The Next Mayweather?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by slipthejab, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

What a letdown. I called out Guerrero as being one of the few people today who could Mayweather some trouble (Trout and [Sergio] Martinez being the other two).

Mayweather had a slow start (I guess he usually does) and I was actually surprised at how Guerrero was almost bullying him around for two rounds. But Floyd died and re-awoke as Neo in between the 2nd and 3rd round and figured Guerrero out, top to bottom, inside and out. You could easily see the frustration on his face and his corner didn't really do a damn thing to help him. Floyd was just too fast, too precise, too quick on his feet.

I usually don't compliment Floyd other than pointing out his obvious technical superiority skills, but wow, I think I may almost be a fan. His character appears to have improved a lot. Being behind bars really changes you. The most I was away for was a week and it was hell. If I didn't have a TV in my cell, I'd probably have started talking to myself (felt like solitary confinement since I only had others in my cell for the first 2 1/2 days). Being gone for 2 months, especially after being so used to all his luxuries, must've taught him to not take freedom for granted. I'm glad he grew up. I've secretly always wanted to like Floyd and I think I just might.

Props to him. I don't think there's anyone today that can take him (even being a former, huge Pacquiao fan), not Broner, Bradley, Martinez or Trout.

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  2. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

LOL! Great analogy!
    He was even taunting Guerrero a few times. "You can't touch me, but I can touch you. Tag! Gotcha."
    Wicked fast. Unbelievably fast.

His post-fight interview was indeed outstanding. That was a gentleman speaking after the fight. Would that he spoke that way all the time!!

Pac four years ago would have won, but that ship has sailed. Today nobody can touch him. He'll take a few more fights just to prove that to the world, and they'll be boring fights, because they'll be one-sided just like this one.

3. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

For what's it worth, I don't want to steal the credit for the Neo analogy. I stole that from a buddy who used it on Facebook lol!

But I couldn't agree with you more on the Pacquiao comment. I think Pac should retire and maintain his professional boxing dignity while he still can. No one today is close to Mayweather's skill. As the Showtime announcers said, he's Father Time's worst nemesis (or was that in reference to B-Hop?) Either way, Mayweather's the runner-up in the outstandin-old-age category.

4. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I would have hate to have paid for this fight. It wasn't a fight.

However, I would totally buy this fight as an "Instructional Boxing Video" for footwork, countering, tactics for fighting a southpaw, and making it all look easy.

5. Tom O'Brien

Tom O'Brien Valued Member

'Money' Mayweather

Much as many want him to lose, he is a great boxer!

6. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

Excellent point. Especially considering Guerrero pretty much fought, or was made to look like, a 2-dimensional amateur fighter, it really places the emphasis on both what not to and what to do.

7. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I have to recant my opinion on Mayweather a bit after further speculation. I still don't think Guerrero deserved to be in the ring with him, but honestly I don't think that many do. There are a few that I think would give Mayweather a run for his money, but even those are questionable. For example, Mayweather looked fresh coming out for the 12th round against Guerrero. His footwork, speed, and ability were all still there after a 12 round fight. Canelo, a person I think Mayweather should fight, looked sloppy and tired against Trout in later rounds (and Trout lost). So while those two fighters who are examples that I think would make for a good fight with Mayweather, I'm also aware that Trout probably doesn't have the technical skill yet and Canelo would probably become progressively worse against Mayweather after about round 6. This all would probably result in another win for Mayweather.

Dude doesn't have a limited game. He has defense, offense, superior footwork and thinking game . . . . he may not be the best in any are but defense but he's skilled/fast/strong enough for it to not matter : P.

Has anyone caught any of his latest interviews? Totally different guy now. I hate when people change and "see the light" or are now "older and more mature." Please dude, give it a rest. You're 36, the time to claim getting older and more mature passed about 8 years ago dimwit.

I still hate his personality/persona, especially with this flip of character.

8. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

Floyd was in a solidary confinement situation too. He was only let out 1 hour a day. I don't think there were any bars at all, so nothing to do except push-ups and shadow boxing most of the time I guess.

9. Saved_in_Blood

So far it doesn't look like the Canelo fight is going to happen due to weight. Canelo came into the ring vs. Trout at 171 lbs and while I didn't catch his ring weight vs. Robert, vs. Cotto he was 150 on fight night. The word was Floyd was also sick that night.

10. puma

puma Valued Member

I saw an interview before the Cotto fight where Mayweather sounded bunged up like he had flu or something.

Why doesn't Alvarez fight someone his own size? Go up and fight Chavez. Or Martinez. Picking on a small welter doesn't look brave, even though I still think it would be fairly easy for Mayweather.

I don't know about anyone else, but this fight with Guerrero had a different feel about it after. Maybe it was the realisation that he isn't going to go on much longer. I don't get the feeling he will see out his last 5 or however many fights it is, out. It just felt different.

11. Saved_in_Blood

Hey bro, i'm on the eastern shore, what part of DE are you in and what MA are you studying?

12. Saved_in_Blood

I think based on manny marquez 3 alone that I would say manny would not have come close to winning. Floyd would have figured him out the same way and would have thrown the same lead right hand over and over again.

Manny didn't want testing, but now that he has a fight vs. Rios he wants it... why now? That's my question.

13. Saved_in_Blood

There are 2 ways to look at it.

1. Floyd doesn't want to give up 20 or more lbs on fight night vs. Canelo and so I don't think it's gonna happen.
    2. Canelo has said all of his fights will be at 154, so as said above, why doesn't he fight Martinez who is a small middleweight and if he wins it would only give him more pull in a fight with Floyd. Chavez needs to move up... he is a pure disgrace to his fathers name and has been spoon fed easy opponents up until he got to an elite... he won ONE rd and all of a sudden he deserves a rematch?? lol!

On a side note, you can expect that no matter who Floyd fights that people will always find something wrong with them... if he beats Canelo they will say he's to green or he was to young, or something else. If he fights Lucas (don't know if you all saw his fight with Peterson but it was impressive) people will say that he had to move up and Floyd cherry picked him. Bradley they will say didn't really beat manny and that he took to many punches in his fight with Ruslan. The excuses are always there however, nothing will change the fact that Floyd is a master boxer and there is no one out there who comes close aside from Andre Ward. He will be the next p4p #1 IMO.

14. puma

puma Valued Member

Pacquiao wants drugs tests for his next fight? Wow! I hadn't heard that.

I agree with everything you said.

15. aikiMac

Seconded. And, wow, I hadn't heard that drug test request either. :eek: + :confused:

16. Saved_in_Blood

yep, manny wants the same testing that Floyd uses... the one that manny's promoter has called corrupt, among other things. Just think, we all got cheated out of the biggest fight of this decade because one guy didn't want testing.

The odd thing about it is that people make the excuses that he said he was willing to do testing... yet he has NEVER taken a single test outside of the dinosaur era tests of the NSAC.

Manny wanted a 21 day cut off and then a 14 day cut off (supposedly). The funny part about it is that Alex Ariza, manny's strength and conditioning coach has also supposedly been linked to 2 different fighters winding up with liver issues (Morales and Corrales). Now before I point the finger at what that might be, I will say there are a lot of things that can cause liver issues... however oral steroids are very well known to cause these problems. It's been denied that both were in the hospital for these liver issues... BUT, I do know a reporter who had an interview with Ariza and when he asked him about this Ariza physically chased him out of the wildcard gym and then tried to fight him. Look guilty much?

Likewise with Marquez, his strength and conditioning coach is quite savvy at being able to beat even the best drug tests out there and he is well known for it.

Marquez is going to fight Bradley next, Bradley has requested that they do DOUBLE drug testing... both with the USADA as well as the VADA. We'll see if Marquez looks as good as he did vs. Manny. I like Marquez and i'd like to believe he's clean, but in this sport? I don't think pretty much anyone is.

17. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

Hey. Just came by searching for your post you mentioned, I'm in upstate Delaware near Elkton, MD. As I just now mentioned in the other thread, I'm studying ninjutsu. What about you? I'm usually up and down from Jersey to DE to northern VA.

18. Saved_in_Blood

I never could find a trainer, so I watched boxing everytime it was on... still do if I can, but I can't watch it here since my Wife is having a baby, so we're trying to save as much money as we can and keep our bills down.

So I was stuck just hitting the speed bag, heavy bag and double end bag. I am trying to get back into it by just shadow boxing for 15-20 minutes a day and just doing each combo until it really comes second nature.

I do study combat hapkido right now. I've been doing that I guess for 4 months now. I'm working on my green belt, which means basically that I have a long way to go to get to BB lol. It's fun though and I always found joint manipulation and locks very interesting.

I'm near Denton actually, so i'm a ways from Elkton. I go to Dover and Camden pretty often though.

19. aikiMac

Me too. My boxing buddy has been saying for at least a year that Manny is doping. I used to want to slap him for the blasphemy, but grudgingly and with much annoyance I have come to accept that even my heros have flaws. I don't like to say it, but secretly I share your opinion. Probably every one of the big names has done it.

20. Saved_in_Blood

Guys don't come up in weight as fast as he did and are able to hurt guys such as margacheato (who was probably a middleweight on fight night) and is known to have a granite chin. Mosley destroyed cheato, BUT Mosley has always been a puncher and even he didn't do that damage.

There are rumors of Floyd using a loophole with USADA as well and that he is on TRT... which is allowed in Nevada as long as you have a TUE (testosterone useage exemption) after showing you have low test levels. Supposedly with USADA this loophole says that 3 tests can be failed, but i'm not sure of all of the details... it's been a while since I read all about it. I do know the reporter who broke the story was actually sent a letter from Golden Boy to cease and desist all further stories about Mayweather or face a lawsuit. Has it been proven? No it hasn't... but it didn't look to good either.