The MAP - boxing training photo thread

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by slipthejab, Jul 21, 2010.

1. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Ok fella's here's the deal...

I'm forever coming across great old images of the fighters of yesteryear training in some way I've never seen before. As we all know there is nothing new under the sun... what's old is new again. More fitness industry fads than ever going on these days and yet you're not going to find anyone more fit than your oldschool boxers were. Their training regimens and lifestyle made them tough as nails. So this thread does a few things:

1) pays homage to the fighters of yesteryear many of who have long been forgotten

2) gives us insight into how they trained and allows us to consider how we train now

3) gives us a chance to try and take some of this type of training on board in our time

I'll kick off thread with a few shots from my MASSIVE collection of boxers doing oldschool training.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  2. slipthejab

Attached Files:

3. slipthejab

Attached Files:

4. slipthejab

text source: http://cyberboxingzone.com/boxing/yjthom2.htm

Attached Files:

5. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Spider Kelly

[​IMG]

6. slipthejab

Attached Files:

7. 47MartialMan

Austin Gibbons:

[​IMG]

8. 47MartialMan

Jack Dempsey

[​IMG]

9. slipthejab

Guys... one thing I'd ask... if you post... please post pics with a description of why they're doing what they're doing and give us some insight into the methods of conditioning and training. I'd hate to see the web just become a vintage boxing photo thread because there are way too many vintage boxing photos out there. Let's try to keep it to something specific about the training that strikes you as interesting or insightful. Just posed shots of oldschool boxers doesn't give us much insight into their training.

Thanks.

10. 47MartialMan

Rocky Marciano

[​IMG]

11. 47MartialMan

Oops..

OK, I'll go back and post some info with each pic I posted

12. 47MartialMan

This thread is a interesting, but could be greatly vast.
    Perhaps there should be a list of;

* The 15 top

-Heavy Wieght
    -Middle Weight
    -Light Weight
    and so on.

Then, picking from the list. allow another poster to conduct research and add a bit a trivia to their selection

Coming from a family background of Italian-Latino on one side and Irish-French on another, there were a few boxing contenders within my family history.

On my wife's side, her dad (as well as other relatives) was a boxer, (his side-Italian), and her mother's side, are German and Scots, with her side having a few boxers.

I once met a boxer, by the nickname "Ironman Lee". (I can not remember his whole or actual name.) He would adjust his weight (with serious diets of) to compete in different weight categories. I met him as he would come into our dojo to have us kick and punch on him as a human punching bag. He gave us a handful of ringside tickets to many boxing events, some he did not compete. Of a few I watched him fight, he mostly would stand there and allow people to hit on him without defense. Many of his opponents would freak cause they would realise that they could not seriously damage him, hence they call him "Ironman".

13. slipthejab

Attached Files:

14. slipthejab

:bang::bang::bang:

dude... I've set out the purpose of the thread. Seriously. Go back and read my initial post.
    The thread IS about old school boxing training with images and what type of insight we can gather from the old pix.

I don't want a thread mucked up with tons of different directions. I don't want it about random boxing trivia and I sure as hell don't want another top 15 thread. The boxing world is full of useless lists like that. They don't give any real insight into training. Make a separate thread. Seriously. The boxing forum on MAP is slowly dying because threads that drift and don't provide enough valuable info... I don't want the thread to become a showcase for random boxing pics. That's a waste of of a thread. Please post stuff that is on topic.

15. 47MartialMan

How about this;

Kid McCoy;

[​IMG]

16. 47MartialMan

How about this;

Kid McCoy;

[​IMG]

17. 47MartialMan

And This;

Ali;

[​IMG]

18. slipthejab

Sigh... ok let me try this again.

Just posting random pics of boxers just doesn't cut it. Did you read my initial post at all? Have you seen what I've posted and how I posted it? That's what I'm looking for. Something that leads to a more in depth discussion of the training methods of oldschool boxers physical conditioning.

NOT glamour shots (unless they show some form of conditioning)

NOT random boxer pics (unless they show some form of conditioning)

NOT old boxing technique manuals (unless the focus is conditioning not boxing technique)

Post a shot and then give us your opinion of why what they're doing is a valid method of conditioning - add some insight into why you feel it's still useful or how it's changed and why. The focus should be on vintage boxing pics showing conditioning methods. Ideally from the just prior to the turn of the century till about the late '60s or early '70s.

The last thing I want is a thread just becomes one big random mish mash of items that has no real focus. I want the thread to remain on topic and for people to be able to get something out of it. You've mucked up the thread so far with 7 posts that don't make any sense relative to the thread. Two of those are double posts and the rest are press shots that have nothing to do with conditioning!! :confused:

If this keeps up this thread becomes a pointless waste of time and effort.

19. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Methinks 47martialman has had too many shots to the noggin. Talk about missing the point.
    I've some old books on boxing. Might see if I can scan some shots in and add to this thread.

20. 47MartialMan

LOL :bang: :evil::star: