The MAP movement mash-up

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Smitfire, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I recently watched a light hearted programme about the history of exercise in the UK and was pretty impressed by the various movements and organisations through the decades, that brought fitness to the masses. Great clips of hundreds of people all doing synchronised routines and exercises.

In a similar vein I have a book called "My System" by JP Muller from 1939 (but written earlier) that is supposed to give you "15 minutes exercise a day for health's sake".
    In martial arts we have Joon Rhee (the pioneer of TKD in the US) that did his "Daily dozen" for basic health.
    There's also the Yoga sun-salutation that is a short routine meant to be done in the morning.
    Grapplers have mobility drills that do similar things.

I wondered if the people of MAP could come up with a modern variation on this idea?
    Pool our ideas of mobility drills and such that we like?

Some basic criteria..
    It should be a fairly simple, but still comprehensive, system of movements and exercises that aren't crazy strenuous but covers all the major muscle groups and take the joints through a good ROM?
    Something suitable to do daily that will help maintain basic fitness and function?
    Something that might be used as a warm up for a more strenuous workout or a stand-alone routine to get you goling in the mornings or on rest days.
    Something that doesn't take much space and is done in 15-20 minutes?
    Somethingt that won't leave you in a sweaty heap on the floor.
    Something that doesn't involve much rolling about on the ground so you can do it in different locations?
    Stuff like that.

It's something I've tried to do (largely unsuccessfully) for years.

Anyone wanna start off with a movement or exercise they like? Any basic ideas?

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Yep I've got a ton of them I run people through outdoors on a daily basis. They fit much of your criteria... full range of motion... ability to progressed for those in need of more of a challenge.... a lot of bang for the buck eg. don't take any kit to set up and are streamlined in terms of time.

I'll come back and post up some vids of them... should get some of them filmed on Sunday (tomorrow).

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

As I've got older I have reached the conclusion that you don't need to train like a pro boxer to maintain health and good movement. What you do need is to keep moving and make those movements similar to that of a young child.

Squat, roll, twist and turn, jump, climb and so on.

Great idea for a thread.

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I knew you guys wouldn't disappoint! :)

For me the Sun salutation has always been a component of my warm-ups and mobility drills.
    I've got a weak back and so feel maintaining the forward and backward mobility in the spine is useful.

5. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Couldn't agree more. Things change with age. You can't train at 40 with the same protocol you did at 25 or even 30. The body changes. Fact. I deal with this more and more... not only with myself... but also with my clients. Many of them are not exactly young. There are a whole host of considerations... which is why I tend to cringe any time I see anyone under 30 hand out a training regimen... they are usually so myopic and forget that not everyone can hit plyometrics straight out of the box. They also forget that people must crawl before they can walk... and you must be able to design a program that takes that into account.

A great many people have really poorly wired movement patters.... ok for getting by in life... but not all that great when it comes to explosive movement drills. So it's always best to assess instead of guess. Jeebus I could go on forever... I see it sooooooo much in trainers under 30... they haven't quite hit that crux yet where they've had to really change up their own training so in many ways it hasn't sunk in for them.

6. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

i actually tried to do this ages ago in the videos thread, almost no one participated :p

here's a thingy i did as a mobility routine for myself, which i ended up doing only twice because i'm a lazy bugger. maybe it'll give someone some ideas as to different exercises (all unequipped except a few with tennis balls and one with a stick or similar):

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDtyIT47tjg"]mobility workout - YouTube[/ame]
    (turn the annotations on, every move has a short descriptive title)

i think i had a few more that i didn't put into the clip, though. need to check my notes.

7. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Nice topic!

Too many people forget about general joint health in favour of just doing intense cardio or heavy weights. IMO for the majority of the desk job bound population mobility and postural corrective exercises are as important (if not more important) as pounding a way on the treadmill or benching 2x your bodyweight.

I have 4 mobility drills that I try to do regularly, either as a warm up, a cool down or active recovery on rest days. They take about 20 minutes and work on taking my joints through a natural range of motion, correcting imbalances and loosening up tight muscles. They come from Eric Cressey's, Mike Robertson's and Bill Hartman's DVDs 'Magnificent Mobility' and 'Inside Out' with a couple of other exercises added in. Joe Defranco also has some good mobility drills that can be found online 'Agile 8' and 'Simple 6'

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgxr6xAB5ZM"]DeFrancosGym.com - Joe DeFranco's Upper body warm-up routine - YouTube[/ame]

http://www.defrancostraining.com/ask_joe/archives/ask_joe_08-10-03.html#question04

My current drills are:

Mobility Drill 1:
    Cat/camel x12
    Bird dog x10 each side (es)
    Side lying trunk twist x8 es
    Calf stretch x10 es
    Fire hydrant x 10 es
    Supine bridge x12
    Side to side leg swing x10 es
    Anterior posterior leg swing x10 es
    Supine scorpion x8 es
    Pull back butt kick x5 es
    Squat to stand x8 es
    Foam roller parallel x10
    Side lying rotation extension x10 es
    Scapular pushups x10
    Shoulder circles big/little x10 forward and backwards
    Scapular wall slides x10 (minimal range due to shoulder issue)
    PNF diagonals with lunge x10 es
    Active wrist mobilization x10 up/down/side to side/round and round
    Clams
    Side leg lifts

Mobility drill 2:
    Yoga twist x8 es
    Bird dog x10 es
    Calf stretch x10es
    Fire hydrant x10es
    Side to side leg swing x 10es
    Windmills x8es
    Single leg supine bridge x8es
    Prone scorpion x8es
    Cradle walks x5es
    Miniband side step x10es
    Deep wideout drops x 10
    Foam roller perpendicular
    Quadruped thoracic extension rotation x10es
    Scapular pushups x10
    Dynamic blackburns x10
    Reach roll and lift x10 es
    Posterior lunge with posterolateral reach x10 es
    Wrist rotations x10 each direction
    Clams
    Side leg lifts

Mobility Drill 3:
    Side twist x10 (es)
    Bird dog x10 each side (es)
    Side lying trunk twist x8 es
    Calf stretch x10 es
    Fire hydrant x 10 es
    Supine bridge x12
    Side to side leg swing x10 es
    Hip corrections x10 es
    Supine scorpion x8 es
    Squat to stand x8 es
    Walking spiderman x5 es
    Reverse warrior lunge with twist x10 es
    Foam roller segmental x10
    Side lying rotation extension x10 es
    Closed cain extention/rotation x10 es
    PNF diagonal x10 es
    Side lying rotation with clenohumeral internal rotation x10es
    Split stance rotation x10 es
    Closed chain kinetic mobilization x10
    Clams
    Side leg lifts

Mobility drill 4:
    Bent knee twist x8 es
    Bird dog x10 es
    Calf stretch x10es
    Fire hydrant x10es
    Anterior posterior leg swing x 10es
    Windmills x8es
    Single leg supine bridge x8es
    Miniband side step x10es
    Deep wideout drops x 10
    Alternating lateral lunges x10es
    Crossover overhead reverse lunges x10es
    High knee walks x5 es
    Foam roller perpendicular
    Quadruped thoracic extension rotation x10es
    T-pushups with external rotation x10
    Shoulder circles big/little x10
    Scapular wall slides x10
    High step with rotation x10 es
    Closed chain extention mobilisation x10
    Clams
    Side leg lifts

Plus I try to do some foam rolling at the end of each training session. I work on 1 body part a day and often do a full body session on rest days. I also try to do shoulder mobility work a couple of times a day.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  8. Fish Of Doom

this is a pretty good hip thingy: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBHzXF-mVjY"]Super Squat Hip Sequence pre-workout - YouTube[/ame]

and this for shoulders: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDd6fwUgJIE"]Shoulder rehab exercises - YouTube[/ame]

also: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AetPlaG_-Qs"]Mobility warmup - YouTube[/ame]

indicentally, one thing i've found is very good for neck muscles is unilateral overhead pressing (particularly the 1-arm kettlebell jerk. should work with DBs too, haven't tried with two weights at once), which is logical, since the shoulder and neck muscles are related.
    in tai chi we used to do a similar exercises where we'd stand in the relaxed, straight-spined posture, palms facing each other in front of the chest, and each rep we'd look up (without compressing the cervicals), press one hand upwards (without raising the shoulder), press the other hand downwards, relax, go back to the start point, and repeat to the other side. that one always did quite a number on my neck as well.

9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Good, good stuff. Loving it.
    With joint mobility do people favour starting with the feet and going up or starting at the neck and going down? Or doesn't it make much difference?

One thing I've noticed about my drills is how the arts I've done over the years have flavoured what I do.
    For example as a pulse raiser I often do a Capoeira "ginga" move rather than jogging on the spot or skipping. It's fairly low impact and whole body and you can do it in a small space.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV-Sf5-aCcc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV-Sf5-aCcc[/ame]

For arm/shoulder mobility I do an exaggerated "mawashi uke" from the karate kata Sanchin (or Tensho).

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O9wIkIbFy4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O9wIkIbFy4[/ame]

Stuff like that gives my warm-ups a "martial" feel that I like. :)

10. Fish Of Doom

i prefer starting from the feet, since it's my legs that are going to hold me up (and move me, depending on what i'm doing) during the rest of the routine, so i like having them limbered up first of all. at points where i've helped my dad and brother exercise with joint mobility warm-ups, they've preferred to limber up the spine first. i can see merits for both approaches, but i prefer legs first. i also do shoulders and arms before neck, but can also see uses for mobilizing the neck before the shoulder girdle.

11. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I start with hip rotations and side bends because for me it eases and back problems. I can also really feel where any stiff points are that may need working on.
    From there it is trunk twists and shoulder rotations, the usual stuff.
    Once the upper body has woken up I move to jogging on the spot. I add ittle half punches that go at the same speed as the feet.

I really like this movement and use it a lot. it gets heat into the body before doing any leg raises. It also helps with fluid punching.

here I demonstrate the movement for a slightly different reason, but the movement is the same. I just don't use resistance when warming up.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejQdvMsVLwY&list=UUCEvC8J27lX6ns2hNgY3zUQ&index=9&feature=plcp"]100 Punch Challenge.wmv - YouTube[/ame]

Once this is done and there is heat in the muscles I do the usual leg raises, bodyweight squats and so on.

12. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

Speaking of cap and cap-related thingies...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPwG2hqnOx0"]Ido's Squat Clinic Routine - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufAUAYrxfIY"]Locomotion Conditioning Routine Beginner - YouTube[/ame]

13. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

I just stumbled on this one but it contains a lot of what I've done for warmups, and I still do some of these, just not all

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaR72bpjSa4&feature=g-vrec&context=G22397f2RVAAAAAAAADg"]20 Awesome Warm-up Exercises, Shawn Phillips AMPED Warm-up, How to Warm-up - YouTube[/ame]

This one I bookmarked from a Slip post recently, gotta get me a roller for home use, just too eager to skip things in warmup and post workout at the gym

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnEiYxbzM4Q&feature=relmfu"]Post-Workout Routine- Corrective Stretching and Self-Massage - YouTube[/ame]

14. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

15. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

For "stuff" read "torso and butt". :)

16. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

Good idea, things I'd consider nessisary.

Must loosen/stretch the hip flexors
    Must activate the upper back and teach scapular tracking
    Loosen the pec and pec minor
    Increase ROM in foot dorsiflexion

Effectively undo the damage that a few years in front of a computer or behind a wheel has done.

I'm thinking things like 'mobo walk', Cuban press, some yoga, BW squats etc. as well as some form of SMR and stretch

I'll be giving this some thought, really cool thread.
    I tend to play around with a Light kettle bell for recovery/restorative work when I'm a bit tight or bored, although I'm in no doubt that it'll need to become lighter and easier when I get a bit older.

17. Fish Of Doom

speaking about dorsiflexion, i've found that explosive overhead kettlebell movements seem to help with mine, or at least it feels like it. i know i feel pressure (and sometimes get DOMS) on the soles of my feet when i do stuff like heavy swings, snatches, etc, and my single-KB overhead squat feels a lot more mobile than my barbell back squat, for some reason (haven't tried with two yet).