The problems with grappling and ground-fighting

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Isaiah90, Aug 13, 2019.

1. KevinFrancis

KevinFrancis New Member

2. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

The majority of street fights don’t involve people who know what they are doing and the scenarios are largely dictated by surprise, aggression etc

I think you have to ask yourself “As a martial artist what do I hope to achieve in a dangerous situation, and what skills do I need to do that?”

For me I think there’s a kind of hierarchy:
    1. Survive / escape
    2. Protect others in the situation
    3. Protect society more generally

And you could overlay other hierarchies to this such as:
    1. Untrained person
    2. Untrained people
    3. Trained person

Then weapons etc, etc

And ground fighting top and bottom plays a role in this

KevinFrancis and aaradia like this.
  3. icefield

icefield Valued Member

The whole 90% hits the ground came from stats from the police and of course since they are arresting people it will hit the ground.

It's saver to say a majority of fights hit the clinch in one way or another, and a fair few end up with one person or another on the ground.

So learning to clinch and defend the clinch and learning how to get up when someone is stood over you is very important probably more so than learning submissions or sweeps from a self defence point of view

4. KevinFrancis

KevinFrancis New Member

Well said and I agree, the clinch or what I refer to as trapping range is the range that you can utilize most of your tools, as in
    your hands, feet, elbows, knees, head, shoulder and hip.
    In the clinch there are 4 ways you end up in relation to your opponent.
    1. Both arms on the outside of your opponents arms.
    2. Both arms on the inside of your opponents arms.
    3. Left arm outside and right arm inside of your opponents arms.
    4. Left arm inside and right arm outside of your opponents arms.
    So when you get in one of these 4 cohesions, you can feel where you are at in relation to your opponent and the energy that
    your opponent is giving you or rather what they are trying to do to you.
    So when you train the clinch, you work off of these 4 relation points, counter for counter, I try to do something to you, you
    try to counter it, you do something to me, I try to counter it.
    I could get a lot more detailed about training in the clinch, but this is where you start from, these 4 relation points.

5. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Is that really true, police stats? I've tried to look this up in the past and was never able to find a good resource on this question. I just thought it was some nonsense spread around during the first UFCs between spectators...people started talking about fights differently and I heard a lot of "they all end on the ground!", ignoring of course the definite standing bonesmashing KOs that people were actually there to see (like me).

Totally agree on the clinching issue. Wrestling has dominated that for quite a long time. I never wrestled in school, none of my schools ever had a squad, but I so would have in a heartbeat. Boxing clinching in general is one of my favorite things to train, especially when I'm tired of getting hit. ;)