The Myth of the eight hour sleep

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Simon, Feb 25, 2012.

1. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

Uni is the same way :p

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Haha...well if we're talking uni time then I basically reverted to some sort of nightshift sleep pattern. :)

3. StevieB8363

StevieB8363 Valued Member

That raises a question: what was the average life expectancy prior to the 20th century? I'm pretty sure it was less than 40 in Europe. I'm not claiming to have any special knowledge here but the increased age and different lifestyle of modern society must surely make a difference. How many of us could nap during the day if we wanted to? Certainly not me, unless I wanted to get fired.

The "exceptional people" listed in my previous link probably had one thing in common: they were self-employed or "top of the food chain" and thus could write their own rules. Perhaps napping and a short night's sleep simply suited them, or perhaps it suits most people but we simply don't have the option.

4. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Yes agreed by and large. Most people don't really have the option to nap. There at times have been companies here and there that were forward thinking enough to let their employees get power naps in. But I can't see that being taken on board by Megacorp XYZ. Not when the bottom line is the Holy Grail. I remember every time I saw an article on this there was always some scientific study backing up how much more productive employees were when allowed to power nap. If structured properly I don't doubt it.

What I reckon is they should take away all the ridiculous smoking breaks in corporations. Some companies here in HK really lend themselves to this. It's insane... so everyone should be overly concerned with someone not smart enough to get to grips with their habit? So that lot should get upwards of half an hour or more per day on company time that they smoke? So others passing by building fronts should have to deal with the second hand smoke? The general public should have to deal with amount of cigarette butts and trash that end up on the street? Just because smokers can't figure out how to get their lives in order? Rubbish.

/rant

They should focus on proactive policy - power naps and not rubbish like cigarette breaks.

5. StevieB8363

For sure. Smoke breaks reward people with bad habits.

I'm guessing it's only a matter of time before a cancer-ridden employee sues their employer for "enabling" their habit!

6. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Ban cigarettes and make smokers get their fix from dealers like the junkies they are!!!

Oh and the best thing about university was naps at lunchtime. I miss my lunchtime naps.

7. StevieB8363

In Australia, smoking kills more people than illegal drugs, car accidents and crime combined! Why is it still legal? Oh that's right - it's taxable.

Jim Hacker (indignantly): "Smoking kills a hundred thousand people a year and what do we get?"

Sir Humphrey (enthusiastically): "Four Billion pounds a year!"