The more I research...

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by Creeper, May 8, 2004.

1. Creeper

Creeper New Member

The more I research Kickboxing the more confident I feel in wanting to add it to my curriculum so it makes me more well rounded. My BJJ training provides great trapping and grappling but almost no long range or short range attacks.

In the spirit of JKD, 'Keep what is useful and throw away what is useless', it seems that BJJ + Kickboxing leaves you with the most efficient set of skills with almost nothing to throw away. Mixing other martial arts like TKD, Karate, Kung Fu, Judo, might cause severe overlap and a more intense thought process of what to keep, what to discard, and what to modify as a hybrid. None of the techniques in Kickboxing exist in BJJ, and none of BJJ's techniques exist in Kickboxing. I've always felt Western Boxing was a great asset to BJJ, but Western Boxing's teechniques is really a subset of Kickboxing, therefore in theory Kickboxing should be a better martial art to add to BJJ than Western Boxing.

Anyone else agree?

2. makato

makato New Member

Ive always thought kickboxing is better because your taught how to knee elbow kick and punch while with boxing its just punching

3. Adam

Adam New Member

Actually, I would do boxing or MT instead. With boxing, you'd develop your handwork REALLY well, as opposed to dividing your training time between hand and footwork 50-50 in kickboxing, and I have a theory that excellent hand skills would be better to have in a real fight than decent hand AND kicking skills.
    Muay thai has hand skills as well, and teaches you the almighty clinchfighting with elbows and knees, something that American kickboxing doesn't focus on at all.

This is of course just my uneducated opinion, and you should optimally visit any KB, MT and boxing gyms to see what level of instruction and training intensity they offer.

4. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

I'll add my educated opinion then.

I agree with your analysis :D

5. markyg

markyg MAP Muppet

Ditto!! I personally do JJJ and Kickboxing but I would certainly consider Muay Thai if there was a school near me....wouldnt mind giving BJJ a try either!

Note: This is an uneducated opinion :D

6. Hybrid_Killer

Hybrid_Killer New Member

Yup Adam is 100% correct.