in a week or so and usually hit the joint section of my foot when kicking like that more than the other places. Might again be sitting related, going to get a doctor to look at it anyway. (those kicks are defo out for home practice now, going to aim with the shin for spinning now on)

15. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Haha....learn how to make scrambled eggs. Eggs, milk, pinch of salt, pan, jig about = done. There...learnt.

SCA and Dead_pool like this.
  16. Dead_pool

I just put them In a pyrex jug, mix with fork, put in microwave for 2 minutes done. Add to bagels if there's time.

17. Dead_pool

1) no comment
    2) if you can/are allowed too, learn to cook
    3) don't do spinning kicks at home if you haven't learnt them enough yet to be not hurt yourself.

SCA and Knee Rider like this.
  18. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

If you are regularly hitting a heavy bag without protection and you are not using pefect form on every strike you are definitly going to hurt your hands. My advice would be to condition your hands in other ways and to wrap and glove up for bag work. hitting a bag is not like hitting a human being and you are going to damage either the wrists or the small bones of the hand or both for certain. You may damage your hand in a street fight but you may not, you may never even get into a fight. You certainly will damage your hand if you regularly hit the bag without any protection. Its your health, but I would rethink.

regarding kicking:frontkicking I do with the ball and the technical execution is morelik ea piston going out from the hip than rising up. I would football kick the groin with my shin but if the top of the foot connected it wouldnt be the end of the world. A toe punt in well constructed shoes would probably be ok tooespecially towards soft targets.

If possible you should learn to cook yourself as it will make maintaining a diet/eating cleanly so much easier and give you control and self determination.

SCA and Dead_pool like this.
  19. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

Do you have any recommendations for MMA gloves? Im not in with any good brands for the lightly padde dstyle of gloves. Do you also know of a good video for wrapping the hands? (i have some wraps which came with the heavy bag as a set somewhere)

20. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I hit my heavy bag for the first time in literally months last weekend. I had bag gloves on but no wraps. My hands ached for a couple of days after. Should have at least given myself a few sessions to get back into it again before going full bore and more than likely wrapped too.
    Although I do like to finish a bag session with bare knuckle just to keep myself honest and check my hand alignment.

SCA and axelb like this.