The MAP Breakfast Club

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by slipthejab, May 30, 2010.

1. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Post what you had for breakfast.

I'm always curious as I've come to the conclusion most people skip breakfast. I usually make breakfast heavy as I've been out for eight hours and need some sustenance! As they say... breaking the fast!

I'll kick it off:

Sunday, May 30th, 2010

1 green pear... soft...

1 cup Brazilian coffee with 1 teaspoon condensed milk in French press
    (I haven't got a good espresso maker at the moment so French press does an ok job. But just ok)

3 eggs fried sunny side up (light oil)

5 slices of loin of lamb sauteed with garlic and chilli
    (I buy it frozen and it's cheap and tasty. Hard to find fresh lamb in the butchers here)

1/2 cup (approx) fried brown rice (from leftovers)
    (A short grain brown rice)

2 slices brown bread
    (this is the crappest brown bread ever but it's what I had)

pinch of sea salt
    (salt is much needed with as much training as I do and I experiment with the different flavors of sea salt)

total time... 15 min... results... damn tasty!
    Kicking myself for not throwing in some long green chilli's with the lamb. A vegetable and tasty! Next time.

I'm convinced that if people ate better at breakfast their day would go better and the rest of their diet wouldn't be so crap.
    Eating late meals at the end of a long day to me seems the number one reason why people get so fat and out of shape. Eat and then tired as the blood
    leaves the extremities to aid digestion and then sit on sofa and flip channels and drift off... welcome to fat slob land.

Last edited: May 30, 2010
  2. Kobudo-man

Kobudo-man Valued Member

I fail to see why this is in the general martial arts section... Also I was hoping for a reference to the classic John Hughes movie :(

3. Crane Strike

Crane Strike New Member

Generic Power Bar.

Water.

I'm usually in a big hurry in the morning so that is all I get.

4. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Hmm.. maybe we can get a MOD to move it. I'm not that fussed though.

5. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Good call Slip.

Breakfast is so important. It sets you up mentally and physically for the rest of the day, and how much you eat and what you eat really do determine how your day goes in my opinion.

Personally I've never understood how so many people either always skip breakfast, or manage to eat the same thing day in day out.

I'm sitting at the computer with my normal 'starter' - a cup of white tea, 2 hours later than normal on a Sunday morning - but engaging in my usual am routine. Get up, let the dog out and feed her while I make a cup, and then send out as many work e mails and catch up on MAP while the 'poison' of the caffeine seeps through my system. Normally then for me it's time to take my meds, wash, walk the dog and then have some proper food.

So this morning, looking at my fridge and cupboards:

3 rashers unsmoked back bacon - grilled
    2 cherry tomatoes - grilled
    2 fried eggs - over easy
    sunflower seed brown bread - toasted, with butter and thick cut marmalade.
    Pint of water
    pint of water mixed with cranberry juice

Should take 10 minutes to cook, 10 minutes to eat.

6. cavallin

cavallin kickin' kitten

I'm liking this - if having a huge breakfast is one other way to be more healthy then i'm all for it ;)

I normally eat porridge with rice milk, and a mug of lemon flavoured green tea. Although yesterday (Saturday) I had a grilled open panini baguette with tomatoes and mozzarella (homemade of course)

yum!

7. sakumeikan

sakumeikan Valued Member

I read this forum in the hope that there might be items of interest relating to Martial Arts on this Web site.I fail to see how having a Breakfast Club fits this criteria.The next thing we will have is members sending in their Mums Favourite Apple Pie recipes .What next ? How about articles on needlework/ flower arranging etc.Stick to posting articles based on Martial Arts.If you want culinary advice seek out a Cook Book website.

8. Hatamoto

Hatamoto Beardy Man Kenobi Supporter

Woke up with low sugars and incredibly hungry, so grabbed some beef and mushroom soup with some toast in and a mug of coffee. Rather nice it was, too :D

9. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Working nights, my "breakfast" is usually dinner but when I get home from work at 7am I'll usually have the following:

Bowl of instant oatmeal (2 packets)
    Piece of fruit
    Cup of coffee with a scoop of vanilla protein
    2 glasses of milk

10. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Cup of tea and a fag. I really need to re-think my breakfast routine

Nice thread idea Slip. It's good to be guilty, might make me change

11. Moi

Lurk more, post less

12. sakumeikan

sakumeikan Valued Member

Lurk more /post less

Fair point made here.The content of this Forum at times makes me wonder why I read the stuff.Could be I am ever optimistic that maybe some good stuff might be written here.I live in hope.

13. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Today wholemeal roll with goat's cheese, toasted bagel and banana, huge mug of Green Chai, 1000mG VitC and a B complex.

14. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Could be that if you don't see how nutrition contributes to a martial artists training you will never "get" the good stuff.

15. John Titchen

Since this forum is quite well divided into sub forums, and each thread is titled, there shouldn't be any need to subject yourself to items that do not interest you at all.

The forum does contain large amounts of random chat, banter, and discussions of outside interests by members, but it also contains large quantities of pure gold in many of the sub forums. If you haven't found any of this yet then perhaps it's not the right place for you!

16. Moi

If it's martial arts info you're after then don't use the new posts button. Dig a little and look out for anything with a sticky.
    Personally I think this thread is an excellent idea as it gives other peoples takes on what is often, myself included, neglected.
    Sharing information is what MAP is about, not all of it is directly related to martial arts directly. This subject however is.

17. Ninjuries

Ninjuries The Man Who Genbukan Supporter

As a Ninpo student, I had a boatful of pirates for breakfast. :)

Then I had a strong decaf coffee, weetabix with protein, and a banana. Multivitamins and omega 3 also. 28g protein, 500 cals.

18. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Normally just a couple of slices of toast or a bowl of cereal and a mug of coffee will do me but I really should get up a bit earlier and go back to my student breakfast of toast, bacon sarnie, apple and a cup of coffee.

19. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I never eat breakfast. The idea that breakfast is the most important meal of the day is a myth propagated by cereal manufacturers.

20. John Titchen

LOL.

You'd have though that if it was their line they'd actually produce something that people would want to eat instead of wood shavings.