The Other Side of SILAT

Discussion in 'Silat' started by IndraMuda, Jan 19, 2006.

1. tim_stl

tim_stl Valued Member

a beginner in silat majalah, pak?

selamat datang di MAP. good to have you on the silat forum; i look forward to hearing more of your beginner opinion.

hormat,

tim

2. ICT

ICT Shaolin Malay Silat

Moridin,

It's a pose for a picture plain and simple! Thanks for trying to bash me and put down my Silat though.

To bad it didn't work!

Maybe I should have been more open to the Islam preaching, praised the Muslims for inventing the world and giving us Silat, then maybe you wouldn't have attacked me?

Sincerely,
    Teacher: Eddie Ivester

3. Moridin

Moridin New Member

OH BOY!

I visit MAP again after WEEKS.... and guess what? Eddy finally found the time to give me an answer.

Eddy, dear friend... i posted on the 19th of FEBRUARY. Where you busy or sick? Did you fall in love and marry a lovely lady? I had already given up on this question, really. But God and the internet work in mysterious ways. I couldn't sleep and came to MAP for some fun and knowledge.(true)

And you answered me TODAY of all days! Maybe i have some psychic talent i don't know about?

Look buddy, don't get angry with me. I asked you because i have practised Pencak Silat (SH) and your photo reminds me of a Pasang. Read my post and you get a little bit of a picture of that Pasang.

Not to ridicule you, i don't know what style you do? Sorry, i just had to ask, i am a curious person. Silat is so many many styles, HOW could i make you look stupid when i don't know what ur doing? Maybe i should have asked my question different.

Sorry, but i honestly am concerned about your groin being open. About the vision your first hand blocks. Yeah, yeah, i know a Pasang is not what you do in an actual fight. But in my style the Pasangs were the "key" to a set of techniques that fall under that Pasang. So i was thinking, bad habits can grow into problems...

I am not a muslim. I don't belong to the Silat=muslim school. I have no idea why you think i am muslim. I love bacon. I adore wine. Did i say anything religious at all? Maybe i am just a mean old Buddhist. Or a grumpy Christian. Who cares? I'm not talking religion here. I'm talking about your groin being open! :)

Sorry mate, no disrespect. I am still curious about your pose. Sorry if i offended you! But i do feel a bit insulted that you took more than a month to react. I could have been run over by a car in the mean time!

PS Just a pose for a picture? Why did you choose that pose? Humans do things for reasons. I choose certain shoes for reasons. I choose a certain song for a reason. I am a curious man. Please talk to me, i am simply curious.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2006
  4. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

I think you're looking at this too deeply moridin, eddie has responded "it's just a pose" - lets just leave it at that before any more insults are traded, and I have to release the twins :woo:

:D

5. Orang Jawa

Orang Jawa The Padi Tribe-Guardian

Hoooah! Sarge! :D
    Last time I look on my DD214, I was an E-5, a buck sergeant! ;)
    Tristan

6. Moridin

Moridin New Member

No.

I am curious. And if he don't wanna say he can say so. I am interested. I am curious and i am asking. That is one of the things forums are for, no?

I mean is it so strange that i would like to know what style it is? How many photos of Silat poses do we see on this forum anyway?

PS Release the twins, and i'll release the problem child. :D

7. Gajah Silat

Gajah Silat Ayo berantam!

Mate, you do seem to be baiting from my perspective. A little less bluntness might ease things along :eek:

As I said previously, we have something similar in transition. Not an actual position as such, but..... :rolleyes:

It's not a prerequisite of all silat styles to have one hand in front of your nuts 100% of the time :bang:

May I ask your style, as you seem to have a blank profile?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2006
  8. Steve Perry

Steve Perry Valued Member

Picture

Certainly you can ask about styles, no problem there.

As a couple folks said, you can't tell much from a still picture. Could be that that opening you see was left there to draw an attack from somebody who thinks he'll have a free shot but maybe could get a surprise when he tries.
    Certainly that's common in the silat I've seen. (Mine is Sera, by the way.)

You can cover high line and low line without having your hands in finaly position until you need them there.

9. Moridin

Moridin New Member

I practised Setia Hati in the nineties. The very 1st Pasang* i was thought had one hand covering your groin, the other covering chest/face with the elbow sticking out. The most important thing was the legs though. The distribution of balance and the advantage that could give for evasion and throws.

Of course there were more than 1 Pasang so not every Pasang had a hand protecting your jewels. But the teacher always emphasized protecting your jewels often. For example, he made us cover our own groin when (straight)kicking others. I think it's common in Silat to worry about your weak spots.

Anyway Eddie's pose just looked slightly familiar. But i can not know what style it is, or what pasang, what the "idea" is. Never mind.

*A Pasang is only for training and learning techniques that use that motion/position. Each Pasang has it's own purposes, and can be regarded as a step on a ladder. A neutral stance is always used in real fights because one can not know how one will be attacked. And because you don't want to hint the enemy that you "know" something.

10. Steve Perry

Steve Perry Valued Member

What You Know

I think it's common in any fighting art to worry about your weak spots. It's easy to look at photograph and find fault with the position, especially if, as you point out, you don't know the purpose.

Is the guy leaving his groin open because he's an idiot? Or because he wants you to throw a shot at it and has plans if you do?

If you assume he's an idiot, you might get yourself in trouble if he isn't.

In a self-defense situation where somebody attacks you, it probably isn't a bad idea to allow him to think you don't know much, for the element of surprise on your part. But in our style, we assume that a potential attacker knows as much as we do, that he's armed, and that there are more than one of him. If you can deal with that, then anything less is a walk in the park. If you assume he's untrained, unarmed, and alone, and he isn't any of those things? That could get you killed.

Past the initial rush of an attack, if it doesn't end things, with players all alert and prepared, it becomes a different game. It's one thing to sucker-punch somebody who isn't expecting it; it's another thing to go against somebody who is trained and watching you.

It all depends on the situation. If you drop by our silat class and announce that you are going to kick my rear end, probably I won't fool you with a neutral stance ...

We believe that position and timing are of vital importance, more so than speed or power. A big part of these involve drawing the attack when and where we want it -- done properly, this gives control of the distance and puts us ahead of the game.

If a target seems easy, it might be. It might also be a trap and you need to be prepared to deal with both.

In our view, of course. Your mileage may vary ...

11. Orang Jawa

Orang Jawa The Padi Tribe-Guardian

Brother Steve said:If a target seems easy, it might be. It might also be a trap and you need to be prepared to deal with both.
    That is a word of wise, if I may say....
    Is too good to be true means its true.
    This is the part that a very similar between Stevan's Sera and my old magazines, redirect in the incoming strike and control the next would be strike or give the attacker's opportunity to strike at the place that we control/an opening. If you do it right, the attacker will not have a choice but to attack in the area that we left open
    And I could be wrong too,
    Tristan

12. tellner

tellner Valued Member

Or, you don't have to be nearly so fast if you have a good idea of what he is going to do. The best way to do that is to "tell" him.

"Come into my garden said the spider to the fly." :)

13. Gajah Silat

Yes guys I agree. I think to assume that any opponent has got his (or her ;) ) fighting position 'a bit wrong' could be a dangerous assumption. After all not all fighters cover their balls anyway.

Lets face it, a decent boxer could take out many a trained MAist and they practically hand you their yarbles on a silver platter :)

Oh and Tellner, you're quoting one of my distant relatives there :) Little bit of my own 'pusaka'!!

However, the exact line is this....

"Will you walk into my parlour? said the spider to the fly"

And for Moridin it aptly continues...

"So he wove a subtle web, in a little corner sly,
    And set his table ready, to dine upon the Fly."

by Mary Howitt 1799-1888.

14. Moridin

Moridin New Member

I did not assume anything about anyone. I am (still!) just a curious man.

And i am (still!) only asking for some kind of answer/reply about that photo.

To anyone else; thank you for your comments. I have no need for anybody to teach me about spiders and flies. I was thought ages ago about that. As i explained, i only thought the pose looked "familiar" and on impulse i thought maybe, he's doing something related to what i did. Nothing more.

So i am not talking about the pose, that was a hasty mistake. I just wanna know what style he practises. Maybe i will get an answer next month.

Or never.

15. Gajah Silat

Hey Mate, my great great Aunt really did write the poem!

OK. Let's assume someone has attacked with a left.
    Step to your right. Parry opponents left with right hand.
    Hook opps left arm with your left, bringing left hand to side of your head(don't cover your ear).
    Punch to jaw with your right over the locked arm & clamp your hand onto windpipe.
    Your can now grasp your own right arm with your left hand...

You've now got the attacker in a good Kunci :) Their left arm trapped & your hand gripping their throat. They are almost falling over backwards of their own accord.

Step back with right leg & turn. Opponent breakfalls with their head on ground :eek: .

Does that make any sense at all? Very difficult to put down in plain English with no pictures!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2006
  16. tellner

tellner Valued Member

Elephant, that's very kewl. My most illustrious relative was a Transylvanian horsethief.

17. Gajah Silat

No relation to nosferatu then? :)

Only found out my poetic heritage when my uncle researched the family tree. Full of rogues it is :)

does the explanation make any sense?

Edit. Hey guys. I've now got a vision of you all sat in fron for your computers with your elbows pointing at the screen and punching & grabbing in the air. Well, that's what I'm doing anyway, er....hang on....did I explain that right??? :confused: :D

Last edited: Mar 27, 2006
  18. tellner

tellner Valued Member

I think he was more interested in selling the horses in Hungary than in using them as drinking fountains. It would have been bad for business to waste expensive animals ;)