the nose!!!

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by craig jamieson, Mar 24, 2004.

1. craig jamieson

craig jamieson New Member

Hey, just started sparring for the first time last night, was great by the way. i was wondering though, does everyone who competes or even spars say twice a week, begin to get that weird flat boxers nose thing going on? :eek:
    Because as much as i love the sparring, im not liking the nose thing. i know its seen as a badge of honour thing by some, and dont want to come across like a big poof, i was just wondering if it happens to everyone, any ways of preventing it (other than a good guard ;) )

Cheers guys

Craig

2. pug32

pug32 Valued Member

Only if you get hit :D

The flat nose only happens if it gets broken

3. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I'm just ugly so dont make a difference. hehehe (why i laugh? aww..:cry:)

Ur bound to get hit no matter how much u practice ur guard. I spar 2 times a week for about an hour or so at a time. After a while u just get used to it.
    Keep your chin tucked in, try to keep ur fists close to ur temples, so ur forearms are protecting ur face and u can still see. Elbows tucked in to protect ribcage, be careful not to do something we call 'chicken wing'. Where u hold ur elbows in the air making u look like a chicken. Keep moving..after a few more sessions u'll get the hang of it.

4. redbull

redbull New Member

hei i got the same problem just started boxing but i dont want a flat nose so i think im going to buy one of those head gear with a face mask, but i dont know how the other people in the gym are going to take, they'll probably think im a wuzz or something.

5. C-Fugazi

C-Fugazi New Member

How long have you been attending a boxing gym?

There are many ways to avoid being hit on the nose.The best one is to take part in some 'Directed sparring'.These techniques would include:

-Slipping and Sliding
    -Ducking and Weaving.
    -Parrying and Catching
    -Half step backs and Pivoting.
    -Shoulder Blocking

I wouldnt let any of my lads take part in sparring without having a good working knowledge of these basic fundamentals.

You really need to try one and two step sparring drills and then move onto directed sparring.You will see a huge difference if you tone down a full sparring session and work on these drills for at least (2) hours a week.

6. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Nah dont worry about it. Your just concerned with safety like anyone else. Just be careful about those headgear with face masks tho.
    I tried wearing those ones and it felt really distracting, also encouraged others to hit harder. Was like wearing a motorcycle helmet.

Yes, basic fundamentals does help a lot but its always good to take a few hits just to get used to it. I have ducked right into an uppercut, wasnt nice. Tho thankfully it hit side of my face and i blocked quite a bit of it anyway, so it hurt but not as bad if it was on nose, eye or forehead. :p

7. Guy Mendiola

Guy Mendiola New Member

Rely also on keeping your hands up when sparring and when throwing a punch make the punch snap right back to your guard which makes this faster.

8. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

My dog would still love me if I had a flat nose...It only happens if it gets broken and isn't allowed to heal properly.

9. Adam

Adam New Member

I don't think I ever met a long time boxer who didn't have a nose like something out of a nightmare. Strangely enough, it doesn't seem to be quite as common in kickboxing and MT circles as in boxing. Does ANYONE know anybody who boxed for a long time and still has an intact nose?

10. semphoon

semphoon walk idiot, walk.

Nope.

I agree about it being a badge of honour thing; shows that you have had to pay the price to partake in the sport you love.

11. C-Fugazi

C-Fugazi New Member

Its the ones without squashed noses you have to watch out for.
    I havent seen many flat noses although Teddy Atlas has got a peach of a conk.