The Other Side of SILAT

Discussion in 'Silat' started by IndraMuda, Jan 19, 2006.

1. CQC

CQC Arsenal Gear's A.I

What makes Silat varies from one silat style to another silat style is that it depends on what influences the spiritual approach in every Silat styles.Most of the Silat styles that are now deeply rooted in Islam or Christianity might once were deeply rooted in Hinduism or Buddhism.Some might still retain that influence regardless of time and era.

And yes, you can learn all the techniques alone while leaving the spiritual behind.Sure, no problem. Only that you will only get the techniques alone.Like in Malay said "sekadar dapat sahaja".

Look that when I said "spiritual" its not about the ability to do hazardous acts without injured, all that stuff.No.But it's more on personal behaviour, human thought.

2. asli

asli New Member

waalaikumussalam..
    pls, don't call me brother..i wouldn't even know if i am even qualifies to be ur murid..im the one that should greet u cikgu.. :D
    im still a greenie :Alien:
    i dare not check cikgu IBA on the path..yes, maybe i'll put some opinions of mine..u r much on a higher level than me, how could i check the path? even im still searching mine.
    maybe for some of the matters upbrought, i'll try to refer them to those who r masters on their fields, insyaAllah,then i'll guess the truth is nearer..and those masters normally r still traditionalist..some showed up, some remain quiet..and im glad i've seen a few on this site..
    i guess every answer defines every person..
    ..ignorance is denial..
    glad silat expanded to the whole world..thus some remain true, some not..and normally, the originalist will tend to disagree with the not..
    the question is, who is "willing" to listen? who's willing to accept and who's willing to agree the disagree?

now what is silat??
    the true meaning of it?

now there's even gayong? what's gayong? is gayong in silat or silat in gayong? and i dont mean gayong as gayong malaysia or anything(sorry, no offence gayong guys :eek: ) but simply as "gayong"..
    ever heard the terms "ibu gayong"?

and no, im not one the gayong malaysia guys :D

to moridin, nobody suggested that silat is from malaysia..it's the Malay heritage..and malay are found most in indonesia,malaysia,brunei,southern philiphines,singapore,and southern thailand, some even in ancient times,covered until the kingdom of langkasuka..hence, silat could have developed from anywhere from these places..no one could claim it came from indonesia, or malaysia, or brunei and so on, because it come from the malay people.

and for muslim, all are from Allah..

hope this post'll help achieve another level of understanding of how (some)muslim malays view silat..

salam

3. IndraMuda

IndraMuda Valued Member

Bismil-laahir-Rahmaanir-Rahim
    In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful

TITLE: THE MANIFESTATION KNOWLEDGE OF TRUTH!

As promised, hereunder is the "meaning" and "origin" of the word SILAT:

Brief:

To realize its origin, one must have the knowledge how we are brought to life. For this, I will make it very simple and brief as possible as not to lead to confusion. The subject matter is very complex.:

The revelation of the word could be seen in sequence in the following order:

a- Pre Life
    b- Alive
    c- Livng

PRE LIFE

S-unnah Allah

The Command of Allah (Lord of the ‘Alamin: Mankind, Jinn and all that exists) is termed as Sunnah Allah. In short, He commanded all Angels to be present and to prostrate before Adam upon bringing him to life. Iblis and some of his followers refusal gave birth to the enmity between Man and Iblis. (Here is the original concept of “Self Defense” gave birth)

I-badah

The act of fulfilling Sunnah Allah is known as Ibadah. Therefore upon bringing Adam to life, all presents obeyed as commanded and prostrated obediently except Iblis and his followers of course.

ALIVE

A-kidah

In short Akidah means believes. The first to witness Allah is Ruh. Before being breathed into the body of Adam.

T-akwa

When his Ruh reached his eyes, Adam opened them, and Allah showed him the Divine Throne. He looked upon the Throne and below it he saw two lines of writing: The first line read La ilaha ill ‘Allah, Muhammad-ur-Rasul-ullah upon. The second line read: The servant is sinful and the Lord is forgiving

[ A + T ]

LIVING

L-aku

The first and the final letter in silat is Laku. It mean broadly as Moral and Conduct.

The first test: The Lord said to Adam: “I have created you in the the best of all possible form, and I have made you the Breath of Life. I have set you above the angels and made them bow down before you, and whom did not bow I have cursed for your sake., Then I have made for you your companion and mate, Eve, and for you both I have prepared Jannah 2000 years before you were created. Now I ask of you only that you do not go near that tree which I have forbidden you. I f you disobey and eat the fruit of that tree, I shall expel you from paradise and punish you with fire.” Adam said:”O Lord, I (have heard and I will obey.” In short he did not.

SUMMARY:

Only: [S+I] + [A+T] = L-aku ( Moral & Conduct)
    It needs 2 Ma’rifah to manifest the 3rd.

[S+I] > [L] < [A+T]

ISLAM = RUKUN ISLAM [S+I] + RUKUN IMAN [A+T] = PROPHET MUHAMMAD SAW [L]

BIS-MIL-LAH, AL-LAH-HU AKH-BAR!

TQ

Hamba Allah
    Haji Idris bin Alimuda
    (IndraMuda/IBA)
    18 Feb 2006.
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Last edited: Feb 17, 2006
  4. Narrue

Narrue Valued Member

If that is what Silat means then what does Silek mean and which term is older?

5. IndraMuda

IndraMuda Valued Member

I Have To Defense My Religion And Heritage!

TO MUSLIM AND MALAY PESILAT & GURU GURU SILAT

I AM VERY SORRY. I HAVE TO DEFENSE MY RELIGION AND MALAY HERITAGE AND UPHOLD ITS PURITIES. "MENYUSUN SEPULUH JARI MOHON AMPUN DAN MAAF!

An-Nahl [The Bees] 16:125

“Invite (mankind O Muhammad SAW) to the way of your Lord (i.e Islam) with wisdom (i.e with the Divine Revelation and the Qur’an) and fair preaching, and argue with them in a way that is better. Truly your Lord Knows best who has gone astray from His path, and He is the Best Knower of those who are guided”

“Serulah (manusia) kepada Tuhanmu dengan hikmah dan pelajaran yang baik, dan bantahlah mereka dengan jalan yang baik”

Hamba Allah

Haji Idris bin Alimuda
    (IndraMuda/IBA)
    18 Feb 2006.
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

6. Narrue

Narrue Valued Member

IndraMudra

I think its time to answer these questions first and then talk about your Muslim heritage after!

Tell me is SILAT a “Muslim Martial art” invented by Muslims. are its roots in Islam?
    I already know the answer,just want to see if you have the dignity to answer it truthfully!

7. ICT

ICT Shaolin Malay Silat

IndraMuda,

I think you are confusing Salat with Silat?

The word Silat is not part of Islam and you can not take letters and arrange them to mean something in Islam as your basis. I could do the exact same thing with Silat and any other religion.

Silat has nothing to do with Islam, period! It is a name for a fighting art and it is/was/will be known by other names. Is Silek or Penca or Menpo Islam, NO just other names for the same fighting art?

Sincerely,
    Teacher: Eddie Ivester

8. IndraMuda

IndraMuda Valued Member

Hi Narrue, ICT and Others,

My answer to your questions is very simple:

• SILAT has never being termed as Martial Arts. How could it be in the first place? It is an abbreviation or short form for: Sunah Allah, Ibadah, Laku, Akidah and Takwa. Is there any “martial arts” techniques in that? Hence, the criterion is very simple: Rukun Islam and Rukun Iman. And the religion is Islam.

• What it means by Inner or Self Defense is by no way it carry a meaning of “Internal or Spiritual Martial Arts practices” In Islam it mean “IMAN” or FAITH or “TAUHID”. Iman acts as a FORTRESS / DEFENSE for SELF or HEART or Intelligent Self from the Satanic Influence (Enmity between Self / Man and Iblis AS DISCUSSED EARLIER)

• On the other hand IMAN can be INNER STRENGTH. towards outward manifestation:

o a) High human quality and personalities in their day to day moral and conduct in their human relations ensuring healthy living and actas a deterrence to social evils

o b) IMAN also reflects PURITY of the SELF as a pre qualification for assistance (Rahmat eg Protection etc) from Allah SWT. Therefore in external physical defense has nothing to do with “martial arts techniques”.

Having said that, there is a highly secret “knowledge” that must be taught by GURU SILAT to amplify certain inner aspect, subject to Allah’s Iradah of course, in which I could not share it with you. In short, there is a lot of secrets in the Qur’an. Remember it is Allah’s “Manual”!

• In conclusion, I am not interested to get entangle into other aspects of Martial arts. I have done my part to share with all of you a long speculated source of the word silat as my understanding as truly practiced by the Malays. My concern is my personal obligations to Sunnah Allah and it doesn’t bother me about other things. Guess all of you can continue disputing an endless intellectual ego. I gain nothing from it. I am happy with my progress and for the last 40 years not even member of my family knows anything about it. I have to expose to all of you because nobody seemed to dare enough to defense their own religion and culture publicly. Therefore before I depart myself to Allah’s call, I felt, I need to do a world wide deed to at least register its true source for the future generations.

Hope, you are happy with my answer. I am old enough to be dragged into unnecessary and unproductive discussions. Whether anybody appreciate my sharing of knowledge, I leave it to all of you to be the judge. Your verdict is of no interest of mine.

I MAY BE RIGHTAND MAY BE WRONG BUT NOT CONFUSED!

TQ All.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2006
  9. tellner

tellner Valued Member

IndraMudra,

You may be right, but I strongly doubt it. Silat, like the older Minang word "Silek", has always been martial arts. Full stop. Your bizarre and convoluted attempts to cryptographically and pseudo-mathematically equate it with Islam and in particular your version of Islam are at best delusional and at worst consciously dishonest. They're on a par with the Brookly rabbi who claims to predict baseball scores from numerological analysis of the verses of the Torah.

Balinese Hindus do Silat. Celebes Animists do Silat. Dayak Christians do Silat. It's just as real or legitimate as that done by Wahabist Muslims, moreso actually. If you can't accept the simple facts how in the world can we take anything you say seriously?

10. IndraMuda

IndraMuda Valued Member

Hi Tellner,

Guess you have got me wrong, It is by no mean based on any mathematical formulai or etc. They are used as a shorthand. There are Al-Qur'an, Hadith and Sunnah underlying it.

Having said that, you are free to accept it or not or even ignore it totally. All the best to you! Believed in what ever your feel right. I will be very happy for you,

TQ

11. Narrue

Narrue Valued Member

Saying SILAT is a “Muslim martial art” is like saying Stonehenge was built by Christians.

12. Abdullah1881

Abdullah1881 New Member

Silat Melayu

hi to all,

Funny thing isnt it, everyone wants do discuss Silat's deeper aspects. Yet everyone only wants to hear the answer that suits them.

As ive noticed over the years on all these various forums, (im sure some of you remember one of the early ones Pendekar.com) it mostly seems to be westerners posting. I wonder how come most Malay Pesilat never get involved or write? maybe their english isnt very good, although i dont think thats the reason.

Everyone is claiming to have a deep understanding yet no one seems to be able read beyond the words or look beyond the form.

I wonder if any of u have really stopped for a minute to try and understand what is Indramuda's message? I have met other old gurus who have this knowlege, and frankly if all this is unheard of to you its because they would never reveal it to non muslims or non malays. this is not one man's fabrication this is the secret of the malays.

Sorry to say but most of you are blind, straight away jumping and asking "Ok what about SILEK or PENCAK?"

If any of u just stopped for a while and tried to feel and understand what this secret is, u would understand why silek is called silek, pencak is called pencak, why the malays always use seni, why they use lanka tiga, lanka empat etc etc. U would realise the secret of the LAM ALIF that all the malays talk about and why they always display it. ITS ALL INFRONT OF UR EYES!!!

No point jumping and asking me in retaliation, im not as open and generous as our brother Indramuda, my secret is my secret. Most people who have learned this knowledge are probably astounded someone is even daring to write it.

it is clear to me that Indramuda is not propogating Islam nor teaching religion, but is just being kind enough to show you what the old generation of Malay Pendekar used to practise. Which sad enough to say will soon mostly dissapear altogether.

Everyone these days is really interested about the Wali Songo topic. this is the kind of knowledge they taught. they didnt teach people to move like tigers or snakes. Allah Swt doesnt send his saints for such things, they were Pious people, all they cared about was Allah and his beloved Prophet saw and how to teach people iman and taqwa.

look beyond the forms of the words, indramuda is giving so much yet no one is looking past their nose. he is speaking from his heart yet everyone is stuck and jumps at the first arabic word.

I thank IndraMuda for sharing his knowledge with us, many of us are reading with much enthusiasm.

I dont mean to offend or disrespect or belittle anyone on this forum. i do respect ur views and enjoy reading ur posts. im just speaking from my heart.

with love and respect,

Abdullah.

13. Wali

Wali Valued Member

And the odd sprinkle of delusion. Tell me, did prophet Mohammed practice silat? Is it mentioned in the Quran? Did his followers do lankha, jurus, etc...?

Why cannot you accept that perhaps the silat YOU have been exposed to has has a heavy influence of Islamic principles over the years. This is easy to believe. You must also accept that other styles haven't had this influence, and have gone a different way.

By painting all silat with the same brush, not only do you alieanate yourself, but to be honest, make yourself look slighty ridiculous.

Silat was, and still is, primarily a fighting art. Battlefiel survival was at it's root, and the spiritual elements added differently as things changed. It seems you have a deep level of indoctrination, and are applying it to silat.

This is the last I will say in this matter, and refrain from participating is such threads from now on.

14. IndraMuda

IndraMuda Valued Member

Hi Wali, Abdullah1881 and Others,

Brother Abdullah1881 TQ for your open support. I am very sure you are benefitting and learning from the posting. I am very sure to that the knowledege have reached your HEART and, soon, it will permiates into your blood sytem as a KNOWLEDGE which money can't ever BUY!

I dont blame them for not being able to understand it. Even a "wild bird", when it is too long living in a cage, it has forgotten how to fly and lost all the inner and outer senses that it used to communicate with various signs or elements in the nature of environment. Its natural bonding with nature has been disconnected.

Wali, Jihad is not 100% physical battle or war. The muslims and malays fully understood what jihad means. Intentions manifest actions! ILMU KEBATINAN is not all about pukulan gayung, kebal, handal, bomoh, mandi minyak, handling keris etc. Do you understand what it means by "it needs 2 ma'rifah to manifest the 3rd". What i am sharring with you and the others is only "one out of three triangles". Just to let you understand better, a true pesilat can even identify on paper how the whole cosmos finally fold to one small dot ie the beginning and ending. IS THAT KNOWLEDGE NOT SILAT AND JIHAD?

LAW OF NATURE OR "fitrah" HAS DETERMINED THAT IT IS IMPOSSIBLE FOR A MAN TO BE AT TWO PLACES AT ONE TIME. BUT ALLAH SWT CAN PROVIDES A WAVER TO HIS SERVANT WHO ALWAYS ZIKIR AND LOVE HIM. ONLY HIM COULD.

DO YOU UNDERSTAND THE FIRST RULE THAT YOU MUST COMMIT IF YOU WANT TO LEARN TRUE SILAT = IMAN > JIHAD > HIJRAH. SO, IF YOU HAVE NOT PASSED THROUGH THOSE PATH YOU WILL NEVER CHANGE!

Wali, do you realize there is a hidden dot in every triangle? If you realize how doyou seeit?

TQ.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2006
  15. asli

asli New Member

assalamuaikum..
    yang dihormati IBA,
    thank you for ur willingness to share those secrets..i guess a secret will always remain a secret..those who does not want to understand, will never understand.may Allah grant u health and happiness..

to abdullah
    i couldn't have agree more with u..it's a sad fact, but it's a fact..and i expect some denial to come out from this statement from some people..

for most people, silat is just another self defence/martial art..without even knowing what silat truly means..
    nevermind..

16. IndraMuda

IndraMuda Valued Member

Assalaamualaikum Brother asli,

As a Muslim, we are brothers! Knowledge belong to Allah, not mine. Knowledge is just rain falling to earth. It will never finish. So dont be scaredof sharing knowledge. Learn this: Listen, Think, Understand, Practice and teach or share! Insya'Allah every one Ma'rifah Allah will repayswith 10 ma'rifah!

For those who understands the meaning of SILAT as outline by me above be resassured that learning true silat will lead you to High Quality Moral Conduct and LOVE. Trust Allah. If you haveany doubts, please take it to any "WALI" insy'Allah they will affirm it, insya'Allah. To the best of my knowledge, nobody so far either through my reading or unofficial discussions really knows about it. I am sure there are outside! I learned from "Prophet" Khidir story!

The nearest I came close to that is by Silat Abjad "Al-Sil-Silati"

Insya'Allah if Allah grace, we will meet! Areyou from Kuala Lumpur?

17. IndraMuda

IndraMuda Valued Member

Assalaamualaikum Brother asli,

As a Muslim, we are brothers! Knowledge belong to Allah, not mine. Knowledge is just rain falling to earth. It will never finish. So dont be scaredof sharing knowledge. Learn this: Listen, Think, Understand, Practice and teach or share! Insya'Allah every one Ma'rifah Allah will repayswith 10 ma'rifah!

For those who understands the meaning of SILAT as outline by me above be resassured that learning true silat will lead you to High Quality Moral Conduct and LOVE. Trust Allah. If you haveany doubts, please take it to any "WALI" insy'Allah they will affirm it, insya'Allah. To the best of my knowledge, nobody so far either through my reading or unofficial discussions really knows about it. I am sure there are outside! I learned from "Prophet" Khidir story!

The nearest I came close to that is by Silat Abjad "Al-Sil-Silati". Perhaps if care to check and connect Al-sil-Silati to Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) because he used to wrestle. Connect it to my definition it will flow in. That will complete the definition. Too bad Silat Abjad stop at Prophet SAW. Perhaps the spirit is there and now revealed!

Insya'Allah if Allah grace, we will meet! Are you from Kuala Lumpur?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2006
  18. asli

asli New Member

waalaikumussalam wrb,
    salam to all :D
    yang dihormati IBA,
    of course we are brothers, but i was also taught to hormat the elders, and the more knowledgeable people(org yg berilmu), so if u dont mind, can i call u cikgu?or pakcik? :D it's not proper for me to left behind the adab.

masyaAllah, the prospect of meeting u excite me!! if we ever should meet, i hope cikgu/pakcik IBA wouldn't mind sharing/teaching me some of ur knowledge..no, i'm not in kuala lumpur..im at malacca, working..and for those who wanna visit malacca, pls come..it's a beautiful state..the land of Hang Tuah the legendary malay warrior..also near mount ledang.. :)
    insyaAllah(god willing)..i thank u from the bottom of my heart for this priceless advice..

19. tauhid_87

tauhid_87 Valued Member

To IndraMuda!!!!

Interesting, Very Interesting..... I like how you explain it, it very clear, clear as a water. :)

Its very difficult to explain to them the true meaning or secret of silat, they will only hear you if your silat is effective, deadly & useful ( I meant the physical parts). I been practicing martial art for many years now, its really deadly I meant silat. I dont meant any disrespect to ALL OF YOU SILATER there. I am happy that you are practicing the most beautiful and deadly martial arts in the world. :rolleyes:

What I am trying to tell Indramuda is , they will not understand you if you cannot let them see, hear, smell, taste & feel your silat. They will never understand TAUHID (Union, unity, unite) my friend.They have to feel it, not in words or writing, you have to show them.......... What is you martial arts not just silat, ALL YOU MARTIAL ARTS combined in ONE. I Hope i got it rights Indramuda.

Salaam,
    Tauhid.

20. Wali

Wali Valued Member

There is a misconception that Westerners are God-hating infidels, who only see the physical side of anything, and little or no spirituality or Godliness.

As westereners, we DO understand what IndraMuda is saying, but may not AGREE. His assumptions are based on Islamic principles, which are then portrayed as THE ONLY WAY. While this may be the way for HIM, it doesn't invalidate other ways, or make them incorrect.

As non-muslims, how do you expect us to accept that the only way to really understand silat is via the Quran, Hadiths, etc...?

It would be interesting to see how he would react if faced with an assailant intent of killing him. Would he postrate and pray, or grab the nearest weapon and try and defend himself with it? (not him specifically, but anyone)

I should really stop getting sucked back into this thread! :bang: