The Most Honest Intro Ever!

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by flashlock, Mar 26, 2007.

1. flashlock

flashlock Banned Banned

Hi, Martial Planet Folks!

First thing, I don't know if forums are for me. I've been banned by the last three I joined, and it did not take long for it to happen.

If I'm not welcome, just tell me now, I don't want to waste anyone's time, and I'm tired of the frustration.

I join MA forums for one main reason: to test and share my MA ideas. I've given a lot of thought and sweat (and broken ribs) in my pursuit of the best pracitcal systems of martial arts. I don't believe all martial arts are equal--in fact, 99% of them are such garbage, I believe that actually using them in a real life and death situation will LOWER your chances of surviving!

If someone has learned to point a shotgun at their own head and pull the trigger in order to "defend" themselves, I belive, as a teacher and just a human being, I have a duty to tell that person they should turn the barrel around. If they can prove to me that I am wrong, great--we both learned something.

I'm not here to pick fights, troll, and put down arts--if you like what you're doing and you're at least aware that there might be dangers, enjoy your life and I wish you the best of luck. What I'm interested in are specific things: for example, are Paul Vunak's destructions vs jabs more effective than the Rhino block? How easy is it really to go into a clinch vs someone throwing punches? What experiences have you had testing technique X in a real life situation? Things like that.

Just so I'm clear, here, this is what I honestly think and why:

BJJ--THE most effecive fighting system. The US Army and Special forces have used BJJ, augmented with some Muy Thai, as the CORE of their H2H system based on hundreds of real life H2H combat incidents in Iraq and Afghanistan. It dominated UFC events (if the zenith of your art is biting, eye gouging, and pinching, you're in trouble--oh, and multiple opponents? Beat one BJJ guy, then worry about beating two!). Striker vs Grappler, Grappler can usually close the distance (it's really quite easy) and force the fight into his close world. In the US army interviews I've mentioned, all fights involved grappling and striking or grappling only--NONE involved striking only. With BJJ, you have the options of knocking someone out without hitting them (chokes) or, in a worst case scenarior, killing them. Now, the BIGGEST reason you should do BJJ: LIVE TRAINING. From your first class, you will be really fighting, from a set number of basic positions vs a completely resisting opponent. You just can't get that in striking arts (you'd kill your fellow classmates!). As for those who poo-poo BJJ, most of them have never even tried one class of it, they basically don't know what the hell they're talking about. If you haven't tried it, do so, otherwise, you should shut up about it. How can you even have an opinion about something you've never sampled? Sorry, it just IRKS me no end. BJJ turned the martial arts world upside down and had the balls to go out and test their system against EVERYTHING. Gotta give them props. Waiting for the best from the other styles to do the same? Don't hold your breath, they can't do it, sorry, but it would have happend by now (money talks).

RAT System (JKD Concepts)--Rapid Assault Tactics, as taught to the E. Coast Navy SEALS by Paul Vunak, is one of the best stand up fighting systems ever conceived. It is modern, fast, and deadly. I LOVE the straightblast. If you haven't tasted the RAT, you are missing out BIG TIME. Ever been straightblasted? Damn! I've used this system in a real street fight vs an amature boxer--I left him in the hedges with a bloody nose, dazed and confused. I believe in this system, especially if augmented with BJJ.

Muy Thai--My second choice for stand up (heavily influences the first choice, anyway) Training is too hard on the shins, and the punches are poor compared to Western Boxing (I've trained with a former Olympic boxer, then practied with a Muy thai class--sorry, you guys don't punch as well as W. Boxers!). Devastating knees and elbows, though. I would rather get punched five times in the face than receive one elbow or knee to the face.

Also good: JKD Concepts, Kali, Hock Hockheim's system

Now the ugly (I only list systems I've practiced--as I've said, if you haven't sampled it, shut up):

TKD--practice this at your own peril (off balanced high kicks, unrealistic training, no real grappling). Got totally obsorbed by sports and kiddie classes. Won't work on the streets.

Kung-Fu--Too stylized with strange "chi energy" ******** emphasis. No real grappling game. Too rigid.

Ninjutsu--made up by Takamatsu and Hatsumi--their claims of linneage have not been recognized by the Japanese. Techniques too circular (and therefore slow), geared to work against heavily armored, slow moving samurai. The training is horrible--no real resistance. Why bother revamping it with To shin do (better things out there, see above)? Grappling game is too limited. Too much training time wasted on impractical weapons and "magic".

Aikido--complete nonesense! Talk about cooperative opponents. I love the wrist throw and shihonage--centering is good--but nothing much else is really practical (unless you want to spend 50 years "perfecting" it).

That is what I really think. I will focus my posts on BJJ, Kali, and JKD, but if someone in the TKD or some other less-than-practical art threads start claiming something that I personally believe will not work, I will challenge them and try to prove my case. It's a duty I belive we should take up. Stand up for what you belive in. Be respectful, but not weasily.

I don't see the point of big long discussions on the history of Crazy Monkey Kung Fu Do, if it can't fullfil its own raison de'tre--namely: WORKING IN A REAL FIGHT.

Prove my ideas wrong! If you can, that helps everyone! What usually happens is this: I make a point about a style that happens to be the favorite style of Moderator X. Moderator X says I'm "disturbing the forum" or "insulting other members"--when all I am doing is, basically, explaining why I think technique Y will not work. People usually call me names, and when I fight back, a moderator (who ignored their initial insult) tells me I've attacked someone, blah blah blah. Pathetic. I hope this forum has some balls.

Now, I'm being honest with what I truly believe, and my main purpose here: comparing methods to see which is the most pragmatic in a real life or death situation. If you guys prove to me that BJJ sucks, and to quit it and take up, say, TKD, I WANT that to happen. Why is "your" martial art so sacred? I've never been like that. I test everything, I don't hold up anything as holy. We must be as scientific and open minded as we can. Why? Because people's lives are at stake here.

If you are an instructor in one of the styles that I think is garbage, I am here trying to hurt your pocket book. That's right. This isn't a place for promoting your dojo--at least I hope not--its to share ideas. If you are truly open minded, you shouldn't ban anyone simply because they disagree with you. I don't automatically respect someone just because they're on a forum, or a moderator. Hell no! You have to earn my respect.

As I will have to earn yours. My first step has been to be completely honest. If you tell me I won't be welcome, fine; but it begs the question... what are you afraid of?

Anyway, sorry for the big intro, and if you feel insulted because I don't like your striking art... tough cookies. I believe I have to be as respectful to others as they are respectful to me. I don't believe flaming helps anyone, but if I think you're being stupid, I might make make a smart ass remark about just that.

I know, you've heard it all before: style vs style, blah blah blah. Well, you haven't heard me! And I hope to hear some interesting takes on things from you guys.

Thanks, let me know if you want me to be a part of your forum or not (I won't take it personally if you do not). If I do join, get ready to back up your opinions... I'm relentless.

Flashlock

2. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

Welcome sugar ray to the global martial arts community that is MAP.

Nothing wrong with putting you views and experiences across.

But dont forget, people do certain arts for different reasons, not everyone trains in their chosen style/art just to be Robocop or judge dread ;)

If there was only a few hardcore "street" styles like you have highlighted, then lots of people will be left with a shortage of what THEY are looking for.

3. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Hi Flashlock, welcome to MAP. Sounds like you've got some strong opinions and the knowledge to back them up. One thing I'd like to say is please search for topics that have been covered before you post new threads (most of the "why don't you train alive?" stuff has been covered many many times, so make sure you have something original to add). Secondly, I don't know why you've been banned from places in the past, but as long as you're not a d1ck, you won't get banned from here. Alot of people turn up here on a mission and end up wrecking threads that have nothing to do with their beliefs. If someone posts "Where do I get a black ninjutsu gi?", you are not furthering your mission by posting "Ninjutsu is pathetic, where's the resistance, you should do muay thai" - it's boring, they've heard it before, it's obnoxious and it doesn't answer the question.

I'm not saying that's why you're here and you sound like a smart guy who wouldn't do that kind of thing, but, y'know, it happens all the time so I thought I'd get in early and post the "how not to get yo' ass banned" guide :D

4. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Welcome on board.

I still don't think the Exorcist is the scariest film ever though! :p

5. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

hi, where did you get banned from?

6. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

Hi Flashlock,

Feel free to pop on over to the Ninjutsu forum to discuss the above, we've covered it in some detail.

Also you might want to change the general "Ninjutsu" bit to Bujinkan or X-kan arts, there are some Koryu that have Ninjutsu as part of their curriculum so saying that Ninjutsu as a whole is made up is incorrect. What you really mean is that there are some questions hanging over some of the Ryu in the Bujinkan as Hatsumi Soke has yet to put up for independent inspection the various scrolls he has in his possession, that doesn’t equal it being made up.

No one can say for sure and statements like the above only serve to add to the huge amount of incorrect info that is flying around on the net.

Techniques too circular? Not seen much Koto Ryu then have you? Again another blanket statement that wont really help discussions ;)

Like I said feel free to drop by.

As long as you don't break ToS and put your points across in a civil manner then you'll do fine. I don't delete users posts just becuase I don't agree with them. ;)

Missed this bit :d

My old JKD teacher used to say "when in doubt straightblast" :D

I still pracitce it on a heavy bag now. Has it's uses.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2007
  7. I'd recommend

deleted

I post there under the same name [But not frequently]

MAP is great for socializing, and theres some awesome people here. But Bullshido is way better if you're wanting to learn.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2007
  8. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Hilarious!

Another comedian who thinks he knows all there is to know about 'kung fu', probably based on one or two classes at some crap McDojo. :rolleyes:

Welcome to MAP anyway. I'm sure we'll all learn a lot from you about why we're incapable of ever surviving a single fight EVER in our pathetic little lives because we don't do the same martial arts as you do.

Deja vu, anyone? :rolleyes:

9. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Now who's trying to be controversial? :rolleyes:

10. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

Welcome to the forums. Interesting read and I'm sure a gabillion people are going to disagree with you and hopefully we can all agree to disagree. :)

Just one thing, what style of kung fu do you study? The reason I ask is that you made a giant sweeping statement that you've applied right across the vast spectrum of "kung fu".

I've practiced kung fu for years and never once have we "channelled" chi energy. Grappling and groundwork is just as important as standing and trading blows. I do however agree that some are indeed too stylised and rigid. A system has to adapt and change to meet modern "demands", it's all very well being traditional, but above all it has to be practical.

Enjoy the forum. :D

11. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

That's outrageous!!! Kung Fu in a McDojo??? Surely you mean McKwoon??

tsk, tsk, it's just this sort of narrow mindedness that MAP can do without... :D :D :D

12. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Rags - I have been on this forum 5 years and learnt loads - you've obviously had your brain numbed by all the abuse on Bullshido - coming from a prolific poster of MAP I think that remark is a little unfair. I'd appreciate it if you didn't promote other forums - unless its your own!

13. flashlock

flashlock Banned Banned

Yes! I've met people who told me they don't care if what they're doing would "work" or not--they like the history, the calm movements, the people, or just for exercise. I should re-emphasize I'm speaking only about "street" military systems for real life use--that, right now, is my prime interest.

14. flashlock

flashlock Banned Banned

I was banned from bullshido, budoseek, and martial talk.

15. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

WOW! Takes something to get banned from Bullshido...

You're gonna be interesting I can tell :D

16. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

What the hell did you do to get banned from Bullshido??

17. flashlock

flashlock Banned Banned

Good points. I'll check out your section, thanks.

18. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Ninjutsu? ;) :D

19. flashlock

flashlock Banned Banned

I thought their wikipedia entry sounded too much like an ad. I altered it. They said I "vandalized" it--I didn't.

20. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

Id say just chill out mate. Its only a forum, put your views across but in a more relaxed way and fun way. Your not going to conquer the world on an internet forum