The London Marathon - Who has taken part?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by murphy81, Apr 22, 2007.

1. murphy81

murphy81 GM COMPUTER SERVICES

I am seriously considering taking part in the London Marathon in 2008/09 (depending on fitness), and was wondering -

How many people have taken part, and how much training did YOU need to do before hand? And how DID you feel afterwards?! :cry:

I am not in great shape to be honest, but have the motivation and determination to gain the fitness level needed, and enter either next year, or the following, depending on my fitness level throughout the year.

Any helpful advice or comments are welcome

2. Emil

Emil Valued Member

I haven't yet, but next year I hope to enter.

3. tom pain

tom pain I want Chewbacc for good

Start training ASAP.

I'm hoping to the Cardiff half-marathon at some point. This year would have been nice, but after my leg might have to postpone it!

4. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

the general consensus is that you should start training no later than August.

5. Emil

Emil Valued Member

The way I plan to do it is to set myself goals in the way of other races, e.g. In September, I am going to run the Great North Run (which is a half marathon), and in a month, I am running in a 10k race. Having recently suffered quite a bad illness, my running isn't as good as it used to be. However, by setting these goals for myself, I can push myself to get fit enough for tha marathon. I just have one question, to anybody who may know. What is the maximum distance I should run when peaking in my training for the London Marathon?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2007
  6. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

7. prowla

prowla Valued Member

I would love to be able to do one.
    I started training up for it many years ago, in my early 20s, and got up to half distance.
    But I lost interest.
    I'm due to start a bit of running as part of my general training, so maybe in a couple of years I might give it some serious thought.

8. holyheadjch

26.2 miles would be ideal

9. murphy81

Man im going to die just training.....:eek:

Holyhead, is August the recommended month to start training for everyone? Im guessing it would depend on your current fitness, as to when you would start.

10. holyheadjch

I think August is about right if you are already reasonably fit. If you weigh 25 stone and consider walking to your car exercise you might want to start a few months before that.

11. tom pain

tom pain I want Chewbacc for good

Why not just start straight away? If you work at it now you won't finish the marathon curled up into a ball on the floor.

Besides, when it comes to getting fit, theres no time like the present. :)

12. Emil

Emil Valued Member

Well, I thought about that, and then read that athletes are advised to have a 5 week break after running the london marathon to allow the body to recover. If this is the case, taking a five week break off after every session would make training quite difficult.

13. holyheadjch

I imagine the elite athletes run 20 miles+ a couple of times a week. If you can get to the point where you can do it once a week you would be in great shape.

14. holyheadjch

Of course starting now would be better, starting yesterday would have been even better, but August is the recommended time to start training (assuming you havn't already)

15. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

16. holyheadjch

17. murphy81

Ive been training properly for the past month or so, but have only just seriously considered doing it. In the past, I have felt exausted just watching it on TV!

I get days when I really want to train and be 110% ready for it, but then days come where I think "why do I want to do this?"

I have a number of reasons why I want to take part, both for myself and for others, but struggle to find that little bit extra motivation to train myself harder, and push myself further.

How do you guys push yourself during training?

18. Emil

Emil Valued Member

As i posted earlier, to keep myself motivated, I enter as many races as possible, so that I'm doing at least one every month, of any distance, be that 5k, 10k, half marathon, etc. Having short term goals like this allows me to take my mind off the fact that i have got to train for one race, because I am not. I am training for every race.