The One Point • Gravity •

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by fusedroot, Aug 27, 2007.

1. fusedroot

fusedroot New Member

The one point, 'tantien' or 'Hara' is our center of gravity. This singular point is the source of where all energy derives :•:
    A constant stream that has to flow forth
    before the muddy waters set in.
    Form and Technique come there after.
    I have seen little mention on this crucial aspect to getting the chi flowing.

Please chat on this thread about "the flow of chi"

Let the Chuans Flow :rolleyes:

Lite
    jlzº

Last edited: Aug 27, 2007
  2. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Says who?

The Bear.

3. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Gravity... it's not just a good idea... it's the law. :D

4. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

I was meaning the singlar point thing and anyway if you had no legs and centre of gravity could be higher.

The Bear.

5. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

Or, if you had a very big head (hey, read into this what you will), it would be lower.

What about if you were wearing a very big hat in a fight and it was knocked off....the centre of gravity would change mid way through and you wouldnt have an abstract concept with little real world relevance to stand on.

6. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

the "no legs argument" is particularly helpfull :D

Last edited: Aug 27, 2007
  7. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Your zen like calm would be shattered and all chi would cease to flow.

The Bear.

8. fusedroot

fusedroot New Member

This singular point is.... the place

Keeping one's Center is a basic "LAW" and part of Theater school. Actors, Opera singers.. It sifts out the talent every-time.

I would not go as far to say an Opera Singer focuses their One Point at every move. However, they do sing from their "center" Harnessing their Power.

≈maybe the masters are always singing inside ≈

ΩLite
    Jlz :Alien:
    Yes,Gravity ∆

9. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Any perceived gravity centre would move in accordance with body movement ie weight change/kicking/squatting.

Issuing power centre is another thing entirely.......... :Alien:

10. fusedroot

fusedroot New Member

:Angel: I like your notion. You may have put me right ;)

I can say The point I'm Driving home here is Issuing your Power Center.

thanz

11. Thelistmaker

Thelistmaker bats!

:confused: What is a power center?

12. fusedroot

fusedroot New Member

Butterflys

The most obvious and significant feeling of a power center is located in the 'solar-plexus' This, in love or war feels like "Butterflys"

Training to keep your "energy" below the navel is crucial to inner focus and control of your situation and environment.

;)
    Ω jlz

13. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Then there is the pivot centre.......I am currently having fun exploring this with the newbies :D

14. Thelistmaker

Thelistmaker bats!

:eek: I'm sory I still don't understand, what do you mean by keeping your energy below your waist? Do you mean like keeping your weight sunk or keeping aware of your center of gravity?
    So it's like a point around which stuff rotates?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2007
  15. NZ Ninja

NZ Ninja Live wire.

A strong house falls with ease upon weak foundations. :D

16. turborage

turborage New Member

Isn't the hindu center the third eye, and the bhuddist center the heart area? The dantian (hara?) is the toaist center, right?

Ah, to be one with the situation and the environment, one must focus on the current situation and the current surroundings... Wait, that's zen isn't it. :rolleyes:

17. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

The term and sensation is "butterflies in the stomach", not the solar plexus,which is just below the sternum.

While certain dynamics may allow you to issue from the s.p. area,I wouldn't consider it as significant an area as the upper/middle back, except maybe in old Wu/Hao style.

What does "let the chuans flow" mean? Let the fists fly?

(Turb,all three use 3rd eye,solar plexus, and below naval areas,roughly speaking).

Last edited: Aug 28, 2007
  18. onyomi

onyomi 差不多先生

The dantian doesn't always correspond exactly to the center of gravity, since it can move and since even if you had a massive upper body and tiny lower body (a higher center of gravity than most), the dantian would still be located at the same area below the navel.

19. Thelistmaker

Thelistmaker bats!

:eek: really, so what is the dantien then? I alwqys thought it was the center or gravity.

20. turborage

turborage New Member

It's the spot about 3 fingers below the navel.