The News Media Are Like Vultures

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by 47MartialMan, Mar 28, 2012.

1. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

2. Hatamoto

Hatamoto Beardy Man Kenobi Supporter

Have to be registered and logged in to see more than "his parents spoke at capitol hill". It's no secret the media are generally quite crappy, but in this case, why?

3. 47MartialMan

The media gets one like this stirred up but ignores other types of news of a similiar fashion

4. StevieB8363

StevieB8363 Valued Member

Hardly. In fact the mainstream media has gone out of it's way to paint Trayvon as an innocent victim.

Trayvon is usually shown like this:

[​IMG]

While Zimmerman is invariably shown like this:

[​IMG]

Fair you think? Not really. The picture of Trayvon is a few years old - taken when he was 13 or 14. The picture of Zimmerman is also a few years old. In 2005 he was arrested for "assaulting an officer" (said officer was an undercover cop who collared Zimmerman's friend in a bar without identifying himself). Zimmerman naturally defended his friend.

Let's see some more recent pictures of the two men:

[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

Looks a little different now, doesn't it? Add to that the fact that Trayvon was Six-foot and an athletic 160 pounds compared to Zimmerman who is 5"9 and overweight. If Zimmerman's claim that Trayvon was pounding his head against the concrete is true, that certainly justifies lethal force.

I don't claim to know what happened that night, but the media could hardly be called "vultures" when most of them have obligingly presented the most positive image of Trayvon and the most negative of Zimmerman.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  5. 47MartialMan

They are vulture because they fly over to pick on thinga without looking for hardcore facts

6. TaekwonPRO

TaekwonPRO Valued Member

Exactly.

7. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

1) He WAS an innocent victim

2) Some random guy (who has been TOLD BY DISPATCH TO DISENGAGE AND STOP FOLLOWING) confronts you? Damn straight I am pounding his head on the concrete

3) Zimmerman created the whole issue so has no basis for lethal force defence to apply

8. StevieB8363

1: If Trayvon attacked Zimmerman (as claimed) he's not innocent.

2: Random guy confronts him: Haven't you told us there's always alternatives to violence? Now you say "pounding his head on the concrete" is an acceptable response. I"m somewhat confused. Besides, Trayvon was on the school football team. Confronted by some random fat guy? Run. No way was Zimmerman going to catch him.

3: Zimmerman created what issue? Challenges Trayvon as to his intentions? That's not cause for violence. Only if Zimmerman engaged in or directly threatened violence would Trayvon be justified in the use of force.

9. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

Kids who haven't done much of anything get shot in urban areas all the time and there is very little media coverage or outrage.

I guess that's the part that truly bothers me. What about all the other young people out there who catch a round and die tragically? The national media is interested in whipping up a big story like this one and all the public figures swoop on it like vultures. There's a lot of other stories about people who deserve not to be forgotten yet are.

10. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

1. Key word "IF" - and it is a big if, especially as Zimmerman's story is not being entirely supported by the witnesses or the phone call which appears to have the youth calling for help before he expires

2. There is always an alternative assuming the other individual is not primed for violence; this guy was - following someone after being told to back off, packing heat and confronting are not evasive strategies. How can you evade someone following you bent on a confrontation?

160lbs is not exactly William Perry now is it? In fact I would say it qualifies as "slight to medium" - if he was built like a linebacker this argument would have more strength; it is weak at best

3. Zimmerman initiated the whole thing - end of. He had a hard-on for chasing this kid down and was going to make damn sure it happened. He was armed and followed a teen - if he was that concerned he should have just backed off and wait for the patrol, who were minutes away. His refusal to do so - EVEN WHEN TOLD TO DO SO - shows his mindset.

People can try and spin it how they want, but a young teen was shot and killed for wearing a hoodie.

11. StevieB8363

1: I agree with you re. the "IF". That's the key issue here. If Trayvon didn't start a fight then he's an innocent victim.

2: Depends on the nature of the confrontation. Being asked "what are you doing" is not a threat. As for evasion, I repeat, Trayvon was undoubtedly a faster runner than Zimmerman. 160 lbs not impressive? I weigh a little less than that, but I'm confident that if I slammed someone's head against concrete I could kill them.

Depends. If Zimmerman is lying about the attack, then yes. If he isn't, then Trayvon was killed for being a violent thug who tried it on the wrong person.

Any rate, this is now coming under serious investigation so let's leave it until we hear some hard facts. Like I said, I don't claim to know what happened, I was just commenting that the media "vultures" weren't feeding off Trayvon.

12. 47MartialMan

Here is the spin.

We don't know what truly happened

First, just because a dispatch tells you not to do something, if you are part of a group watch, it is your civic duty to observe and report. Even if that means to follow.

However, the key words are "observe and report"

Now, perhaps the youth grew weary of being followed and perhaps created a harsh attitude towards (which I wouldn't want to be followed)

However, if both created a harsh attitude towards each other, both became engaged. As EITHER, could have left the scene.

Yes. The youth could have out ran the older man.

Yes. The older man could have followed without engaging in any manner be it verbal or otherwise

Black youths get killed everyday and for stupid reasons.

NOW. This whole thing is blown out of proportion looking for it to be a "racial battle cry"

This is "Rodney King" all over

However, the roles were reversed in this incident;

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/10/13/florida.teen.burned/index.html

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/c...ntence-in-michael-brewer-burning-2247286.html

Somehow, only when it is white upon black is when there is a large public outcry.

13. StevieB8363

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgR7gCxXQYg&feature=player_embedded]Zimmerman's 9-11 call[/ame]

14. 47MartialMan

Thereby, from that call, did he sound racist?

Did he sound irrational?

Did he sound like he wanted or was looking to harm or kill anyone?

15. 47MartialMan

qwerty poiuy

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  16. StevieB8363

No. He sounded like a concerned citizen. Note the context here:

"We've some break-ins in my neighborhood"

"He's coming to check me out"

"These [daffodils] they always get away"

I see no evidence of racism or homicidal intent.

17. 47MartialMan

Yep. There is no honor in killing someone outside of warfare. In the case of self defense, use of deadly force has to be closely examined